The iMore 20K / 50K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: The iMore 20K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

SO.......

Here is the whole story of why no gym yesterday OR today for that matter :)

It all started 6 years ago. We rescued my puppy, Mikey (85lb Boxador), from the shelter. He has been our baby ever since, my walking buddy and just overall a GREAT dog. Well yesterday, my wife and kids wanted to do something nice for the shelter (we donate to them all the time) and bring them all of our old towels and blankets. This was all done without my knowledge, while I was at work.

At 4pm, I am walking out to my car all pumped to go to the gym when I get a text from my wife. She sends me pictures and video of my kids with Jessie, a tiny 2 year old Beagle mix. She then tells me the kids would love it if we could bring Mikey to the shelter to meet Jessie. So what do I do??? Ignore the texts, nope that would have been the correct thing to do. Instead I call them and I do the thing I do best, my father given right, and say NO!!!. First I talk to my kids and I give them the reasons why we wont be getting another dog. They are both noticeably upset. Then I talk to my wife and that does not end well. I got off the phone and continued on my way to the gym, then the guilt of my wife and kids hit me. I call them back and give in and say "FINE! we can bring Mikey to see Jessie, but we are still not getting another dog." I am still exercising my given father right of saying NO!!! ;). I get home, change, get Mikey in the car and off we go.

We get to the shelter and have them bring Jessie out to meet Mikey. He could care less about her, mostly because she was an ankle bitter to him :) They played and ran out in the run for a while, but my answer was still NO!!! I felt she was tooooo small and he would hurt her if they decided to play rough. They brought Jessie back in, but since we were there already I said we could let Mikey play with a few other dogs. First was a Pitbull mix. She scared the kids. Next was a Boxer mix just like Mikey, but he was brought to the shelter for snapping at a little kid. So in the end we did not leave with another dog.

My kids and wife were devastated. I told them we could sponsor Jessie, so another family would not have to pay the adoption fee. They said they would like that so I whipped out the credit card and paid the fee. While I was doing that they asked if they could go spend a few more minutes with Jessie. This time I sad... YES :) (I guess I let my father guard down for a minute, because I was spending money)

10 minutes later they came out of the visiting room and all three of them, both kids and my wife were balling. They cried the whole way home. You would have thought we just brought their pet TO the shelter. Anyway, after lots of talking we got home and I went about my evening routine to get ready for work. I went to bed shorty after. My son could not sleep and spent a while crying about Jessie. I think my wife was crying with him too.

This morning I got up and went for my 4 mile walk with Mikey. All I could think about was how awful my family felt, which in turn made me feel awful. I got home, showered, get ready for work and left. While I was in the car I decided I couldn't bear to see my kids and wife upset. Here comes the part about why I cant go to the gym tonight either.

We are going to give Jessie a new home and adopt her. I called my wife from work and told her, she practically jumped out of her skin in excitement. I made her promise not to tell the kids. It will be full on storybook. Dad will come home from work with the dog in arm :). I already arranged to leave work early, get Jessie, bring her to the Vet for a check up and then bring her home.

Here are a few pictures of Jessie from the shelter.

29b358f2-983d-4efb-97fe-46673e4130ba.jpg
0912e6ba-197c-44fb-8c48-e37c1c13e3dc.jpg
f2dd9bdf-fa3e-4b06-96f3-1bf0c906aaab.jpg

I will have more pictures later on after she is home with us.....

Here is an enjoyable thought for all of you. Tomorrow morning at 4:30am I will be walking Mikey my 85lb rock solid puppy and Jessie my new petite 10lb angel. Should be a pretty funny site :)

TL : DR- We are getting another dog :)

Last edited:

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

SO.......

It all started 6 years ago. We rescued my puppy, Mikey (85lb Boxador), from the shelter. He has been our baby ever since, my walking buddy and just overall a GREAT dog. Well yesterday, my wife and kids wanted to do something nice for the shelter (we donate to them all the time) and bring them all of our old towels and blankets. This was all done without my knowledge, while I was at work.

At 4pm, I am walking out to my car all pumped to go to the gym when I get a text from my wife. She sends me pictures and video of my kids with Jessie, a tiny 2 year old Beagle mix. She then tells me the kids would love it if we could bring Mikey to the shelter to meet Jessie. So what do I do??? Ignore the texts, nope that would have been the correct thing to do. Instead I call them and I do the thing I do best, my father given right, and say NO!!!. First I talk to my kids and I give them the reasons why we wont be getting another dog. They are both noticeably upset. Then I talk to my wife and that does not end well. I got off the phone and continued on my way to the gym, then the guilt of my wife and kids hit me. I call them back and give in and say "FINE! we can bring Mikey to see Jessie, but we are still not getting another dog." I am still exercising my given father right of saying NO!!! ;). I get home, change, get Mikey in the car and off we go.

We get to the shelter and have them bring Jessie out to meet Mikey. He could care less about her, mostly because she was an ankle bitter to him :) They played and ran out in the run for a while, but my answer was still NO!!! I felt she was tooooo small and he would hurt her if they decided to play rough. They brought Jessie back in, but since we were there already I said we could let Mikey play with a few other dogs. First was a Pitbull mix. She scared the kids. Next was a Boxer mix just like Mikey, but he was brought to the shelter for snapping at a little kid. So in the end we did not leave with another dog.

My kids and wife were devastated. I told them we could sponsor Jessie, so another family would not have to pay the adoption fee. They said they would like that so I whipped out the credit card and paid the fee. While I was doing that they asked if they could go spend a few more minutes with Jessie. This time I sad... YES :) (I guess I let my father guard down for a minute, because I was spending money)

10 minutes later they came out of the visiting room and all three of them, both kids and my wife were balling. They cried the whole way home. You would have thought we just brought their pet TO the shelter. Anyway, after lots of talking we got home and I went about my evening routine to get ready for work. I went to bed shorty after. My son could not sleep and spent a while crying about Jessie. I think my wife was crying with him too.

This morning I got up and went for my 4 mile walk with Mikey. All I could think about was how awful my family felt, which in turn made me feel awful. I got home, showered, get ready for work and left. While I was in the car I decided I couldn't bear to see my kids and wife upset. Here comes the part about why I cant go to the gym tonight either.

We are going to give Jessie a new home and adopt her. I called my wife from work and told her, she practically jumped out of her skin in excitement. I made her promise not to tell the kids. It will be full on storybook. Dad will come home from work with the dog in arm :). I already arranged to leave work early, get Jessie, bring her to the Vet for a check up and then bring her home.

View attachment 35348
View attachment 35349
View attachment 35350

Here is an enjoyable thought for all of you. Tomorrow morning at 4:30am I will be walking Mikey my 85lb rock solid puppy and Jessie my new petite 10lb angel. Should be a pretty funny site :)

Awww you big softie! Thats real awesome of you to do man! I get that you didnt want to bring in another dog, but they are truly awesome animals. Very nice of you to let your family have another pet. And one more thing, jessie is a cute dog man! Congrats.

Tapatalking from my Galaxy S IV

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I ended up not going, post with reason to follow, but it would have been.

Overhead press 6 sets 6 reps
Arnold press 3 sets 10 reps
Side lateral raises 3 sets 10 reps
Kettle bell front swing 4 sets 10 reps
Bent over raise 3 sets 10 reps
DB Shrugs 3 sets 10 reps
Nose breakers 4 sets 6 reps
One arm rope press down 3 sets 10 reps
Weighted bench Dips 4 sets 10 reps
Cable crunches on bosu 4 sets 25 reps

I am strict on timing. Strength sets (6reps) are 90 seconds rest, Hypertrophy sets (10reps) are 60 second rest, Abs 45 second rest.

Works outs are a little over an hour, that includes a half mile run to warm up.

Wow that is a nice workout I see a few of those I want to incorporate into my workout. This is my workouts, I'm a rookie compared to you so I just use a 1 second cadence between reps and a 30 second rest between sets. I do either 3 sets of 10 reps or 5 sets of 10 reps. I do alternating days with a day of rest between so Mon- Chest... Tue- Rest Wed- Legs... Thu-Rest Fri-Abs Sat-Chest... Sunday-Abs. My Abs workout is a shorter workout so I do it three times a week and alternating weeks I skip Sunday.

Chest, Arms & Abs
5 sets twisting oblique crunch (Captains chair)
2 sets leg raises (Captains chair)
5 sets bench press (85 lbs)
5 sets crunches (60 lbs)
5 sets Lat Pulls (70 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunch(Alternate)
3 sets curls (65)
5 sets back extensions (60 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch
3 sets bench press
3 sets back extension (75 lbs)
3 sets curls
3-5 sets weighted crunches (55 lbs)
Treadmill

Legs, lower body and abs
2 sets leg raises
5 sets leg press (90 lbs)
5 sets weighted crunches
5 sets leg extensions (35 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunch (alternate)
3 sets leg raises
Treadmill
5 sets leg curls (45 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunches
5 sets calf raises (90 lbs)
5 sets leg raises

Abs
3 sets back extension
5 sets weighted crunches
2 sets back extension
5 sets leg raises
3 sets bench press
Treadmill
3 sets back extension
5 sets weighted crunches
2 sets back extension
3 sets leg extensions
5 set crunches or leg raises or twisting oblique crunch

There are other excercises I want to add like sqauts, lunges etc. but I want to wait until I hit a plateau and then switch it up.

Last edited:

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

SO.......

View attachment 35348
View attachment 35349
View attachment 35350

Awwwweeeeeeeee seeeee you ARE a softy and geez...you didn't want to be single did you ??? Remember the Happy Wife Happy Life scenario :laughing: and in this case Wife & Kiddles !

And just look how cute Jessie is !! Remember in the future....Never go to a rescue shelter unless you plan to bring home a new pet.....no one can walk away :biggrin:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

SO.......

View attachment 35348
View attachment 35349
View attachment 35350

That is an awesome story and you are a good man and a great father :yes: Just look at it this way your muscles need time to recover from your workouts that is how I look at it whenever I miss a workout and in truth when I haven't been feeling well and miss the gym for 5 or 6 days I feel like my muscles respond positively. Yeah I have been on the end of saying no over and over to pets with my wife so throw kids into the mix and I know how hard it must have been :biggrin:

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Aww bamf...such a good heart you have!! Family will love you, new puppy will happy in a loving home and I will so not let my youngest read your post or mine for that matter...she would LOVE a pet!!! She wants to be a Vet and is the most caring little thing when it comes to animals...we just are busy and travel a bit so I don't think it would fair to a pet. Maybe soon when my oldest goes to college (dear lord that's not too far!) it would be a better fit!

Sent from my sweet sassy iPhone

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Wow that is a nice workout I see a few of those I want to incorporate into my workout. This is my workouts, I'm a rookie compared to you so I just use a 1 second cadence between reps and a 30 second rest between reps. I do either 3 sets of 10 reps or 5 sets of 10 reps. I do alternating days with a day of rest between so Mon- Chest... Tue- Rest Wed- Legs... Thu-Rest Fri-Abs Sat-Chest... Sunday-Abs. My Abs workout is a shorter workout so I do it three times a week and alternating weeks I skip Sunday.

Chest, Arms & Abs
5 sets twisting oblique crunch (Captains chair)
2 sets leg raises (Captains chair)
5 sets bench press (85 lbs)
5 sets crunches (60 lbs)
5 sets Lat Pulls (70 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunch(Alternate)
3 sets curls (65)
5 sets back extensions (60 lbs)
3 sets bench press
3 sets back extension (75 lbs)
3 sets curls
3-5 sets weighted crunches (55 lbs)
Treadmill

Legs, lower body and abs
2 sets leg raises
5 sets leg press (90 lbs)
5 sets weighted crunches
5 sets leg extensions (35 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunch (alternate)
3 sets leg raises
Treadmill
5 sets leg curls (45 lbs)
5 sets twisting oblique crunch or weighted crunches
5 sets calf raises (90 lbs)
5 sets leg raises

Abs
3 sets back extension
5 sets weighted crunches
2 sets back extension
5 sets leg raises
3 sets bench press
Treadmill
3 sets back extension
5 sets weighted crunches
2 sets back extension
3 sets leg extensions
5 set crunches or leg raises or twisting oblique crunch

There are other excercises I want to add like sqauts, lunges etc. but I want to wait until I hit a plateau and then switch it up.

Well darn! Both you and bamf are killing it with your workouts. Mine is very short compared to both of yours.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Well darn! Both you and bamf are killing it with your workouts. Mine is very short compared to both of yours.

I've been at it for about more than 6 months now and with my goal I punish my abs as much as possible. I've got an incline bench at home and I'm trying to get one of thos little wheelie things :rotfl: I'll post a picture in a minute.

ab-wheel.jpg

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Just posted up some wallpapers I finally finished up today I'll post one here gotta check the wallpaper section for the others.

Avengers.png

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Let's keep it clean people...

Same forum rules apply to Off Topic as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR