#BLAZEIT: How do you feel about 4/20-related content?

Cella Lao Rousseau

Staff Writer, iMore.com
Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
With 4/20 just around the corner, we're curious to know if you would be interested in reading 4/20-related content! 🌳🔥💨

Whether you're someone who's looking for the perfect stoner game to waste a couple of hours playing, a person who wants to chow down on the best possible munchies in the proximity, or even someone who wants to learn a bit more about different strains & ways to smoke, ingest, and use marijuana through apps and different tech, would content like this interest you in the slightest?

... Or do you think it's a big waste of time, and that appealing to those who smoke weed is inappropriate and ridiculous? 🤔

Let us know what your thoughts are on some 4/20-friendly content below!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Potheads can have their own stoner content, AFAIK.
Just not here, as I truly believe promoting the use of drug on a family friendly tech forum is not only wrong but also, I think (don't quote me on that), illegal.

I'm convinced there are hundreds of forums exclusively for that.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Clean and sober almost 15 years here, so I might be qualified to comment. "420" was my main choice, when I still chose. While I choose not to indulge, I DO recognize that many non addicts (and addicts also) DO indulge. Also in many states marijuana is legal and/or decriminalized. Also in other Countries. I do not have a problem with iMore covering this topic. I can always choose (as I most likely will) to not view those blogs. I don't read the pokemon stuff either, but I don't mind that we have it. They did not close ANY bars when I got sober! ;)

Aquila

iMore Sith
Trusted Member
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I definitely wouldn't want it on the site. We currently prohibit promotion of all other illegal activities, not sure I could explain why this is different.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd jump in here real quick. Love the passionate feedback already!

This is a very topical and important matter in today's society. While in many countries marijuana use is frowned upon and illegal, that is changing more and more every day. Canada is set to legalize it in 2018, and many US states have already done the same.

I get both sides of it. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, that's great too. All I ask is we be respectful of all community members and their point of view :)

@Aquila @pkcable @TwitchyPuppy - I don't think @Cella Lao Rousseau is out to promote anything here. All she's asking for is your opinion on the subject for the benefit of the site. It'll help her craft an editorial calendar based on feedback from valued members and volunteers - like you.

I'm not here to agree or disagree with the subject matter at hand, all I'm saying a respectful discussion of the issue is always worth having. It's exactly the sort of thing (like it or not!) that is going to make our community strong for years to come.

/rant

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
FTR I'm say YES to the content! ;) I just personally won't read it because of my sobriety status. ;) I'm all about openness and free speech etc etc.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Just not here, as I truly believe promoting the use of drug on a family friendly tech forum is not only wrong but also, I think (don't quote me on that), illegal.

There are many families that are currently benefiting healthwise from the medicinal benefits of marijuana. Who knows, some may apprciate further information.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm all for the content, as long as it has focus, is presented in a non-judgmental manner and serves to educate. There's ingrained stigma surrounding marijuana use and I think that needs to change. No one has to accept the opinions of others on it, but at least look at the discussions around it and be educated beyond what has been beat into people's heads since 'Reefer Madness' was released lol.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm 36, born and raised in the Netherlands and there was a coffeeshop (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeeshop_(Netherlands)) around the corner of my high school. And still I had not smoked any weed until I was 25 years old. I didn't need it, I didn't want it back then. At my 25th it was my first time, it was a disaster, I puked all over because I smoked it too fast. A few years later tried it again, didn't like it. A while back I tried it again and didn't like it either. Guess I'm not build to be a stoner.

I don't have any objects regarding threads and posts about weed, marijuana and cannabis. To each his own.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Potheads can have their own stoner content, AFAIK.

I'm convinced there are hundreds of forums exclusively for that.

There are parents who provide marijuana to their children who suffer from epileptic seizures. The notion that marijuana is a horrible drug that should be avoided is simply untrue and theres been research that proves it.

That said, I'd assume the content being offered here has nothing to do with the medical benefits and is for the recreational users. I can just scroll past it. I see nothing wrong with it if they can tailor that content in a tech related fashion.

Also, it's not illegal.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
There are parents who provide marijuana to their children who suffer from epileptic seizures. The notion that marijuana is a horrible drug that should be avoided is simply untrue and theres been research that proves it.

That said, I'd assume the content being offered here has nothing to do with the medical benefits and is for the recreational users. I can just scroll past it. I see nothing wrong with it if they can tailor that content in a tech related fashion.

Also, it's not illegal.

There are always studies and research to contradict one another, anyway.
I have nothing against medical marijuana, however.

And yes, it's illegal. Trust me, if I'm arrested with pot (either on myself or in my car) or I'm growing it, I'm good for quite a while in jail.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There are always studies and research to contradict one another, anyway.
I have nothing against medical marijuana, however.

And yes, it's illegal. Trust me, if I'm arrested with pot (either on myself or in my car) or I'm growing it, I'm good for quite a while in jail.

Sure, there are always contradicting studies. But there really is no disputing the clear consensus of science that marijuana is far less harmful to human health than most other banned drugs and is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. And in a state such as Colorado, it's no more "wrong" than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol. We've got to toss personal opinions on marijuana itself aside here.

But this isn't about marijuana. It's about whether there is an avenue for iMore to discuss it's use. I'd say sure. Just because I don't partake in something doesn't mean others don't. And if there is a way to tie this in with tech and Apple...I'd be interested in seeing how they do it.

I thought you meant the website discussing it was illegal.

If you're caught with it, depending on where you are of course, yes it is illegal. But there is even a grey line there because laws vary by state in in the United States in regards to marijuana use.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Promoting its use is, though.

I doubt we should toss our personal opinions on the matter as that's pretty much what OP wants to know.

Eh, more grey lines. And I'm not sure they are promoting it's use. Everything the OP mentioned appears to be protected by the first amendment.

I'm only talking about laws here in the united states. I have no idea what is or isn't allowed elsewhere. But this certainly isn't new territory by any stretch of the imagination. It's just new to this website.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don’t have an issue with it. I’m an old hippy that misses being a teen in the 70’s.

Pot became legal in Washington State shortly after I moved here to Illinois. My daughter was murdered this past January and we had to go back there to make funeral arrangements and go through her things. If I had not been able to smoke something, I would not have been able to sit on the floor with her three best friends (adults) and my ex-husband and go through her personal belongings. I would've just never made it.

I have never lit up since living in Illinois, my fiancé does not smoke. But when I go back to Washington to visit her grave site I will indeed light up with her best friends and my ex-husband.