The iMore 20K / 50K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: The iMore 20K Post Challenge - Are you up for it?

Good morning everyone. I wanted to pop in and at least say hello as I am going to have a very busy work day. I trust and hope you all will have a great day and i hope to maybe pop in later. Hope everyone got their coffee and donuts today. :)

Iced Coffee.jpgTim-Hortons-Coffee.jpgpastriesBagelsBreakfast.jpg

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Morning everyone :D

Toronto's medical officer of health issued a heat alert for the city, Thursday -- the first one of the year.

This is too funny because on the weekend we were freezing with temps down to 40F.....now today we have a heat alert....Mother Nature needs to get it together lol !

hey she can PMS too ;) lol

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Wowzers! Yeah that's a BIG weather change. Well stay cool Wendy!

Tapatalking using my iphone

should be an interesting day for me whenever we get into the 30s our server room A/C starts throwing warnings :(

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

So because most of our users at the company I work for always question our reason for requiring complex passwords we in the IT dept. have planned to show them why. We got users to submit passwords similar to what their actual passwords are, we don't keep any hardcopy records of actual passwords, so they have changed a character or two. We have hashed them and I'm currently in the process of researching different tools and tables, dictionaries and methods used to crack passwords. In the first run with hashcat with just the default settings haven't really changed much you would be surprised how many of the altered passwords I've already cracked. All the peeps here seem pretty knowledgable but I urge you maybe you have a cousin, friend, etc. that uses the silliest passwords help them out. Use a password keeper like 1Password, one you can trust and make sure all the passwords are not only complex but different. Here are the rules I usually go by when I'm creating a password

10-14 characters
two mis-spelt words seperated by a non-alphanumeric (#$%&^...) don't use periods
nothing familiar about you (pet, kid, spouse, partner's name)
substitute letters with numbers ie. 4 for a, 8 for b, 3 for e, etc.

I usually go the extra mile so what I did was to make a table where I list all the usual substitutions of numbers for letters and I swapped them so that 3 is for a, etc. The dictionaries and tables crackers use have leet alphabet in them so it will know the usual substitutions. The longer the password the longer it will take a cracker and like car theives they will skip it and move on to the ones that take the less time.

The Easiest Ways Not to Get Hacked

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for that info! I know lots use the easiest password so they don't have to type much or remember a difficult one. I do use numbers for some letters and also special characters in the middle...none of my passwords make sense to anyone but me! And yea I have different ones for each site I frequent. ;)

I use SecureSafe to store mine...free app as well as a website so you can access them wherever.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for that info! I know lots use the easiest password so they don't have to type much or remember a difficult one. I do use numbers for some letters and also special characters in the middle...none of my passwords make sense to anyone but me! And yea I have different ones for each site I frequent. ;)

I use SecureSafe to store mine...free app as well as a website so you can access them wherever.

I use 1Password have it on my iPhone, iPad and Mac. Most of my users I tell them if your info is important the password that protects it should be just as important to you. At work they login once for the entire day I'm like if you want to be lazy with all the sites you use that's cool but here 2-4 minutes wont kill you. My password is 14 characters lol but it takes me about 2 minutes to type it out. My cousin got his GMail hacked and all his contacts got emails that he was mugged in London lol. When we fixed the problem I made him a good password he looked at me "but that's so long" really, really that is why you got hacked in the first place banana234 is not such a great password ROFL

Crude Berry

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

I usually just drink my coffee just as it comes out of the coffee maker. First cup was at 4 am. Hope all of you have a great day, this week at work will be an interesting one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

So because most of our users at the company I work for always question our reason for requiring complex passwords we in the IT dept. have planned to show them why. We got users to submit passwords similar to what their actual passwords are, we don't keep any hardcopy records of actual passwords, so they have changed a character or two. We have hashed them and I'm currently in the process of researching different tools and tables, dictionaries and methods used to crack passwords. In the first run with hashcat with just the default settings haven't really changed much you would be surprised how many of the altered passwords I've already cracked. All the peeps here seem pretty knowledgable but I urge you maybe you have a cousin, friend, etc. that uses the silliest passwords help them out. Use a password keeper like 1Password, one you can trust and make sure all the passwords are not only complex but different. Here are the rules I usually go by when I'm creating a password

10-14 characters
two mis-spelt words seperated by a non-alphanumeric (#$%&^...) don't use periods
nothing familiar about you (pet, kid, spouse, partner's name)
substitute letters with numbers ie. 4 for a, 8 for b, 3 for e, etc.

I usually go the extra mile so what I did was to make a table where I list all the usual substitutions of numbers for letters and I swapped them so that 3 is for a, etc. The dictionaries and tables crackers use have leet alphabet in them so it will know the usual substitutions. The longer the password the longer it will take a cracker and like car theives they will skip it and move on to the ones that take the less time.

The Easiest Ways Not to Get Hacked

Good information ipheuria! I try to tell family and friends to step up their password security but some just don't want to take the time lol. I use quick password manager from the App Store on my iPhone and a app called security vault on my blackberry playbook. Both have some awesome security plus cloud backup to dropbox so I'm happy with that.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I think I will try out secure safe. I've been looking for password keeper that will allow me to access my stuff on a website.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Good information ipheuria! I try to tell family and friends to step up their password security but some just don't want to take the time lol. I use quick password manager from the App Store on my iPhone and a app called security vault on my blackberry playbook. Both have some awesome security plus cloud backup to dropbox so I'm happy with that.

You should do what I do just make the passwords for them lol if they will let you.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

got an image from Reelskie and made an iPhone 5 wallpaper. I will be doig a couple other edits in a few minutes so stay tuned for updates.

Attachments

• Swag.png
    Swag.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 10

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

You should do what I do just make the passwords for them lol if they will let you.

Yeah I've been doing that for my mom so I might as well do it for the rest of them lol. It's just a pain. I barley want to look in my password manager for mine let alone try and figure out my mom's 😆. But I guess we do what we gotta do!

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

got an image from Reelskie and made an iPhone 5 wallpaper. I will be doig a couple other edits in a few minutes so stay tuned for updates.

Can't wait to see what you come up with man!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I use 1Password have it on my iPhone, iPad and Mac. Most of my users I tell them if your info is important the password that protects it should be just as important to you. At work they login once for the entire day I'm like if you want to be lazy with all the sites you use that's cool but here 2-4 minutes wont kill you. My password is 14 characters lol but it takes me about 2 minutes to type it out. My cousin got his GMail hacked and all his contacts got emails that he was mugged in London lol. When we fixed the problem I made him a good password he looked at me "but that's so long" really, really that is why you got hacked in the first place banana234 is not such a great password ROFL

Data Vault App on the Phone with it's desktop equivalent.