Cyclists what are your thoughts on the invisible helmet

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I was reading on Yahoo and came across this post which I thought was pretty interesting Swedes develop invisible bike helmet - Yahoo Autos

I thought it was really cool but my thoughts to things that will hamper it is cost and whether it can only be used once? It's basically an airbag for your head and in cars airbags can only be deployed once and then a new airbag has to be fitted to the vehicle. So for over $500 if you can only use it once that is going to be a big problem on the market. In a car the cost of the airbags are rolled into the cost of the vehicle overall plus with the millions of cars produced each day the cost of the airbags are probably substantially less. So I think if they can somehow get the cost of this subsidized by either the helmet makers or the bicycle makers it will do a lot better. That will be an uphill battle though I think because the helmets of today are so inexpensive to make compared to this why would any manufacturer stop making it in favor of this. I like it though and good on them for coming up with the idea I really hope it does take hold somehow.

Timelessblur

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I was reading on Yahoo and came across this post which I thought was pretty interesting Swedes develop invisible bike helmet - Yahoo Autos

I thought it was really cool but my thoughts to things that will hamper it is cost and whether it can only be used once? It's basically an airbag for your head and in cars airbags can only be deployed once and then a new airbag has to be fitted to the vehicle. So for over $500 if you can only use it once that is going to be a big problem on the market. In a car the cost of the airbags are rolled into the cost of the vehicle overall plus with the millions of cars produced each day the cost of the airbags are probably substantially less. So I think if they can somehow get the cost of this subsidized by either the helmet makers or the bicycle makers it will do a lot better. That will be an uphill battle though I think because the helmets of today are so inexpensive to make compared to this why would any manufacturer stop making it in favor of this. I like it though and good on them for coming up with the idea I really hope it does take hold somehow.
I am not a big fan of it. It is interesting at best but it just puts a hot colar around your neck. It just looks cool.

I will like to point out all bike helmets are only good for 1 crash. After the crash you need to throw it away and get a new one.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
That's really cool IMO. Maybe they can some how package it with a bike. I'm sure they can bring the costs down too at scale.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Having been hit by a car and knocked nearly across the road, crank arms bent, and metal toe clips sheared off along with my head hitting the pavement hard - I'm sure glad I was wearing a helmet.

So, I'm all for advances in technology and design that can help make riding safer. That said, I do agree with Timelessblur about the potential heat problem. In my area that's a real challenge 3/4 of the year. So, unless cooling is addressed or mitigated I'm staying with the traditional helmet.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I am not a big fan of it. It is interesting at best but it just puts a hot colar around your neck. It just looks cool.

I will like to point out all bike helmets are only good for 1 crash. After the crash you need to throw it away and get a new one.
Ricky as you know how big an avid cyclist i am and I read the article months ago in Bicycle magazine and I wear the most expensive helmet or at least one of them that pushes around the $300.00 range and have a number of them. I would not ride without and included both of you because Timeless ids right. One downed fall and you throw the helmet away. I cannot see this working the way they want to do this. I thing the manufactures of not just helmets and the cycle companies that have their carbon fiber bikes sell for up to $20.000.00 and everything in between can come up with a group that would come together to find a different way to do this.

I just can't buy into it. I would rather use what is good enough for Tour De France riders to wear than something they are proposing here in this article. A good mention though and thank you.