Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #26  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    I think this thread might be why people pick on Apple-Fanboys. We are discussing two electronics that share the same operating system. The two devices are a mere inch or two different in sizes. The weight differential is more than likely even less of a difference than size. With minor differences in computing power, we're talking about roughly the same device(s).

    Is the choice of which device to use really THAT challenging? I don't mean to be rude, but this is comical guys.
    I would actually agree with this, it's not a case of buying two ten dollar hats so you can choose which to wear, as seems to be the general idea of this thread. It's two expensive pieces of hardware that are virtually identical apart from size. It's like buying a 52" tv for your living room and then buying a 50" tv just in case sometimes you want to watch your shows on a slightly smaller screen.
  2. #27  
    2BTs4Me's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Right now, I'm sitting in my rocking chair, holding my iPad 2 in my left hand and "typing" with my right hand. My left elbow hurts because of the weight of the iPad... I am so looking forward to my iPad mini delivery today. The size of the mini is what I hoped the iPad would be originally. I even held off buying an iPad because of the size. I will keep my iPad 2 so my grandson can play his games. He isn't going to touch my mini. <g>
  3. #28  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I think people should be able to get what they want long as they have the means to get and pay for them. I don't know why anyone would care honestly.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
    ladyc0524 and swarlos like this.
  4. #29  
    Team George's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I have the mini and the 3rd gen retina. There's definitely advantages to both big and small form factors as I am I am finding my bigger IPad far easier for email yet the mini is so much more portable for meetings. I think you look less like a show off too with a smaller device, although perhaps that's just me. Will definitely use the mini for commuting and for reading, but am unconvinced about whether it is ergonomic enough for content creation. I blog a fair bit but am unsure the mini will be fun to do this with. And will I write letters on it? Unlikly. I am wondering whether games will be more fun in the landscape mode with the mini. The jury is still out- it's lovely to look at though!
  5. #30  
    LVMHgirl's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    373 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.4

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I am very happy with my iPad 3 and use it every single day, and take it everywhere with me as part of my mobile office. I am also going to get a mini (but not an iPad 4) because it is lighter, smaller and will fit in my smaller purses for when I don't necessarily need my entire office with me.

    And when I am using my mobile office, having an additional device will also allow me to keep my phone free for just texts and calls.
    Formerly PCgirl on CB.com and BBForums
    Star-Tac --> Nextel (ugh!) --> BB 8100 --> 8300 --> 8900 --> 9700 --> iPhone 4S --> 5
  6. #31  
    poe2_beruang's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Choose n use wisely, thats the point. Retina eye thats the main concern.

    Sent from my CROSS A10 using Tapatalk 2
  7. #32  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by site32 View Post
    IPad and iPad mini service the different demand, personally I want something lighter, more portable, so I choose mini iPad
    Yes. They're the same product, just one is a bit smaller. They're exactly the same apart from that - they perform the same functions, have the same OS and (roughly) the same external components. Buying two of the same product, especially at the high prices that are being charged, is ridiculous.
  8. #33  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    Yes. They're the same product, just one is a bit smaller. They're exactly the same apart from that - they perform the same functions, have the same OS and (roughly) the same external components. Buying two of the same product, especially at the high prices that are being charged, is ridiculous.
    No what is ridiculous is that you seem so disturbed that someone would own both. Just cause you see no reason or value makes absolutely no difference to those that do. I have the money and if want both models then what's it to you?


    DAB using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White iPad 4 16GB White
  9. #34  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    No what is ridiculous is that you seem so disturbed that someone would own both. Just cause you see no reason or value makes absolutely no difference to those that do. I have the money and if want both models then what's it to you?


    DAB using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White iPad 4 16GB White
    Disturbed? I'm not disturbed in the slightest, although I should point out that you seem to be getting a tiny bit defensive. I have simply given my opinion on owning 2 devices that perform exactly the same functions with just a small difference in size, and my opinion is that it's a complete and utter waste of money. I'm sure if you didn't agree you wouldn't have bothered responding.
  10. #35  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    Disturbed? I'm not disturbed in the slightest, although I should point out that you seem to be getting a tiny bit defensive. I have simply given my opinion on owning 2 devices that perform exactly the same functions with just a small difference in size, and my opinion is that it's a complete and utter waste of money. I'm sure if you didn't agree you wouldn't have bothered responding.
    That is your opinion and opinions are like assholes everyone has them and this is my response. When you earn the money that I and other spend then you can have some say over what is or isn't a waste of money. I have nothing to defend as I know how I use the devices and while they are the same, they both play different roles in the way that they are used. For you, if one is all you need then so be it, but for others owning both isn't ridiculous at all.
  11. #36  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I never said I wished to have say on what people spend their money on - I'm just giving my opinion on what I feel to be a waste of money. Spending £250 on a smaller version of an already expensive item simply because "it's a tiny bit easier to carry" is ludicrous, and I have a feeling that those who do such things have a rather bad control over their own cash.
  12. #37  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Once again that is your opinion for you, but that just isn't true for everyone. So, you've given your opinion and I've given mine, we disagree. I think the size has made a big difference in the way I use the device. I never connected the larger iPad to the audio system in my car, but I do the iPad Mini which is even controls the music app and Pandora for long trips. I find the size makes is more conducive to take to meeting and when have to take quick trips to various offices. I just never bothered with the larger one. Which I do use a great deal at home because it just seems to work better there. So, one is for work and use in the car and the other is for use at home and because it has a bigger display which is better that adds to the pleasure. Not to mention other family members using it.

    You don't have to see a point in why people are buying both. But to say its ridiculous, waste of money and ludicrous just shows how shortsighted some people (YOU) can be. I have ZERO financial worries or concerns. What people do with their money shouldn't be a concern of yours. You've decided what is best for you, but that clearly doesn't apply to everyone.
  13. #38  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    Once again that is your opinion for you, but that just isn't true for everyone. So, you've given your opinion and I've given mine, we disagree. I think the size has made a big difference in the way I use the device. I never connected the larger iPad to the audio system in my car, but I do the iPad Mini which is even controls the music app and Pandora for long trips. I find the size makes is more conducive to take to meeting and when have to take quick trips to various offices. I just never bothered with the larger one. Which I do use a great deal at home because it just seems to work better there. So, one is for work and use in the car and the other is for use at home and because it has a bigger display which is better that adds to the pleasure. Not to mention other family members using it.

    You don't have to see a point in why people are buying both. But to say its ridiculous, waste of money and ludicrous just shows how shortsighted some people (YOU) can be. I have ZERO financial worries or concerns. What people do with their money shouldn't be a concern of yours. You've decided what is best for you, but that clearly doesn't apply to everyone.
    Once again, spending £250 (at least) for a slightly smaller version of something you already have is ridiculous, and it being slightly smaller is the only reason you've given me for buying it. In regards to using your ipad at home, I'm also assuming you have a laptop - and an iPhone. I would assume your laptop is a mac, and so basically you have a smaller ipad for when your big ipad seems just that tad bit heavy and an ipad for when you just can't be bothered to turn on your laptop and a laptop for whenever the previous two expensive items feel too small. And then to top that off you have an expensive iphone. You're right, it's not up to me what people spend their money on, but I can still take comfort knowing I have the self control to not spend thousands of (insert currency) on items that perform the exact same functions. I could totally understand if you'd sold the big ipad/given it away, if you're so financially secure, but it's laughable to try and justify your uncontrolled spending.
  14. #39  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I don't have to justify anything and its funny that you feel you need to justify why someone shouldn't buy both, (perhaps because you can't afford it) even though I can and have stated how they will be used. You sure make a lot of assumptions that are not in evidence.. I have no laptop.

    I am really glad you are happy with your decision, I am happy with mine and ultimately that is all that matters! We are done, you are boring me now! I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL
  15. #40  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    I don't have to justify anything and its funny that you feel you need to justify why someone shouldn't buy both, (perhaps because you can't afford it) even though I can and have stated how they will be used. You sure make a lot of assumptions that are not in evidence.. I have no laptop.

    I am really glad you are happy with your decision, I am happy with mine and ultimately that is all that matters! We are done, you are boring me now! I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL
    I could very easily afford both, actually, but as I have already said I have more self control. You have stated how they will be used - you could do everything on one ipad easily, either the mini or the larger version, your feeble justifications are funny. Good for you having no laptop. Just two iPads, for some reason. Glad you're happy, and I'm glad I've seen that there really are no reasons to get two iPads (going by your reasoning) and that I'm apparently boring you (I think you've just been worked into a corner. And the funniest thing about your last post is the very last line: "I love it when folks work so hard to convince themselves they don't need something. LOL"

    I completely understand. You somehow feel you NEED to buy an ipad mini when you already have an ipad. Now THAT is funny. LOL
  16. #41  
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    LCW's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    If people can afford both - more power to them. There are people in the world that "waste" money on way pettier, or less useful things. The mini serves a great purpose - smaller, lighter - great to read in bed, or carry around. A full size ipad is great for those that use it as a laptop replacement (assuming they can do all they want/need from the ipad). I see no reason to bash or criticize anyone who gets both.

    I had an ipad 3, but sold it to get a mini. Wasn't sure I'd like the mini, but turns out I LOVE it and it's the perfect size - more like what I was really needing. The ipad 3 was not getting used nearly as much. I have a macbook so for me, a full size ipad had less usefulness that an iPad mini.
    pink2 and OTACORB like this.
  17. #42  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    If people can afford both - more power to them. There are people in the world that "waste" money on way pettier, or less useful things. The mini serves a great purpose - smaller, lighter - great to read in bed, or carry around. A full size ipad is great for those that use it as a laptop replacement (assuming they can do all they want/need from the ipad). I see no reason to bash or criticize anyone who gets both.
    Finally someone with some common sense that actually gets it.

    This conversation quickly lost all reasoning and became about winning an argument. I learned a long time ago it's best to let the unreasonable stew in their own nonsense.



    DAB
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    pink2 and LCW like this.
  18. #43  
    sprocket2107's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    244 Posts
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    I am in no way trying to add fuel to the fire but I don't think Retconaddict was bashing anyone. He/she were simply stating they disagree with the OP's view. It's really not a big deal. Not everyone can agree. It's great to have other opinions. They were simply stating their own opinion. Nothing wrong with that. People just need to respect others opinions.
  19. #44  
    chadec's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    And back to the OP's question...

    I have the 3 I can't be bothered to get the 4 based solely on an incremental upgrade. However, I have been interested in the mini. I read a lot at night and the weight difference is significant enough to consider having another *same* device just to leave on the night stand. I use my iPad every day and would not give up the size of the standard iPad in every day use, only in instances where I have to hold it up for extended periods of time it would be nice to only have half the weight.
  20. #45  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    Finally someone with some common sense that actually gets it.

    This conversation quickly lost all reasoning and became about winning an argument. I learned a long time ago it's best to let the unreasonable stew in their own nonsense.



    DAB
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    I agree, once you started getting defensive I knew you just wanted to win an argument.
  21. #46  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by chadec View Post
    And back to the OP's question...

    I have the 3 I can't be bothered to get the 4 based solely on an incremental upgrade. However, I have been interested in the mini. I read a lot at night and the weight difference is significant enough to consider having another *same* device just to leave on the night stand. I use my iPad every day and would not give up the size of the standard iPad in every day use, only in instances where I have to hold it up for extended periods of time it would be nice to only have half the weight.
    I agree I think just for what most use the iPads for that upgrading from a 3 to a 4 is unnecessary. I think your point that the footprint and weight vs the full size iPad make having both very useful and meet different needs.

    My family today over our lunch asked me to return our iPad 4 in favor of another iPad mini for this very reason. They maybe the same, but how they are used for some of us is the difference. They feel the full size is not as comfortable to use. Now we will have 2 of the exact same product. Oh my! LOL


    DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White
  22. #47  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    I agree I think just for what most use the iPads for that upgrading from a 3 to a 4 is unnecessary. I think your point that the footprint and weight vs the full size iPad make having both very useful and meet different needs.

    My family today over our lunch asked me to return our iPad 4 in favor of another iPad mini for this very reason. They maybe the same, but how they are used for some of us is the difference. They feel the full size is not as comfortable to use. Now we will have 2 of the exact same product. Oh my! LOL


    DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White
    Apparently poor money impulse control runs in your family.
  23. #48  
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    LCW's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

    Well if he's returning a 4 (still within the return period) and getting a mini, he's actually saving money so how is that "poor money impulse control"?

    For some, the mini is a better form factor.
    OTACORB likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. iPad mini vs IPad 4
    By Devinfowlkes15 in forum Original iPad mini
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
  2. Crazy "iPad Mini" idea
    By bobbob1016 in forum Original iPad mini
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  3. ipad mini
    By cardfan in forum Original iPad mini
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
  4. Transferring Purchases from iPhone to iPad
    By Drazzel in forum Original iPad
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

B