The iMore 20K / 50K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: The iMore 20K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

Morning all. It's Friday and you know what that means......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382093650.996738.jpg

Sqautzilla in da house!!!

Enjoy some Friday coffee too...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382093686.366315.jpg

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Just the mention of a furnace and you all know I love Ontario but I ;):beer:will not be looking to live there permanent anytime soon. Just a casual visitor and soak up our hot beach whether....:beer: Ty Ricky...LOL!!!

LOL Jag believe me I don't even want to live here in the winters. We should have an iMore house commune. So each month we'll all live together in Kumbaya harmony at someone's house :laughing:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I actually like Win8 (and 8.1 so far). I'm using a traditional desktop/laptop now. However, I'll be getting a convertible tablet soon (probably Lenovo Yoga).

I have been a Windows user now for close to if not over 15 years. I've used 95, 98, Millenium, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and now 8. I have used NT and Server OSes on a daily basis at work. So I'm not some Mac OS user spouting off about Windows. Some of the changes in Windows 8 is just stupid plain and simple. At the company I work for it is a 95% Windows environment. So I'm talking from both a consumer standpoint and a business user standpoint. Microsoft has spent more than a decade training people to use their OS. An OS to me is supposed to make a user's computing life easier, better and more effecient. So when you do stupid things like seperating the Shutdown and Log off to two different screens it makes no sense. You get rid of the Start button which is like iOS' home button. It's what users know, it's the first place they look for everything. You have a Full Screen Internet Explorer and a Windowed (Desktop Mode) Internet Explorer which is confusing. You give the ability to dock apps (weather, twitter, etc.) to the side of the screen except you don't give the ability to scale it down so the user can have both the information and a usable portion of the screen. I have spent the time since we have been getting Windows 8 machines explaining the same thing over and over and over to people who have used Windows for the last more than 15 years. Microsoft to me have turned their backs on the users that already exist in exchange for the users who will become the users of tomorrow. They have used the same OS for the touch devices as are on the desktop in the hopes that the same way iOS will draw people to Mac OS this will draw people to the desktop. I'm not saying Windows 8 is all bad I'm just saying the things that are bad are stupid changes that make no sense. Thank god I have easily found a way to put back a simulation of the start button of sorts without using some stupid third party crapware which is about 80% of the reason people push back from Windows 8.

My issue is why not take time to make the OS better. Things like having a utility that backs up the registry daily or weekly so that when a machine gets a virus a part of the process would be to restore a clean working registry from a day or two before it hit. Why not make it possible for the hardware and the OS to become independent? I want to take a hard drive that is already loaded out of one computer with failing hardware put it into another computer and just boot up and get to work. Alternately I want to take a failing hard drive out of a computer put in a new one and just get to work. Windows backup goes part of the way towards making the second scenario possible but it is so limited. Try to backup a 512GB drive and then restore it to a 256GB drive lol good luck. These are things that users don't see but if they were changed would make a HUGE improvement. There are a ton of other things that come up from day to day that are common complaints by people that haven't changed from version to version. So this is why I have a problem with the changes in Windows 8. It's not like I can't get used to using it but I shouldn't have to get used to it or make some band aid solution to get use out of it.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

A crap ton of squats and deadlfts, then 4 hours sitting in a meeting is not going to end well :)

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

57 minutes and counting!!!!

I have a bad case of FA (Flat ***) :)

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

LOL Jag believe me I don't even want to live here in the winters. We should have an iMore house commune. So each month we'll all live together in Kumbaya harmony at someone's house :laughing:

Bwahahahaha Kumbaya harmony :rotfl: Ricky you are too funny :laughing:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for seashell to dance! It's Friday I thought maybe she would do a happy dance.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR