Recently sold thread

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't let BLiNK have all the fun and us poor people usually sell more stuff than we buy :( lol My latest sale was my Red Jambox it was 3 months old loved the little sucker but I got an even better BT speaker dock so couldn't see the point in keeping all three.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Recently sold my 2003 GTI 1.8T...i smiled as it was being forcefully pulled up on the flat bed for the new owner, and will never buy a VW again.

again I ask is there a dis-like button? How could you sell a GTI???? How?? lol jk but for real I love those cars.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The ex sold his MasterCraft ski boat the other day. He can't ski because of a bum knee and I have an extreme fear of boats and water I can't see the bottom of.

I sold my broken down washing machine for $25 today. Dude is supposed to come get it this weekend. He better because it'll be on the curb come Sunday and the trash truck makes the rounds on Monday.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
again I ask is there a dis-like button? How could you sell a GTI???? How?? lol jk but for real I love those cars.

Here's a list of things it needed when i finally stopped driving it (with 115k on the odometer)...

- Transmission rebuild (because of faulty gear syncros that VW knew about shortly after release of the MKIV gen, but never issued a recall as they could legally attribute it to being induced by "driving behavior", essentially rendering the consumer powerless to prove the parts would go bad anyways, which they did in a staggering amount of the models). The funny thing to is, only about a year after the MKIV was introduced, VW decided to put a 6speed in the GTI model (the 20th AE edition and the lesser known 337 edition)...this one had no syncro issue, but is almost impossible to find in the 2nd hand market. Thanks VW!

- Waterpump...and this would be the 2nd one installed, because VW decided to use plastic impeller fans on them (genius!) which deteriorate so quickly that the average life span of the OE one and standard replacement one was about 45k miles...Audi used the same 1.8T motor in many of their cars, but used a metal impeller fan water pump to prevent this issue...average life on those? 150k.

- Timing belt...average life span of timing belt? 80k. Show me another car with that kind of life span on the timing belt, lol! They should have used a chain like their Japanese competitors moved to on the higher horsepower motors, but no, they stuck with the belt, and the cost of replacing the timing belt on the 1.8T? About $1,000...and add to that the water pump replacement in there because it usually needs to be replaced when the timing belt is ready to go anyways. Forget to change the timing belt and let it run over that said mileage? You might get lucky, or you might end up with a completely destroyed engine...cost to rebuild, on average, about $3,000. I can buy 4 of my Preludes motors for that and replace the timing belt on it for the same amount, lol.

...i wont even get into the emissions controllers and the various rubber hoses and plastic connectors directly controlling the coolant flow of the car, lol! Just before i sold it, i spent $250 on a hose set called a "coolant flange", and had to spend another $100 on getting it installed because it required a special tool (VW wanted $65 for this tool alone) to remove the flange from the side of the motor...where it is mounted, and routinely sees extremely high temperatures...and is made out of cheap plastic.

Sorry for the long winded vent...but dear god you'd think VW made cars for mechanics ONLY. This was my second (and last) Volkswagen, good luck to you if you own one or plan to, i bought a little daily driver Honda Prelude (1997 model) that is just as fast as the GTI, and i can replace the entire engine on it for the cost of the clutch replacement on the GTI, lol!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The ex sold his MasterCraft ski boat the other day. He can't ski because of a bum knee and I have an extreme fear of boats and water I can't see the bottom of.

I sold my broken down washing machine for $25 today. Dude is supposed to come get it this weekend. He better because it'll be on the curb come Sunday and the trash truck makes the rounds on Monday.

You and my wife share the same fear, lol...we owned a boat years ago and while she loved to go out on the boat and cruise around, she'd be damned before she'd get into the lake or the river, and if you asked her to go ski or get in the tube behind the boat she wouldn't even answer, she'd just laugh in your face and continue sipping her beer.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You and my wife share the same fear, lol...we owned a boat years ago and while she loved to go out on the boat and cruise around, she'd be damned before she'd get into the lake or the river, and if you asked her to go ski or get in the tube behind the boat she wouldn't even answer, she'd just laugh in your face and continue sipping her beer.

Sister and her hubs have a family member on his his side that has a lake cabin. They go all the time with their kids during the summer and boat and ski and tube on the lake. The kids want Aunt Ginger to come with them. Ha. No. Not me. Some fish or snake or something brushes my leg while I'm in the water and I'm channeling my inner Jesus to run on water to get the heck out of there. Give me a chlorinated swimming pool any day of the week.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I currently still drive my 2004 VW Passat 1.8T, bought it with 120k on it and currently at 196k with the engine light randomly coming on every other month. $100 later and its gone, but it is better than a $300 car payment every month. So far, so good.