iPad mini Scratch-Proof Glass?

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I know that previous iPads have used Gorilla Glass or glass types of equivalent scratch resistance and strength. I'm seeing rumors around the net that the iPad mini does not have as strong glass in order to reduce costs. Has anyone heard anything about this or do we pretty much need to wait for an ifixit tear down to know for sure? I never use screen protectors on my tablets and I really don't want to have to start now.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you suspect that the strength of the glass will be at least comparable with other iPads? Or is the iPad mini's glad definitely less resistant?

Also, how do people even know this for sure with the iPad mini not even released yet?

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it is. Apple wouldn't release a screen prone to scratches.....I think ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it is. Apple wouldn't release a screen prone to scratches.....I think ;)

Very true, even if they were trying to reduce costs, apple isn't the type to cut corners on something like this.

I'm sure it's gorilla glass but nothing is scratch proof just scratch resistant. Also Apple has never officially admitted that any of their devices use gorilla glass even though everyone knows it.
I know, I know, nothing is "scratch-proof" :). Gorilla glass comes close though! Really, they've never confirmed that they use it? I did not know this...

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
No gorilla glass. Not even Gorilla Glass 2 is scratch resistant. If you don't want any scratches or scuffs put on a screen protector or protect it with great care.

I was at the Apple store (problem with iPhone 5) and was talking to several of the people there. From what they have been told the Mini has the same front glass and rear material as the iPhone 5. (We were discussing the black versions of both.) I had joked that perhaps the White Minis had sold so quickly because people were afraid of the reported ease of scratching the back material on the black iPhone 5. The guy who was helping me said that the black backs did not really scratch any easier than the ones on the white phones, but because it was a black material, the scratches looked more obvious.) Take it for what it is worth.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I was at the Apple store (problem with iPhone 5) and was talking to several of the people there. From what they have been told the Mini has the same front glass and rear material as the iPhone 5. (We were discussing the black versions of both.) I had joked that perhaps the White Minis had sold so quickly because people were afraid of the reported ease of scratching the back material on the black iPhone 5. The guy who was helping me said that the black backs did not really scratch any easier than the ones on the white phones, but because it was a black material, the scratches looked more obvious.) Take it for what it is worth.

That makes sense. Perhaps Apple should have put a protection layer/cover over the black back. Might have helped with the issues. Just a thought.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

That actually makes sense because the scratches would expose the raw aluminum. The silver aluminum would stand out against the black, making it much more obvious in the black version since the white one already has a raw aluminum back. It doesn't scratch any easier, the scratches simply show up more prominently.

stanimal98

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually heard that the iPad mini is using chemically strengthened soda lime glass, which is not as good of a quality as chemically strengthened gorilla glass for scratch resistance. This is to save costs. The Amazon Kindle is probably more scratch resistant than the new iPad mini, so take extra precautions if you do get an iPad mini.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I scratched my ipad mini 'glass' the second day I owned it (before my case came in). It slid off my desk at work and landed face down on my plastic chair mat. The dirt between the plastic mat and the screen caused 3 scratches on the screen, luckily they are on the bezel area (non screen) and are now mostly covered by the case I have. Bummed, but it could of been MUCH worse. It WILL scratch

tlbaker1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I scratched my ipad mini 'glass' the second day I owned it (before my case came in). It slid off my desk at work and landed face down on my plastic chair mat. The dirt between the plastic mat and the screen caused 3 scratches on the screen, luckily they are on the bezel area (non screen) and are now mostly covered by the case I have. Bummed, but it could of been MUCH worse. It WILL scratch

Is this covered under insurance?

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have insurance on my iPad. Bought it from BestBuy and didn't buy the insurance. Oh well.... :-/

I have thought about replacing the screen, but since the scratches are under my case and not on the screen area, it's not really a big deal.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Confused.... you say you scratched the "glass" but then say it was the bezel and not the screen..... which is it?

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. The front 'glass' covers the screen AND the bezel (or non-lighted / border part of the front).

Scratch near home button
ebyma5yr.jpg

Scratch on right bezel
e4a6anug.jpg

But in the case, the scratches are mostly covered. (I got lucky)
evabe6ag.jpg

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. The front 'glass' covers the screen AND the bezel (or non-lighted / border part of the front).

Scratch near home button
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/18/ebyma5yr.jpg

Scratch on right bezel
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/18/e4a6anug.jpg

But in the case, the scratches are mostly covered. (I got lucky)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/18/evabe6ag.jpg

This is the exact reason why I apply a screen protect on my iProducts right out of the box. You are lucky here, though, as you can't see those scratches with your case on the iPad.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you drop it and then stomp on it.

I have had apple products for years. Never used and protection. All I have ever done is get hairline scratches on the screen that you almost need a microscope to see.

I can't see how people are so abusive to there things.

Don't want scratches... Don't be a clutz

Simple.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I am pretty careful (normally) with my electronic products. I have had an iPad, iPad2, iPod Touch, and iPhone 4 all before the Mini. I did not run screen protectors (but always a minimal case) on any of them and never scratched the glass.

But this was an accident (accidents do happen on occasion). As I said, this was a release day mini and I was waiting on my case to get delivered, so it was unprotected at the time. I had it sitting on a microfiber cleaning cloth on my work desk. I went to get coffee and came back and it was face down on my plastic chair mat. Apparently the cloth wasn't lying completely flat and tilted it enough to slide off onto the floor. I was super bummed afterwards (and still kinda am) but am happy it isn't any worse.

Needless to say, I have a screen protector on my new iPhone 5 after this event.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711