Try This At Home

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guess I'm just hungry today... Here's another one. So far as I know, my father invented the thing.

Spaghetti Pizza.

Boil 1 lb. of spaghetti noodles. Use the shortest cooking time. The noodles will get baked after and you don't want mush. Rinse the noodles in cold water immediately after draining. A fast, but thorough cool is important for the next step.

Put the noodles in a large baking pan. In a bowl, beat two large eggs. Pour the eggs over the noodles and mix well. You really need to get your hands in there to get a nice coating on the noodles. The noodles need to be cool so they don't cook the egg when it's added. Spread the noodle/egg mix evenly in the bottom of the pan.

Top the noodle base with marinara sauce. Cover with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella. Add whatever pizza toppings you like. (I prefer the classic pepperoni, mushroom and black olives.)

Bake in a preheated 350* oven on the center rack for 35-40 minutes. Watch for the cheese to start browning, that's when it's done. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. The egg and noodle will have baked into a crust.

Cut in large squares and fight over the corner pieces. :p

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My Stew Recipe, linked to my blog with more photos.
heartybeefstewrecipe_low.jpg

Ingredients:::

-2.5-3 lbs of high quality stew meat or well trimmed steak, cut down into small bite sized pieces and well-trimmed of any weird tendons or fat

-4 15oz cans of Beef Broth (I usually use Sweet Sue brand)--if you prefer it less soupy, use only 3 cans

-1lb carrots, cleaned, peeled, sliced (I buy full-sized "normal" carrots and cut them down)

-3 medium sized yukon gold potatoes, cleaned, peeled and chopped into small bite sized pieces (they cook better this way, and go farther)

-3 large yellow onions, cleaned, peeled, cut into quarters and sliced thinly.

-1 tbsp chopped garlic in oil (jarred)

-1 tbsp garlic powder (separated in half)

-1 tsp black pepper (separated into 1/2 tsp each)

-1 tsp salt (separated into 1/2 tsp each)

-1/2 tsp tarragon (separated in half)

-1/4 tsp thyme

-flour (varied amount, up to about 1/2 cup as needed to thicken broth)

Cooking Instructions:::

Brown beef with onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent, and beef is mostly cooked.
heartybeefstewrecipe4low.jpg

While beef is cooking, pour one can of the broth into the crockpot crock. Add thyme (all), and half of each of the other seasonings and stir to mix. Then "line" the bottom of crock pot with carrots and potatoes (usually I put the potatoes on the bottom so they cook better, this time I did the carrots first).

heartybeefstewrecipe3low.jpg
heartybeefstewrecipe6low.jpg

When the meat mix is done, put it right on top of the carrots and potatoes.
heartybeefstewrecipe7low.jpg

If you will be turning the crock pot on right away, add the other three cans of broth. If you will be doing so in the morning, just put the lid on and put the whole thing in the fridge and put the rest of the broth in the container in the morning.

heartybeefstewrecipe10low.jpg

Cook in crock pot on low all day (for me this is about 10 hours.) When you get home, turn it to high and using a smooth glass measuring cup, scoop out about 1/2-1 cup of the liquid.

heartybeefstewrecipe11low.jpg
heartybeefstewrecipe12low.jpg

Add flour to the cup and whisk into a thickened rue (not a paste), and pour into the crock pot. Stir. Add remaining half of seasonings that you set aside earlier and "doctor" to taste. Stir well to mix. Repeat after 15 minutes if liquid has not thickened to your taste.

Let cook on high for another 30, until thickened enough for your tastes.

Serve with hot biscuits and butter.
heartybeefstewrecipe_low.jpg

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Since Thanksgiving is upon us and no midwestern family holiday gathering is complete without Green Bean Casserole...here's my recipe. Goes on my blog tomorrow, you get a sneak peak.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe supercloseup.jpg

Ame's Green Bean Casserole:::

•7 cans of Green Giant (or whatever brand) French Style Green Beans, drained
•2 cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
•1 can of Campbells Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
•1/2 soup can of Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk**
•2 tbsp of Worchestershire sauce (or 1tbsp soy sauce)
•3/4 to 1 tbsp of black pepper (I adjust as I go, starting with 1/2 and then usually add more, sometimes even use 1 1/2 tbsp by the time I am done--I like the peppery taste but it's not really spicy and you're making a LOT of casserole, start slow, and build up, taste as you go.)
•15 twists of a mixed peppercorn grinder to get more than just black pepper (McCormick usually)
•2 big containers of the French's onions (not costco size, but grocery store size), set one can aside for use as a topping.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe ingredinbowl.jpg
Preheat oven to 350?F. In a giant mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except one of the containers of onions together until well mixed.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe halfcanmilk.jpg

I usually put one can of soup in first, a few cans of the green beans, another can of soup, then the rest of the green beans and then the last can of soup. Layering it in like that helps it all mix easier.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe addseasonings.jpg

Then I mix in the rest of the ingredients (except that one container of onions you set aside) after I've mostly mixed it. Sometimes I'll put half of the pepper in the middle as well, just for ease of mixing.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe addonions.jpg

After all ingredients are mixed well, pour into a 9x13 pyrex dish (it will be FULL) and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, keeping an eye on it to not burn on the edges.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe pourindish.jpg

I stir a little over halfway through, in part to taste, to make sure it doesn't need more pepper, and spin the casserole dish around 180 degrees for even baking.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe toppedwithonions.jpg

Then at the 40 minute mark, I pull the rack out a little, stir well and add the other can of onions evenly to the top and bake for 5 more minutes.

accordingtoame green bean casserole recipe finishedonstove.jpg

After 5 minutes, pull the casserole out of the oven and turn the oven off. Let the cooked dish sit on top of the stove (or on a trivet somewhere) for about 5 minutes to "set up" and cool a bit, and then serve as a side dish.

Now--you have to know your audience, as in, don't make it with almond milk if you know there's a nut allergy. So, since I know there's one on my dad's side, I specifically avoid it when I make it for an event with my dad's side, and just use skim milk. It doesn't make a huge flavor difference but using the Almond Milk makes it a little creamier and richer. I have also swapped the Healthy Request and Original soups to go 2 Healthy and 1 Regular a few times in the past, the flavor again slightly changes, but it helps the calorie and fat counts a bit. I am not sure anyone else has even noticed since I have never had leftovers.

Also--should you wish to reproduce this on your own blog, please contact me first so I know you're using it.

**I buy the Vanilla Unsweetened and then add two packets of Splenda to the little carton and shake it violently to mix. That helps sweeten it a little, but not as much as the regular sweetened variety. That's not a necessary step by any means, but that's how I drink it and use it on cereal, so it's just how it already is when I make this recipe. As for the amount--there's a reason I use so "little". The green beans don't ever fully drain, and are a watery veggie anyway, so when they bake off, the liquid will blend with the soup and milk, and if you use too much more liquid, it can boil over and or be super liquidy.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I shared my Chicken Noodle Soup recipe on my blog today. More photos there.

accordingtoame chickennoodlesouprecipe glamour2.jpg

It is incredibly filling, usually just one bowl with maybe a biscuit or some roasted garlic baguette (costco bakery!) is a hearty meal that isn't too harsh on the waistline. It also tops any store-bought soup out there. That's a full on brag right there.

Please bear in mind that this recipe makes a LOT of soup, so before you start, make sure you have enough containers to contain it and enough space in your fridge and freezer for storage, or a plan for who you're inviting over to serve it to. Also, plan on making an evening or afternoon of it, because if it rolls a little longer, the flavors get better. Magnifiqu?!

Ingredients*:::

-1 Large Can Chicken Broth (~30oz?--I usually purchase "Sweet Sue" brand)

-1 regular sized can Chicken Broth (~15 oz)

-3 32 oz containers of Chicken Stock (I use Kirkland Organic, from Costco)

-3/4 cup of chicken soup base -- start with about 1/4 cup and work up to taste (I like L.B. Jamisons)

-2 cups water -- start with one, add second ONLY if needed

-1 whole rotisserie chicken, (fresh and hot works best) all meat removed and skin removed, shredded up and cut up. Pitch the carcass and skin in the garbage. (For those who aren't interested in dismantling the chicken--Costco sells a package of rotisserie chicken breast already taken apart, just the meat, in a shrinkwrapped package in their premade food area. I used it this time around and found it significantly easier.)

-2 celery hearts, chopped (I cut the bottom of the stalk thing off, and the leaves off, use most of the stalks)

-1 whole large yellow onion

-1 whole small yellow onion

-2 lbs carrots, peeled and cleaned then sliced into smaller coin style slices

-1 large bag No Yolks Egg noodles, dumpling size (I think its 15oz, if you prefer more noodles use up to 1/2 bag more)

-2 tbsp butter

-1 tsp pepper -- I warn you to not go too crazy on the pepper as it will intensify with cooking and over time while it's frozen. I've actually had one batch that I made when we were ill that I overdid the pepper because I couldn't "taste" it, and I ended up tossing it all out, because even without the broth in that batch, it was just firey!

-1/2 tsp salt

-1 1/2 tsp celery salt

-1 tsp paprika

-1 tsp tarragon

-1 tbsp garlic powder

-1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic, plus an additional 1/2 tbsp of just the oil from the jar (I believe the brand is Spice World and it's usually in the produce section. I use this because it has the oil in it already and it works the best for this recipe vs fresh peeled and chopped.)

Directions:::

Put minced garlic and garlic oil in stock pot. Add butter.

Cut head and tail off each onion. Then cut each in quarters then cut into slices. Peel out inside core.

Toss onions into stock pot (at LEAST 8qt, bigger the better, I usually make mine in a 16qt and will often add more veggie and broth to account for the size*), with butter and minced garlic. Saut? until onions are clearish and are soft and caramelized.**

Meanwhile, chop carrots and celery--works well if you have a large Cuisinart and slicing blade--don't use baby carrots, they don't slice as well in a Cuisinart and take forever by hand! (I just learned how poorly they slice in the Cuisinart making this batch...)

Pour in carrots, celery and broth, stir in half of soup base, and half of water.

Add most of seasonings (I often put in half of each seasoning to start and add as I taste). Stir well. Add in stock, and stir again. Add in chicken.

Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for at least another 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, to soften veggies and marry flavors, testing after 30 minutes for seasonings. Add remaining soup base and water, or in place of water, additional stock. Tinker with adding soup base, seasonings and water to taste.

I have had batches where I use less, some where I use more, not exact science.

When veggies are soft to the chew and you're happy with the broth, add entire bag of Egg Noodles (and if you like a lot of noodle, up to half a bag more) and stir occasionally. When noodles are soft, soup is ready to serve (around 30ish minutes or so for noodles to soften fully and start absorbing flavors.)

Serve with fresh hot biscuits, rolls or roasted garlic french bread from Costco. Believe me, that last one is amazing.

*Like most of my recipes, there's a fair amount of doctoring that goes into this. I keep a small ramekin sized Pyrex and a tasting spoon near me and make frequent taste tests throughout the cooking to make sure no seasonings are requiring tweaking. I use a 16Q stock pot, but it can be made in a crock pot or smaller stock pot. Prior to getting this 16Q, I used an 8Q I believe, and really all I did was package some of it up, then add the rest of the liquid to the pot and boil it once more and then I was good. I have only tried this in the crock pot a few times, as I find it works better in the stock pot due to easier tinkering and better overall cooking.

**I do recommend that you caramelize/saut? the onions in the garlic and butter before you add anything to the pot. Not only does it make them softer and easier to eat later, it also makes the whole batch richer and more flavorful overall, without that oniony flavor.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just finished inventing it...

Curry Mac:

* In an 11" skillet on medium high heat, brown 1 lb of 97% lean hamburger adding minced garlic, onion powder and sweet paprika to taste.

* Once browned; add 1 can of tomato bisque condensed soup, mix well. Add green curry powder to taste. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally.

* In a 3 qt saucepan; prepare one box of macaroni and cheese per instructions.

* Just before the noodles are cooked for the mac 'n' cheese; break apart 3 thick slices of Swiss cheese and lay the pieces on top of the hamburger mixture. When the cheese begins to soften, blend it into the hamburger mix.

* Finish the mac 'n' cheese, blending the sauce over a medium low heat. Once blended, fold in the hamburger mix.

*** Enjoy your savory, cheesy Curry Mac. :D ***

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox