Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am somewhat confused by this post, as the iPad and iPad mini serve different needs. I pre-ordered an iPad mini to replace my 1st gen iPad for easier reading of news and ebooks one handed. So, in my case, the mini makes sense. A regular iPad wouldn't make any sense to own. So, you have to decide based on your use case. All things being equal? If you don't need a retina display or don't care, go for the iPad mini and return the iPad.

site32

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
IPad and iPad mini service the different demand, personally I want something lighter, more portable, so I choose mini iPad

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think this thread might be why people pick on Apple-Fanboys. We are discussing two electronics that share the same operating system. The two devices are a mere inch or two different in sizes. The weight differential is more than likely even less of a difference than size. With minor differences in computing power, we're talking about roughly the same device(s).

Is the choice of which device to use really THAT challenging? I don't mean to be rude, but this is comical guys.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think this thread might be why people pick on Apple-Fanboys. We are discussing two electronics that share the same operating system. The two devices are a mere inch or two different in sizes. The weight differential is more than likely even less of a difference than size. With minor differences in computing power, we're talking about roughly the same device(s).

Is the choice of which device to use really THAT challenging? I don't mean to be rude, but this is comical guys.

I would actually agree with this, it's not a case of buying two ten dollar hats so you can choose which to wear, as seems to be the general idea of this thread. It's two expensive pieces of hardware that are virtually identical apart from size. It's like buying a 52" tv for your living room and then buying a 50" tv just in case sometimes you want to watch your shows on a slightly smaller screen.

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now, I'm sitting in my rocking chair, holding my iPad 2 in my left hand and "typing" with my right hand. My left elbow hurts because of the weight of the iPad... I am so looking forward to my iPad mini delivery today. The size of the mini is what I hoped the iPad would be originally. I even held off buying an iPad because of the size. I will keep my iPad 2 so my grandson can play his games. He isn't going to touch my mini. <g>

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think people should be able to get what they want long as they have the means to get and pay for them. I don't know why anyone would care honestly.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I have the mini and the 3rd gen retina. There's definitely advantages to both big and small form factors as I am I am finding my bigger IPad far easier for email yet the mini is so much more portable for meetings. I think you look less like a show off too with a smaller device, although perhaps that's just me. Will definitely use the mini for commuting and for reading, but am unconvinced about whether it is ergonomic enough for content creation. I blog a fair bit but am unsure the mini will be fun to do this with. And will I write letters on it? Unlikly. I am wondering whether games will be more fun in the landscape mode with the mini. The jury is still out- it's lovely to look at though!

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with my iPad 3 and use it every single day, and take it everywhere with me as part of my mobile office. I am also going to get a mini (but not an iPad 4) because it is lighter, smaller and will fit in my smaller purses for when I don't necessarily need my entire office with me.

And when I am using my mobile office, having an additional device will also allow me to keep my phone free for just texts and calls. :)

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
IPad and iPad mini service the different demand, personally I want something lighter, more portable, so I choose mini iPad

Yes. They're the same product, just one is a bit smaller. They're exactly the same apart from that - they perform the same functions, have the same OS and (roughly) the same external components. Buying two of the same product, especially at the high prices that are being charged, is ridiculous.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. They're the same product, just one is a bit smaller. They're exactly the same apart from that - they perform the same functions, have the same OS and (roughly) the same external components. Buying two of the same product, especially at the high prices that are being charged, is ridiculous.

No what is ridiculous is that you seem so disturbed that someone would own both. Just cause you see no reason or value makes absolutely no difference to those that do. I have the money and if want both models then what's it to you?

DAB using Tapatalk HD
iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White iPad 4 16GB White

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No what is ridiculous is that you seem so disturbed that someone would own both. Just cause you see no reason or value makes absolutely no difference to those that do. I have the money and if want both models then what's it to you?

DAB using Tapatalk HD
iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White iPad 4 16GB White

Disturbed? I'm not disturbed in the slightest, although I should point out that you seem to be getting a tiny bit defensive. I have simply given my opinion on owning 2 devices that perform exactly the same functions with just a small difference in size, and my opinion is that it's a complete and utter waste of money. I'm sure if you didn't agree you wouldn't have bothered responding.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Disturbed? I'm not disturbed in the slightest, although I should point out that you seem to be getting a tiny bit defensive. I have simply given my opinion on owning 2 devices that perform exactly the same functions with just a small difference in size, and my opinion is that it's a complete and utter waste of money. I'm sure if you didn't agree you wouldn't have bothered responding.

That is your opinion and opinions are like assholes everyone has them and this is my response. When you earn the money that I and other spend then you can have some say over what is or isn't a waste of money. I have nothing to defend as I know how I use the devices and while they are the same, they both play different roles in the way that they are used. For you, if one is all you need then so be it, but for others owning both isn't ridiculous at all.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I never said I wished to have say on what people spend their money on - I'm just giving my opinion on what I feel to be a waste of money. Spending ?250 on a smaller version of an already expensive item simply because "it's a tiny bit easier to carry" is ludicrous, and I have a feeling that those who do such things have a rather bad control over their own cash.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Once again that is your opinion for you, but that just isn't true for everyone. So, you've given your opinion and I've given mine, we disagree. I think the size has made a big difference in the way I use the device. I never connected the larger iPad to the audio system in my car, but I do the iPad Mini which is even controls the music app and Pandora for long trips. I find the size makes is more conducive to take to meeting and when have to take quick trips to various offices. I just never bothered with the larger one. Which I do use a great deal at home because it just seems to work better there. So, one is for work and use in the car and the other is for use at home and because it has a bigger display which is better that adds to the pleasure. Not to mention other family members using it.

You don't have to see a point in why people are buying both. But to say its ridiculous, waste of money and ludicrous just shows how shortsighted some people (YOU) can be. I have ZERO financial worries or concerns. What people do with their money shouldn't be a concern of yours. You've decided what is best for you, but that clearly doesn't apply to everyone.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Once again that is your opinion for you, but that just isn't true for everyone. So, you've given your opinion and I've given mine, we disagree. I think the size has made a big difference in the way I use the device. I never connected the larger iPad to the audio system in my car, but I do the iPad Mini which is even controls the music app and Pandora for long trips. I find the size makes is more conducive to take to meeting and when have to take quick trips to various offices. I just never bothered with the larger one. Which I do use a great deal at home because it just seems to work better there. So, one is for work and use in the car and the other is for use at home and because it has a bigger display which is better that adds to the pleasure. Not to mention other family members using it.

You don't have to see a point in why people are buying both. But to say its ridiculous, waste of money and ludicrous just shows how shortsighted some people (YOU) can be. I have ZERO financial worries or concerns. What people do with their money shouldn't be a concern of yours. You've decided what is best for you, but that clearly doesn't apply to everyone.

Once again, spending ?250 (at least) for a slightly smaller version of something you already have is ridiculous, and it being slightly smaller is the only reason you've given me for buying it. In regards to using your ipad at home, I'm also assuming you have a laptop - and an iPhone. I would assume your laptop is a mac, and so basically you have a smaller ipad for when your big ipad seems just that tad bit heavy and an ipad for when you just can't be bothered to turn on your laptop and a laptop for whenever the previous two expensive items feel too small. And then to top that off you have an expensive iphone. You're right, it's not up to me what people spend their money on, but I can still take comfort knowing I have the self control to not spend thousands of (insert currency) on items that perform the exact same functions. I could totally understand if you'd sold the big ipad/given it away, if you're so financially secure, but it's laughable to try and justify your uncontrolled spending.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't have to justify anything and its funny that you feel you need to justify why someone shouldn't buy both, (perhaps because you can't afford it) even though I can and have stated how they will be used. You sure make a lot of assumptions that are not in evidence.. I have no laptop.

I am really glad you are happy with your decision, I am happy with mine and ultimately that is all that matters! We are done, you are boring me now! I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to justify anything and its funny that you feel you need to justify why someone shouldn't buy both, (perhaps because you can't afford it) even though I can and have stated how they will be used. You sure make a lot of assumptions that are not in evidence.. I have no laptop.

I am really glad you are happy with your decision, I am happy with mine and ultimately that is all that matters! We are done, you are boring me now! I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL

I could very easily afford both, actually, but as I have already said I have more self control. You have stated how they will be used - you could do everything on one ipad easily, either the mini or the larger version, your feeble justifications are funny. Good for you having no laptop. Just two iPads, for some reason. Glad you're happy, and I'm glad I've seen that there really are no reasons to get two iPads (going by your reasoning) and that I'm apparently boring you (I think you've just been worked into a corner. And the funniest thing about your last post is the very last line: "I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL"

I completely understand. You somehow feel you NEED to buy an ipad mini when you already have an ipad. Now THAT is funny. LOL

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If people can afford both - more power to them. There are people in the world that "waste" money on way pettier, or less useful things. The mini serves a great purpose - smaller, lighter - great to read in bed, or carry around. A full size ipad is great for those that use it as a laptop replacement (assuming they can do all they want/need from the ipad). I see no reason to bash or criticize anyone who gets both.

I had an ipad 3, but sold it to get a mini. Wasn't sure I'd like the mini, but turns out I LOVE it and it's the perfect size - more like what I was really needing. The ipad 3 was not getting used nearly as much. I have a macbook so for me, a full size ipad had less usefulness that an iPad mini.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73