Official waiting for iPad Mini pre-order pajama party!

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the Apple Store "We'll be back" web page look off to you? On my browser the text is not centered in the little Post-it Note; its running of the margins...

apple.jpg

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Any drawbacks in performance or speed with the small size?

It's not running the latest A5X or A6X processor, but for what it's worth, neither is the iPad 2, and the iPad mini is essentially a shrunken iPad 2. Sounds like Apple voodoo or something!

That being said, the iPad 2 performs just fine with the A5 processor, so I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.

Mactually

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Any drawbacks in performance or speed with the small size?

Assuming you're talking about the iPad mini, it is using the processor that was introduced last year with the iPad 2. It is used in the iPhone 4S as well, and it provides a smooth iOS experience. The A5 processor is nothing short of fantastic in real world use.

twinmomma416

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So I'm buying an iPad Mini for my wife tonight and I have a 32 gig iPad 2. We just got iPhone 4s's, and I'm really wishing I could sell off my iPad 2 to buy a 4th gen iPad. However, my iPad is engraved and I was super disappointed to see the drop in trade in value as a result. Anyone had success selling an engraved on CL or eBay?

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a setting that lets you lock the the device into an app with a passcode. You can also designate specific areas of the screen that will not respond to touch. For example, if you wanted to not only lock your kids into the Netflix app, but also prevent them from leaving the "just for kids" section of the app.

I'm a math instructor and use guided access for quizzes/exams. Students running iOS 6 give me their device and I lock it into a calculator app that I approve of. When they are done with their quiz/exam, I unlock it for them.

That's part of why I love this site. Most all of you have regular jobs outside of it, and you just do this because you love it. Glad to hear a first-person account of how Guided Access can be helpful!

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking I will be holding off. Wife has an iPad 2 16GB wifi that she's happy with and I have an iPad 3rd Gen 64GB + LTE. Was looking at getting the Mini as it would be more convenient for me to work from while on-the-go but the lack of a Retina display has me waiting until next year when it has one (as I am sure it certainly will).

Anybody else in the same boat as me? I am considering maybe getting the fourth generation iPad with Retina to replace the iPad 2, but that feels extraneously frivolous due to us already each having an iPad that meets our needs fine.

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So, any drawbacks with the mini vs the normal size iPad?

3 potential as I see it - 1) smaller screen size; but that might be a benefit, depending on how you're looking at it. Definitely more portable. 2) slower processor/less RAM (anticipated); so it's less likely to run the latest-and-greatest games that are on the bleeding edge of technology as well, and 3) lower resolution on the screen; it's definitely not Retina quality, but should be plenty pleasant since Apple's got legendary quality to their builds.

anniyan428

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So I'm waiting to order the 4th generation (for my dad) and mini for myself. The last few weeks in college, I've come to realize all my work and notes are in PDF form and it would be so much more convenient to annotate research papers, download notes, and study off of a tablet rather than drag around the Macbook Pro with the battery cutting off after 3 hrs (especially on busy days where there are no outlets left at the library). Anybody have suggestions for must-have college apps?