Customization Options iOS vs Android

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong section... Go ahead and move it if so...

I'm having a dilemma. I've had my iPhone since launch day but I've also owned my LG G3 since launch day. I've rooted my G3 but I'm not interested in jailbreaking my iPhone as I only rooted my G3 to remove bloatware.

I am thinking about dropping my iPhone for my G3 as I miss the screen size (should have gotten the 6+) and the customization options on it are awesome. If I decide I want cyanogenmod for a day I can download it and I always have the option of going back to the stock rom and unrooting.
Without Jailbreaking the iPhone doesn't have half of these options. I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong but I'm also very indecisive (if you can't tell already) so I like being able to change up my phone on a moments notice. I can move apps around on my iPhone but that's just about it.

Do y'all miss the customization options if you came from Android? How do you 'cope' ?

Sent from my iPhone 6 128GB SG using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Totally understand the dilemma. Cyanogen is one of the distributions I like. They have some really cool options as do other custom ROMs (I know you know this :), just pointing out for those not aware of what's possible). https://cyngn.com/cyanogen-os/customization

I've never jailbroken my iOS devices - mostly out of security concerns - but from what I understand the same level of customization can be achieved for iPhones as it can for Android devices.

For this discussion, ironically, in my view iPhones have essentially zero bloat - and I like that. Why not keep both phones and just swap SIMs when you feel like? Or sell the iPhone and use it towards a larger screen iPhone?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
See, us iPhone users actually USE our devices. Yes, some jailbreak to tweak them, but a HUGE majority do not. That's because we USE them. Tweaking them is a complete waste of time.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
See, us iPhone users actually USE our devices. Yes, some jailbreak to tweak them, but a HUGE majority do not. That's because we USE them. Tweaking them is a complete waste of time.

Thanks for pointing this out to me! Now I'm thinking, "My god, why are the employees at Apple tweaking iOS (eg the redesign of iOS 7, new features of iOS 8 etc...) instead of just using their phones?! They are idiots"
/s

Jesus your comment is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for pointing this out to me! Now I'm thinking, "My god, why are the employees at Apple tweaking iOS (eg the redesign of iOS 7, new features of iOS 8 etc...) instead of just using their phones?! They are idiots"
/s

Jesus your comment is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

As is yours. Did you have to get taken to the hospital for hurting yourself tipping over from reaching like that? Moron.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
As is yours. Did you have to get taken to the hospital for hurting yourself tipping over from reaching like that? Moron.

So I'm the moron even though you that think that just because I jailbreak my device and you don't that you are somehow putting it to better use when it's probably the other way?

I can use my jailbroken idevice in ways you couldn't even dream of on your closed walled garden of stock iOS.

And most people don't jail break? Most people actually USE their device? 95% of iphone owners never do more than check Facebook/Twitter, play candy crush, and send text messages so that's a moot point BUB!!!!!!!

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had my stuff jailbroken you snobby ****. Go away.

So I'm the moron even though you that think that just because I jailbreak my device and you don't that you are somehow putting it to better use when it's probably the other way?

Ahh I see you couldn't disagree with my statement above so you are just resorting to the old "go screw your self/name calling" routine.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
No, you're still a snobby *****. I call you a snobby ***** because you assumed that I never knew ways you could use a jailbroken phone. People who ASSUME are snobby pricks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can use my jailbroken idevice in ways you couldn't even dream of on your closed walled garden of stock iOS.

This is extremely sensationalistic...sure, there are some helpful tweaks and customization options, but saying "you couldn't even dream of" is just silly.

At the same time you're moaning and groaning that he's being overly generalizing with his assessment of jailbreaking...you're doing the exact same thing really. Pot...kettle...black...and such.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
HaHa, i love this discussion. Let's keep it going. I have a Nexus 5, and i can do anything that i want with it.:p

P.S. If i wasn't banned from there, i would swear that i was in the crackberry forums.:rotfl:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I personally don't see "customization" as an advantage, because every time someone mentions this, it's changing the UI and icons and ****. Really? You have different icons. Doesn't mean the OS is better. And I notice this ***** STILL hasn't responded to me...

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't see "customization" as an advantage, because every time someone mentions this, it's changing the UI and icons and ****. Really? You have different icons. Doesn't mean the OS is better. And I notice this ***** STILL hasn't responded to me...

Customizing doesn't change the UI of the phone unless you root it. Some people get bored, after five or six months, looking at the same lock screen, home screen, icons, etc. Android does give you more options to change the look, than IOS does. The phone doesn't work any better, but to some people it looks better. Apple tends to be more restrictive in that area, than Android. That being said, there are dangers involved if you don't know how to root or jailbreak, and if you screw up the phone, most carriers won't bail you out, so you'll have to pay to get it fixed, or buy a new phone.:p

Just on a side note...Couldn't you come up with something better than JobSteves? How about CookTim?:rotfl:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Customizing doesn't change the UI of the phone unless you root it. Some people get bored, after five or six months, looking at the same lock screen, home screen, icons, etc. Android does give you more options to change the look, than IOS does (in native form). The phone doesn't work any better, but to some people it looks better. Apple tends to be more restrictive in that area, than Android. That being said, there are dangers involved if you don't know how to root or jailbreak, and if you screw up the phone, most carriers won't bail you out, so you'll have to pay to get it fixed, or buy a new phone.:p

Just on a side note...Couldn't you come up with something better than JobSteves? How about CookTim?:rotfl:

Fixed that for ya.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73