Do you despise data limitations? Have Comcast? Prepare yourself! Comcast Data Tiers are here!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you want to pay extra for data? Then Comcast has a deal for you | Ars Technica

Some of you may have already known...I, unfortunately, had no idea it was actually being implemented, and BAM...I get an email telling me that I was in a market that is "testing" tiered data plans for Comcast Xfinity users!

Essentially you get 300GB per month. Anything over that is charged on a 50GB additional allowance at $10/per. After checking my usage last month I was sitting right at around 500GB, so that means my already ridiculous Comcast bill would have been $40 MORE!

I'm so excited about this. Just when you thought Comcast couldn't figure out a way to **** off their customers more, they go and really REALLY find a good way to.

I cannot wait until Google Fiber gets to Atlanta late next year. I'll be jumping ship faster than Comcast can say "Wait! We can give you a one time credit for overages!"

:crying:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Comcast is the worst internet service I've ever had. And I've been using online services since the early 80s with an external 300 baud modem to dial into local bulletin boards. Comcast is the worst. Charter isn't much better. I constantly wait on pages. The best BEST ISP I've ever had was Verizon FiOS. You talk about FAST. I only had the 30 meg package, just like here with Charter with the 30 meg package, Verizon FiOS was so fast it was unreal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Comcast is the worst internet service I've ever had. And I've been using online services since the early 80s with an external 300 baud modem to dial into local bulletin boards. Comcast is the worst. Charter isn't much better. I constantly wait on pages. The best BEST ISP I've ever had was Verizon FiOS. You talk about FAST. I only had the 30 meg package, just like here with Charter with the 30 meg package, Verizon FiOS was so fast it was unreal.

In Atlanta, Comcast is by far the fastest (our speeds fluctuate between 35-45mbps)...FiOS is in the 20's and AT&T DSL is lucky to get over 12-15. I wish there was a comparable service in our area...id leave in a heartbeat.

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon also and it's great. Have you looked into satellite for your internet service? We have DirecTV for TV and it's great. I don't know about the speed of their internet service tho.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We live in a condo in a high rise building so unfortunately we're kind of stuck with Comcast for cable...our only options for internet are FIOS, AT&T DSL and Comcast.

Really REALLY hoping for Google fiber soon.

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you despise data limitations? Have Comcast? Prepare yourself! Comcast Da...

Up here in Canada, Rogers is crazy fast, I'm on the unlimited data usage plan on the on the 2nd tier router, out of 4 or 5 routers, and I get anywhere from 25-30 on a low day and 30-40 in the summer.
On a side note Google Fibre should be available in my area soon. :D

Tappin and talkin from my iPhone 4

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here in Canada most ISPs have usage caps, but I have a 8/1 Mbps connection with unlimited usage for $40/month with cable cable (local provider), and I get consistent speeds of 7.85 Mbps down and 0.98 Mbps up 24/7/365 and my speed is never throttled no madder how much data I use. In my area the highest I can get is up to 15/10 with bell or 15/1 with cable cable.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately because of our kinds of usage at home, 8/1 wouldn't suffice...15/1 would really not suffice either (DL speeds would be tolerable, but upload speeds would be horrible for some of the projects my wife has to upload regularly, which can surpass 10GB at a time).

I actually contacted Comcast about this, explaining to them that I would be leaving their service for another company if this data cap was not extended, or a larger one was not offered at a fair pricing point...the woman I spoke to said that last year, they were testing 250GB and found it to be too small, so it was lifted and replaced by 300GB...she said that from what she's heard, this is probably going to be lifted as well, and moved to 500GB, which would work perfectly for us, but would still be a limiting factor that does not please me as a consumer...what if I used 1TB per month? Do they truly expect me to pay over $100/month for the service Comcast provides? Surely not.

At any rate, we also looked into getting a business class internet connection with unlimited data. The pricing was right at $100/month, but I don't think we'll need it if they do in fact move the data cap to 500GB (since our highest month was right over that, and I'm ok with a slight overage risk).

This is all greed though, and it's very frustrating.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately because of our kinds of usage at home, 8/1 wouldn't suffice...15/1 would really not suffice either (DL speeds would be tolerable, but upload speeds would be horrible for some of the projects my wife has to upload regularly, which can surpass 10GB at a time).

I actually contacted Comcast about this, explaining to them that I would be leaving their service for another company if this data cap was not extended, or a larger one was not offered at a fair pricing point...the woman I spoke to said that last year, they were testing 250GB and found it to be too small, so it was lifted and replaced by 300GB...she said that from what she's heard, this is probably going to be lifted as well, and moved to 500GB, which would work perfectly for us, but would still be a limiting factor that does not please me as a consumer...what if I used 1TB per month? Do they truly expect me to pay over $100/month for the service Comcast provides? Surely not.

At any rate, we also looked into getting a business class internet connection with unlimited data. The pricing was right at $100/month, but I don't think we'll need it if they do in fact move the data cap to 500GB (since our highest month was right over that, and I'm ok with a slight overage risk).

This is all greed though, and it's very frustrating.

Oh you should see bell's usage caps:

http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

You can add unlimited usage for $30/month or $10/month if you have 3 other services from bell including TV.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
LOL! 100GB/month? Have they never heard of streaming...well...ANYTHING?

They have... They just don't want people cancelling their TV service, but most apps that allow you to catch up on a show in Canada are starting to require you to signin with your tv provider so it can check if you subscribe to that channel with your provider so you can watch those shows online.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox