Maybe the 6+ is looked at in the wrong way.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I have read many post from people saying that the 6 plus is too big, not one-handable, not pocketable etc. I believe that maybe its being looked at like its a more of a traditional iPhone which it is not. Maybe Apple should have pushed the envelope a little with the marketing by defining the device as something other than a smartphone and maybe crowned the ugly term of "phablet". I think naming it "iPhone 6 Plus" is somewhat conflictive to how the returning iPhone customer looking to upgrade perceives this device, maybe marketing the 6 plus in a different way may have an impact and set a definitive category of the consumer who would purchase one. Example if Apple drops the number in the iPhone's name instead of calling it "iPhone 6" and simply name it "iPhone" I believe traditional buyers who want a smaller phone/screen would buy this device and if "iPhone 6 Plus" was named something like "iPhone Pro" or even if they went all out and called it "iPad Mini Pro" and marketed it as a pocket-friendly cellular enabled tablet-phone that would set the definition of what this bigger screen device intent may be.

Marketing is not my strong point but I look at it from where I stand as a consumer, when I think of a S5 I think of a feature rich smartphone, when I think of Note4 I think of a "more professional" device designed for being productive. The naming convention allow Samsung to release two flagship devices, but geared toward two different consumers. Now if Apple would have went this route this may open the door for these devices and their designs. "iPhone" could continue to offer a flagship three and a half to four inch screen device while "iPhone Pro" or "iPad Mini Pro" could offer the five and a half to six inch device.

I bring this up because I see people say "hey my 6+ gets in the way while I jog" or "my 6+ is too big for me to ________ one handed" I never see anything like this with a Note device and I think its because the users of the Note line know exactly what it is that they are getting and how it was meant to be used.

So what are your thoughts.

Also I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I have extremely big hands like really big hands, and I workout everyday as well as work in a warehouse so I know the woes but also understand what the devices purpose may and may not be.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Sooner or later number has to go... Just call it 2016 Iphone or something... And come on common sense would know that the "plus" means its a bigger phone..

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Sooner or later number has to go... Just call it 2016 Iphone or something... And come on common sense would know that the "plus" means its a bigger phone..

Common sense to some maybe not to others, I see the word "plus" as more personally, but some will see it as bigger so hey maybe if they came out with a smaller iPhone 6 it would have been the "iPhone 6 Petite".

But my thoughts are what people are using this "Bigger iPhone" for, like I really have yet to see someone jogging down the street with a Note4 in their hands lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Define "many posts"...I'd say about 90% of the owners here on iMore have praised pretty much all aspects of the device, and haven't really complained at all about the size.

You don't see complaints like that with the Note 4 because people that buy the Note 4 are a much smaller market who understand, going into it, the limitations of a large screened "phablet" (as they've been historically called). That and most android based websites have a much lower tolerance of redundant complaints than iMore...people posting about how the Note gets in the way of working out would probably be met with nothing more than "No sh*t." replies.

As far as Apple's nomenclature choices, I think they've done just fine...I base that opinion on their industry leading sales, which is a pretty clear and concise unit of measurement if I'm honest. They didn't need 6 different iPhones...as having these vastly varying sizes across the spectrum would start causing fragmentation issues (specifically in terms of app development for vastly differing screen sizes)...and then there's the continued demand for better internals and longer battery life...at some point, the smaller chassis phones just flat out run out of room.

All that said, I don't think the amount of people who are unhappy with the 6 Plus amounts to much (in terms of numbers), and in that, I think most people look at the phone in the proper way Apple intended people to.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Define "many posts"...I'd say about 90% of the owners here on iMore have praised pretty much all aspects of the device, and haven't really complained at all about the size.

You don't see complaints like that with the Note 4 because people that buy the Note 4 are a much smaller market who understand, going into it, the limitations of a large screened "phablet" (as they've been historically called). That and most android based websites have a much lower tolerance of redundant complaints than iMore...people posting about how the Note gets in the way of working out would probably be met with nothing more than "No sh*t." replies.

As far as Apple's nomenclature choices, I think they've done just fine...I base that opinion on their industry leading sales, which is a pretty clear and concise unit of measurement if I'm honest. They didn't need 6 different iPhones...as having these vastly varying sizes across the spectrum would start causing fragmentation issues (specifically in terms of app development for vastly differing screen sizes)...and then there's the continued demand for better internals and longer battery life...at some point, the smaller chassis phones just flat out run out of room.

All that said, I don't think the amount of people who are unhappy with the 6 Plus amounts to much (in terms of numbers), and in that, I think most people look at the phone in the proper way Apple intended people to.

You're right its a small percentage, and most will look at the phone as intended, but I think that this is where Apple could have actually "defined" the term "phablet" like what they did with the term "smartphone" since there is no one who officially uses that moniker to describe their device.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I always thought that they should name the iPhone differently. I never like the numbers. Maybe iPhone Mini, iPhone Air, and iPhone Pro. And name the iPads the same.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't care so much about the name. I tried to make the Plus work. It didn't for me. It LOOKS great. The screen is killer. I just couldn't use the damn thing in landscape comfortably. Nor in portrait really. And for what I do with an iphone, it didn't really improve the experience. If anything, it made it worse. So I decided to go back home with the 5S vs trying to make something work for me. For those who love the Plus, that's awesome. That's why they make more than one device.

A bigger screen doesn't make it more PRO.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't care so much about the name. I tried to make the Plus work. It didn't for me. It LOOKS great. The screen is killer. I just couldn't use the damn thing in landscape comfortably. Nor in portrait really. And for what I do with an iphone, it didn't really improve the experience. If anything, it made it worse. So I decided to go back home with the 5S vs trying to make something work for me. For those who love the Plus, that's awesome. That's why they make more than one device.

A bigger screen doesn't make it more PRO.

No, the bigger screen doesn't make it more pro, I just think that this should be in a class of its own instead of being marketed as a bigger iPhone.

Like for instance, can I do everything with the S5 that I can with a Note 4? Yes for the most part but there are enhancements on the Note 4 that take advantage of its bigger screen and its marketed around those enhancements and not placed in the same category as a S5 or Galaxy Alpha. Same with the iPhone can a 6 do what a 6 plus can, yes but there are some (although small) enhancements to the 6 plus that does take advantage of its landscape orientation that could/should put it in a different class of device.

There is still a market of people who want a smaller device for their uses thus a 3-1/2 or 4 inch smartphone and those who want a 5-1/2 or 6 inch phablet in my opinion naming them different describes what type of device your buying and defines more of how it would be used.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But your missing Apples intention...they WANT it to be viewed as the "bigger iPhone" because it is still the iPhone through and through, and Apple's historic stance against the "phablet" kind of defines the idea that they wouldn't want that kind of label on their product.

I mean I respect your opinion here, you feel these things are a better business plan for Apple...but in reality, the amount of people who want those smaller screen iPhones is shrinking exponentially month after month, and to be honest, the use of the device really doesn't change in my opinion...I use my 6 Plus exactly the same as I used every other iteration of iPhone, I just have more options to do stuff now, which I expect with yearly development.

If you notice across Apple's product spectrum, they don't really do a lot of variations in any category...nor do they want a major "difference" factor in the line up to avoid people feeling like they're getting "bottom barrel" devices...they strive to make people feel that the lower options are just different...but not defined by such.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple is going to shift production towards phone models that are in demand. Unfortunately, demand for smaller devices is declining. The next iPhone cycle will likely end production of anything the size of the iPhone 5s. It's not a great seller, and Apple is going to focus its development dollars on what is going to generate the most revenue for them.

I can see Apple's focus shifting towards wearable technology, as well as battery technology. Microsoft is going to be lighting a fire for them, with their recent announcements.

Apple's main issue is that they have become quite stagnant. The Apple Watch looks more and more like a "me too" device. They are proving time and again that they are really good at iterative development. They need to come up with something revolutionary soon, and in an area that Microsoft and the Android OEMs have not. That leaves VR, battery development, etc.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apple is going to shift production towards phone models that are in demand. ...demand for smaller devices is declining...

This is what happened when phone manufacturers started to go bigger with Android devices. Hardly anyone in that community clamors for smaller screen devices to be had again. They pushed the envelope just like Apple did with their own customer base with the introduction of the 6 Plus. I'm not saying everyone is going to want a phablet, but the little push to harp back to smaller devices that is happening now with a certain segment of iPhone users will dwindle and dwindle. The sizes we have now will more and more become the norm.

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
They(apple) gave its user base a choice. Choice is good. A bigger screen(phone) or the more traditional sized device. I don't get why people complain about it so much after they get it. Didn't they know the size before they plunked down so much cash? When I decided on getting a new device I tried both sizes in store then left with none. Measured the bigger one and tried out that size in my various pocket and usage scenarios. I knew exactly how the size would fit in with my lifestyle. So many people get it and return it. Seems poor planning to me.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Apple has things in the works to take advantage of the Plus model that may or may not come with a S Plus.
The 6 Plus is just a taste of what's to come. Now that Apple has a hit with the Plus they will further develop it and take advantage of the screen.
I don't believe they need to follow any naming schemes like other device makers.
Apple does things on their own timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mayawalz

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
yes yes yes. that is a very sensible assessment. why you wanna jog with a mini ipad attached to your arm? people dont get that this is a mini computer

tongrhj

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't see what the advantage of the iPhone 6 Plus is over the normal iPhone / iPad Mini. Yes there's a bigger screen, but there's not much usability again, and a lot lost. I was hoping Apple would do more with the interface to differentiate the device. Here's hoping they make the tablet category useful again, because the phablet remains very niche.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
But it is just a larger iPhone 6 so I can see why apple markets it how they do. There will always be people who complain, and apple didn't really do much to take advantage of the larger screen other than the iPad like landscape view.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You're right its a small percentage, and most will look at the phone as intended, but I think that this is where Apple could have actually "defined" the term "phablet" like what they did with the term "smartphone" since there is no one who officially uses that moniker to describe their device.

So your plan is to invest millions into satisfying the minority with a name that wouldn't pacify them in the first place? Do you also think it's wise to spend millions researching a way to make a door into a window instead of just choosing to sell a window to people who want windows and a door to those that want doors?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple is going to shift production towards phone models that are in demand. Unfortunately, demand for smaller devices is declining. The next iPhone cycle will likely end production of anything the size of the iPhone 5s. It's not a great seller, and Apple is going to focus its development dollars on what is going to generate the most revenue for them.

I can see Apple's focus shifting towards wearable technology, as well as battery technology. Microsoft is going to be lighting a fire for them, with their recent announcements.

Those recent announcements are no more than hype machine tools...they aren't even CLOSE to an actual hologlass product for consumers...they aren't even close to a product that even remotely resembles what their recent videos show. It'd be like Apple releasing a video that shows an iPhone building 3D printed products all over the house while also projecting Siri as an actual usable entity in your home...it's future tech, but it's not close to reality at all.

Apple's main issue is that they have become quite stagnant. The Apple Watch looks more and more like a "me too" device. They are proving time and again that they are really good at iterative development. They need to come up with something revolutionary soon, and in an area that Microsoft and the Android OEMs have not. That leaves VR, battery development, etc.

You said Apple's "main issue"...I see this a lot from people trying to make sensational points in these threads. The truth is, Apple doesn't really have an "issue" AT ALL...they are industry leading in all of the categories that count when you think of successful hardware and a successful hardware manufacturer. I mean what have any of the other manufacturers introduced to the market that removes them from this "issue" you claim Apple has? Stagnancy implies that Apple is not moving forward, but year by year they offer products that have done nothing BUT move forward, especially in terms of what consumers demand. I'd say, just from a broad observation, they're flowing very quickly with the market, while also increasing their ecosystem efficiency and usefulness...something NOBODY else is doing.

People tend to forget that Apple does two things very well...

1.) They take technology that other people can't seem to get off the ground and turn it into tools people use every day.

2.) Take features found on pretty much every kind of product you can buy in the market they compete in, and they hold back from releasing the feature on their devices until there is good polish on them and people ACTUALLY use it regularly.

...and so far, it's worked exponentially for them.

I mean why does Apple need to come up with technology that other people haven't touched yet if Apple can take said technology and make it common place and legitimate usable for the consumer? And by doing this, how is Apple "behind" the curve? I mean if you have an idea or even a tangible object that is supposed to serve a purpose (but doesn't really in a legitimate way), and then a company comes a long and makes said object attractive, usable and makes it something consumers feel they can't live without...how are you not revolutionizing it? Smart phones existed before the iPhone, but the iPhone came in and changed the game...which is the DEFINITION of revolutionary.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR