Official waiting for iPad Mini pre-order pajama party!

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Really? I haven't had the opportunity to look into that, actually. I don't have kids, so I get to do whatever I want with our iPad now :) I'm sure that'll come in handy in a few years when our toddler's mashing his hands away at the iPad mini (6th generation)...

Definitely look into it. I use this with my niece when she uses my iPhone. Basically, it disables the home button (you unlock it by tapping the home button 3 times and type in a code) and lets disable certain on screen buttons or sections of the screen entirely. That way, you can let your kid run wild playing a certain game or using a certain app without having to worry about them messing with the settings or deleting your save file, etc!

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
What is guided access on iOS devices? I need to be schooled in the iKingdom!

It allows you to put the iDevice into single app mode. Turning off the hardware buttons and gestures until you unlock it. I use it when I let my son watch Netflix since he likes to watch using his hands.

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So who else is getting the mini in white? I'm also curious, are you a dude or a girl?

For some reason, the general consensus seems to be that the white apple products are for women. I'm a dude and I've always gotten the white versions xD.
Getting White, but I'm a guy buying for my sister

EDIT: But if I were buying one I'd probably buy White for myself, but an Apple product is one of the few I think I would purchase in White for myself

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just set an alarm just in case I fall asleep. I'm not usually this sleepy at this time, but I'm having a hard time staying awake...

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
What are Free Time parental controls?

You can block out a time of day where they can use it, or a fixed period of time where it's available to use. It turns the background a different color, so you can see across the room whether they're doing what they're supposed to or not. And you can limit access to certain apps so that they can only use what you allow them to. But, according to rednocturne307, Apple also offers a version of those controls with Guided Access on the iPad. Honestly, unless you're searching for a cheaper price point, I'd really recommend buying into the iOS ecosystem. It's really picking the winning team at this point.

mich007

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are awake like I will be tonight when the pre orders are supposed to go live on Apple's site (along with the carriers) and you want to pass the time, post here!

We'll have a bunch of iMore writers and forums staff here to chat with, and we'll give away some accessory prizes to people posting in this thread.

What better way to wait?

Everyone know which carrier, capacity, and color they're pre-ordering? Sound off, and good luck!

Still waiting but its for an Apple and the Apple Mini Ipad is Cool!

Mactually

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

It is a feature in iOS that, under password protection from the administrator, keeps the user locked into certain functions of an app. This was particularly designed for children who suffer from Aspergers, but can be used in a restaurant to keep customers from returning to the home screen or it can be used in the classroom by a teacher who wishes to administer a digital test, but doesn't just want the student to go into Safari and look up the answers to the test.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site

It's a setting that lets you lock the the device into an app with a passcode. You can also designate specific areas of the screen that will not respond to touch. For example, if you wanted to not only lock your kids into the Netflix app, but also prevent them from leaving the "just for kids" section of the app.

I'm a math instructor and use guided access for quizzes/exams. Students running iOS 6 give me their device and I lock it into a calculator app that I approve of. When they are done with their quiz/exam, I unlock it for them.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Still not enough if you run 3 miles that's only 250-300 calories if that a m Donald's regular sized hamburger combo is 700 plus calories.

If he's there three hours that's long enough to get a 4-5 mile run in and a good deal of lifting also. Plenty to burn the 700 calories.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods