Let's get Nostalgic

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I found this post on Gizmodo with this video about the Internet from 1995. It was hilarious but it got me thinking about how far we have come and all the things I've seen and used over the years in terms of technology.

So I thought wouldn't it be fun to go down memory lane? So come on lets get nostalgic and share those stories about back in the day when you used a computer with a 12" screen and it was cutting edge.

The first computer in our house was sometime in the early 90s it was an Amiga that had a tiny 10 or 12" or so monochrome monitor. It ran off 3.5 floppies and the only thing my older brother knew how to do was load up the Star Trek game which was hours of watching stars on the screen like the screensaver. Then in highschool I took a programming class and learned to use Turbo Pascal, the computers at that time used either 5.25 floppy or 3.5. A couple of friends and I messed with the lines of either "Breakout" or "Pong" and we made the bumper the width of the screen, changed the image beneath the blocks and then just sat and watched the ball knocking out the bricks lol tons of fun.

My very first computer was in 1999 I might be a little fuzzy on the details but I believe it was a Pentium 166 or 200 Mhz. It was running Windows 95 and had a modem. We only had one phone line at the time so I could only use the modem at night when no one was going to call the house. I used the AOL free disks at the library to get online and I remember one night it took about 2 or 3 hours to download MSN Messenger lol The modem noise was un-mistakable and opening a page was painfully slow.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I remember the first time our family had the internet...sometime in the early 90's, and i remember searching online for "concept cars", at the time, pontiac had the "new" firebird coming out and i was so excited to see it, so i pulled up this terrible website with pictures that took about 10-15min. to load and the quality was so bad that I was a little heart broken, you knew it was a car, but it was made up of lines and blots of color. It was not what i was hoping for with this new "online" capability.

Also, the unmistakable song of a modem dialing up (as mentioned before), i can remember going from some ridiculously low number to 14.4k and thinking "TURBO POWAAA!"

Thinking about these early days of internet, i thank god we have the tech we do today, lol. What a terrible experience.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone remember AOL and how you had a set amount of time each month to use it? I think we had something like 500 hours a month at one point in time.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When you think about that and now look at this phone in your pocket that has dual/qaud/octo core 1GHz and above CPUs and 1 to 2GB of RAM it's really a cool feeling. At my work we still have boxes of un-used 5.25 floppies. We have media from 3.5 floppies, 100 MB zip disks, 1GB Jaz, 30GB hard drives and now you can easily get 32 and 64GB USB sticks.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of another one seeing as how this is my Friday since I'm off work tomorrow:

Oregon Trail Fridays in computer lab. If we finished our work early, we got to play Oregon Trail on our boot up from C: prompt Commodore 64 green screen computers.

OTrail.pngOT57.png

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was all that back in the early 90's when I got a 486DX 33mhz, while all my friends has 286s or 386s. Then there were those years where I was into downloading stuff and chatting on BBS.

:D

The only thing I miss from the 90s now is the music, and my youthful age at the time.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by GingerSnapsBack
Anyone remember AOL and how you had a set amount of time each month to use it? I think we had something like 500 hours a month at one point in time.

I remember the crazy amount of CD's they sent out. I swear I got one once a month.

I didn't just get them in the mail. They were inside the newspapers, even in the free weekly entertainment papers the "Cleveland Scene" and "Free Times". I probably still have some around my apartment that I could use as drink coasters.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Foroplex

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73