Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Default What LTE carrier to go with?

I am picking up an iPad Mini when they are available, and since the 4G/LTE versions will not be out for awhile I have time to think what carrier I want to go with.

What do you think will be the best carrier to go with for LTE? I know its going to mainly depend on my location but all three (AT&T, Verizon and Sprint) have great coverage all around me.

I am not adding this to my iPhone plan because I am on my work's account, so I can be swayed to go with any of the three carriers.

What do you think?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'd go with Verizon for broader LTE coverage, but it's ultimately going to be your call and who you feel comfortable with.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1/6.0

Whoever gives you the most bang for your buck is what I'd go with.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: What LTE carrier to go with?

Look at usage amount and best value for your dollar thats the key thing.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Verizon. They have the most LTE coverage.

Global Posts
    7,624 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

How much and where do you travel? The AT&T version's flavor of LTE is supported in the US and Canada. The Verizon/Sprint flavor of LTE works would not work in Canada but would work in more places worldwide.

Note: the above is based on how the LTE works on the iPhone 5. It's probably the same but you should verify.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    How much and where do you travel? The AT&T version's flavor of LTE is supported in the US and Canada. The Verizon/Sprint flavor of LTE works would not work in Canada but would work in more places worldwide.

Note: the above is based on how the LTE works on the iPhone 5. It's probably the same but you should verify.
    I don't travel outside of the US much at all and if/when I do I will not be using cellular service.

I am leaning towards Verizon simply for their coverage but may choose AT&T for the $30/3gb plan, since I use anywhere from 2-5gb with my iPhone, I'm sure ill use 2-3gb with iPad.

Global Posts
    7,624 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Since you don't travel much and all carriers have good coverage where you are, then plan prices would be the main criteria. Sounds like your already thinking about thatů
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

Default Re: What LTE carrier to go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    I don't travel outside of the US much at all and if/when I do I will not be using cellular service.

I am leaning towards Verizon simply for their coverage but may choose AT&T for the $30/3gb plan, since I use anywhere from 2-5gb with my iPhone, I'm sure ill use 2-3gb with iPad.
    Expect to use more data on the iPad. You'll likely be grabbing that before your phone for most browsing.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadec View Post
    Expect to use more data on the iPad. You'll likely be grabbing that before your phone for most browsing.
    I was thinking about that but when I'm home or at work I'll be on wifi, if I'm out and about most likely I will turn to my iPhone or if I'm over a friends house or coffee shop I will use wifi also. I just want the LTE for times when wifi is not available.