Ipad mini price!!!! Horrible

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I'm definitely disappointed in the price. However, just like everything else that Apple makes, it's usually better than the competition. Look at Macbook and it's build materials compared to most pc's. Then look at the iPhone and iPad build materials compared to their counterparts. Before we even talk specs and software, the build materials are premium. The strategy seems different between Apple and everyone else. Apple seems to put more into the build material and design, whereas the competitors seem to be ok with cheap stuff, as long as they can throw as many tablets and smartphones as possible to flood the market. They know many will buy it, as many people are ok with that Samsung-toy-like feel to their phones. As for me, as was said already, you are paying a premium price for a premium device. And thats very true in this case. I'm just going to stick with my trusty iPad 2 until next year, and decide then if I want the next version of the iPad, or the next version of the iPad mini.

Jfountai

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if it was $199, heck i'd be up at midnight friday and get one, or even $250. If they had some cool colors like the touches, I would get one. But that $30 just makes me think about it. My kids would be the main ones using it and freeing up my Ipad 2. but thats a little steep. If it was $250, sure thing. but I think i'll wait till they come down or wait for the retina.

edodo0317

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Seriously think they should lower the price across the board. It has been over 5 years since all the i-device launched. And they are continue to charged additional $100 on all the storage step up. Wish they really reconsider the pricing of their line of product.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Seriously think they should lower the price across the board. It has been over 5 years since all the i-device launched. And they are continue to charged additional $100 on all the storage step up. Wish they really reconsider the pricing of their line of product.

That's not going to happen. They're selling more devices than they can make... why would they even consider lowering the price?

ajfloridian

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
No one seems to grasp that not only does Apple need to make "some" profit on a tablet that potentially costs them $200 to build. But, also if they were to price is at $199 or $249 then it would've had a serious sales impact first on their own big brother iPad. Once people look at this in reality they'll see it won't be much of a "compromised" useability experience compared to the big brother... and would've have happily bought the mini effectively killing the sales of the bigger iPad.

It's only 1.8" smaller in screen size. Don't forget...

So, they just can't "afford" to price it lower than $3xx IMHO. I bet they'll be watching closely what this does to iPad senior's sales numbers in the coming months...

"We live in interesting times!!" :)

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The specs that you left off the list:

The iPad brings with it the Apple Experience... and the ecosystem - the app store and 275,000 apps.

The price difference is not $130, but rather $80 for the 16GB model of each (the $199 Nexus 7 us an al). The iPad Mini has a rear camera, a larger viewing area, and offers cellular (LTE) connectivity - which the Nexus 7 does not. The iPad Mini is also lighter, thinner and has an aluminum case vs plastic on the Nexus 7...

That price you quote is today's price minus the $25 in free Apps from Play-store. Those prices and N7 products will change on Monday (29th) when the N7 goes to only 32GB and 16GB and new prices. The 8GB N7 is withdrawn from sales now. The N7 is expecting at least a 3G cell modem model. I have an iPad and iPhone but my Apple experience wasn't any thing to put a extra value on. BTW, if I want to take a picture I use my iPhone or my digital camera instead of looking like a nerd using a tablet in front of my face saying "cheese"...

paulthefencer

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I never understood that comment. You can't fit an iPad or iPad mini in your pants pocket like you can with the iPod. I have the iPad 3 and the iPod Touch 5th gen. I'm never without either devices. But for me, they each have their purpose. I do not put music on my iPad. That's the job for the iPod. I keep apps like various weather apps, the Starbucks card app, and a bunch of other apps as well on my iPod. But for the bigger apps that require reading, like iBooks, Kindle app, magazines etc, I use the iPad. Plus with regards to all the comments about hoping for an 8 gig iPad mini. With the size of the apps in the app store now, specifically because of the retina display ready apps, 8 gigs would be filled up in no time. An 8 gig iPad of any kind is useless anymore. In my own opinion.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That price you quote is today's price minus the $25 in free Apps from Play-store. Those prices and N7 products will change on Monday (29th) when the N7 goes to only 32GB and 16GB and new prices. The 8GB N7 is withdrawn from sales now. The N7 is expecting at least a 3G cell modem model. I have an iPad and iPhone but my Apple experience wasn't any thing to put a extra value on. BTW, if I want to take a picture I use my iPhone or my digital camera instead of looking like a nerd using a tablet in front of my face saying "cheese"...

Then I suggest you go buy it. Everyone wants to compare the iPad/iPad Mini to the specs of the android tablets, and I have no problem with that at all... as a consumer, I would expect them to do nothing less... but these comparisons invariably leave off this stat or that stat that shine negatively on the product of their choice. I simply pointed out what is available for purchase now, spec'ed as its spec'ed today.

IMHO, using your tablet (any tablet) as a point and shoot camera is folly except in rare occasions where it's necessary... but the memory configuration and cellular configuration of the currently available Nexus 7 is exactly as I stated. And my local Staples and Office Max both have 8GB models available for sale as of yesterday.

And even with the N7 spec bump that you pointed out, Apple is still going to sell a crap load of iPad Minis... so with that, I'm done.

Carry on.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I have an iPhone 5. I absolutely LOVE this thing. But I wouldn't put a dollar value on this "Apple Experience" people keep claiming is worth extra money. Makes no sense to me. If this mini had an A5x at a minimum, and a retina display, you'd hear no complaints from me. But the apologists who say it's Apple, so you're paying for the Apple Experience need to stop. I have just as good of an experience on my N7 as I do on my iPhone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5. I absolutely LOVE this thing. But I wouldn't put a dollar value on this "Apple Experience" people keep claiming is worth extra money. Makes no sense to me. If this mini had an A5x at a minimum, and a retina display, you'd hear no complaints from me. But the apologists who say it's Apple, so you're paying for the Apple Experience need to stop. I have just as good of an experience on my N7 as I do on my iPhone.

Again, we're talking about a subjective thing. To you, the "Apple experience" either doesn't exist or is of no value. Fine. To me (and, apparently, others) it is. Seamless. Works with other iOS devices, AppleTV and MacBook Pro. Integrated experience. iCloud to sync contacts, calendars, data and app data. Got a problem? Go see an Apple Genius and get it taken care of. Yeah, for me, it's worth something.

For example, I can purchase an app on my Apple iPhone and use it on my Apple iPod and/or Apple iPad. I don't have to purchase it again. If you buy it for your Apple iPhone, you can bet your bottom dollar that, if it's even available on the Google Nexus 7, it's gonna cost you again. Have a problem? Hope you're in your initial 14- or 30-day return period. Otherwise, you're more than likely shipping it off somewhere for service.

Again, if you don't see the value in that, good for you. I do. That's all I mean when I talk about the "Apple Experience".

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

You haven't experienced it enough Andrew. Seriously. The ease of integration is worth it. It just all works do well together and everything I buy is right there.

Plus the build quality is amazing as you know.

I'm okay with the screen display on the original iPad so I'm sure the iPad mini will be just as good.

We shall see...if the money is in my bank account....I'll probably pre-order...it's what I have been waiting for.

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Then I suggest you go buy it. Everyone wants to compare the iPad/iPad Mini to the specs of the android tablets, and I have no problem with that at all... as a consumer, I would expect them to do nothing less... but these comparisons invariably leave off this stat or that stat that shine negatively on the product of their choice. I simply pointed out what is available for purchase now, spec'ed as its spec'ed today.

IMHO, using your tablet (any tablet) as a point and shoot camera is folly except in rare occasions where it's necessary... but the memory configuration and cellular configuration of the currently available Nexus 7 is exactly as I stated. And my local Staples and Office Max both have 8GB models available for sale as of yesterday.

And even with the N7 spec bump that you pointed out, Apple is still going to sell a crap load of iPad Minis... so with that, I'm done.

Carry on.
Well the new N7 Prices are out..and will have a cellular configuration

32GB Nexus 7 Is Now Available From Office Depot

Earlier this morning, Office Depot’s page for the 32GB Nexus 7 just went live. There is no picture of the device and it’s only available through in-store pickup. Regardless, it’s still available and only costs $249.99. You can buy one today and pick up it at the store.

Interestingly enough, Office Depot is still selling the 16GB Nexus 7 for the same price as the newly revealed 32GB version. The price is probably going to drop to a more manageable $199 once Google’s Monday event rolls around.

Google themselves are already hinting that the 8GB Nexus 7 is going to be killed off. The device is currently unavailable on Google Play. They may be taking a page out of Amazon’s playbook in how the retailer regularly discontinues products a few days before they’re going to be replaced.

32GB Nexus 7 Is Now Available From Office Depot | WebProNews

Also, 3G Modem

Nexus 7 3G spotted at the FCC ahead of Google event

3G Cell modem is a go for Monday...

Nexus 7 3G spotted at the FCC ahead of Google event | Android Central

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well the new N7 Prices are out..

Earlier this morning, Office Depot’s page for the 32GB Nexus 7 just went live. There is no picture of the device and it’s only available through in-store pickup. Regardless, it’s still available and only costs $249.99. You can buy one today and pick up it at the store.

Interestingly enough, Office Depot is still selling the 16GB Nexus 7 for the same price as the newly revealed 32GB version. The price is probably going to drop to a more manageable $199 once Google’s Monday event rolls around.

Google themselves are already hinting that the 8GB Nexus 7 is going to be killed off. The device is currently unavailable on Google Play. They may be taking a page out of Amazon’s playbook in how the retailer regularly discontinues products a few days before they’re going to be replaced.

Also, 3G Modem

Well then... go vote with your wallet. I have.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Earlier this morning, Office Depot?s page for the 32GB Nexus 7 just went live. There is no picture of the device and it?s only available through in-store pickup. Regardless, it?s still available and only costs $249.99. You can buy one today and pick up it at the store.

Interestingly enough, Office Depot is still selling the 16GB Nexus 7 for the same price as the newly revealed 32GB version. The price is probably going to drop to a more manageable $199 once Google?s Monday event rolls around.

Google themselves are already hinting that the 8GB Nexus 7 is going to be killed off. The device is currently unavailable on Google Play. They may be taking a page out of Amazon?s playbook in how the retailer regularly discontinues products a few days before they?re going to be replaced.

Also, 3G Modem

This is the iPad mini forum. Not the Nexus forum. Get it??

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Earlier this morning, Office Depot?s page for the 32GB Nexus 7 just went live. There is no picture of the device and it?s only available through in-store pickup. Regardless, it?s still available and only costs $249.99. You can buy one today and pick up it at the store.

Interestingly enough, Office Depot is still selling the 16GB Nexus 7 for the same price as the newly revealed 32GB version. The price is probably going to drop to a more manageable $199 once Google?s Monday event rolls around.

Google themselves are already hinting that the 8GB Nexus 7 is going to be killed off. The device is currently unavailable on Google Play. They may be taking a page out of Amazon?s playbook in how the retailer regularly discontinues products a few days before they?re going to be replaced.

Also, 3G Modem

Nexus what??? nobody cares.... this is iMore..... Kick Rocks Google

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
The price of the iPad mini is fine. Anybody's who's bought Apple stuff already knows it's never going to be the cheapest. Take a look at iPods. You can get a cheap MP3 player for like $10. The cheapest iPod is still $50. The reason you buy Apple stuff is because it's easier to use than the competition and you have access to the Apple ecosystem. You buy the iPad mini because you get access to 250,000 tablet apps. If that's not a big deal to the buyer, then he should definitely get a N7 or one of those Playbooks for like $99.

There was an article written by a blogger name John Gruber. In it, he basically describes the "niceness" of the iPhone 5, how it really is a feat of engineering and manufacturing technology. It also applies to just about everything else Apple makes. His premise is that there is value to "niceness," but that value is different for everybody. There are some for whom how "nice" something feels in the hand is of not much consequence, they value utility beyond all, and "bang for the buck" is what they're after. There are others though, for whom "niceness" is really an important factor in choosing something, and for them the so called "bang for the buck" factor isn't as important. It's really for the latter group Apple designs their stuff for because obviously, Apple doesn't need to spend the extra engineering time and money to design their stuff as "nice" as it is. The problem for some is that "niceness" doesn't come free, or their value of "nice" doesn't coincide with how Apple values "nice." In the case of the iPad mini, "niceness" costs $330.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The price of the iPad mini is fine. Anybody's who's bought Apple stuff already knows it's never going to be the cheapest. Take a look at iPods. You can get a cheap MP3 player for like $10. The cheapest iPod is still $50. The reason you buy Apple stuff is because it's easier to use than the competition and you have access to the Apple ecosystem. You buy the iPad mini because you get access to 250,000 tablet apps. If that's not a big deal to the buyer, then he yupshould definitely get a N7 or one of those Playbooks for like $99.

There was an article written by a blogger name John Gruber. In it, he basically describes the "niceness" of the iPhone 5, how it really is a feat of engineering and manufacturing technology. It also applies to just about everything else Apple makes. His premise is that there is value to "niceness," but that value is different for everybody. There are some for whom how "nice" something feels in the hand is of not much consequence, they value utility beyond all, and "bang for the buck" is what they're after. There are others though, for whom "niceness" is really an important factor in choosing something, and for them the so called "bang for the buck" factor isn't as important. It's really for the latter group Apple designs their stuff for because obviously, Apple doesn't need to spend the extra engineering time and money to design their stuff as "nice" as it is. The problem for some is that "niceness" doesn't come free, or their value of "nice" doesn't coincide with how Apple values "nice." In the case of the iPad mini, "niceness" costs $330.

Yup yup....good call

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods