Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default IP Address

Hi guys. Long time lurker but I never had a question so I never registered for the site. I am a proud owner of an iPhone 4 and an iPad 4 along with an iPod.

My question is this. I currently have Time Warner as my internet provider. I want to keep that service. If I also add another internet provider, thinking of adding one of Verizons cellular plans for my laptop, you know the thing you plug into the usb port (had it a couple of years ago but I'm not sure what its called) will that computer now have a new IP address with the new internet connection? Is it possible for the same computer to have two different IP addresses with two different internet connections?

Thank you in advance guys.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Default Re: IP Address

One address at a time.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Thank you for the response. I'm just not sure what you mean. Let me use this example so my brain can process this. Lets say I'm sitting on my couch and using the Time Warner connection...there's one IP address. If I then log off of the Time Warner connection and go to another service provider...I'll use Verizon as the example...is my IP address different on that computer now? Thank you again.

Global Posts
    11,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mlsmith View Post
    Thank you for the response. I'm just not sure what you mean. Let me use this example so my brain can process this. Lets say I'm sitting on my couch and using the Time Warner connection...there's one IP address. If I then log off of the Time Warner connection and go to another service provider...I'll use Verizon as the example...is my IP address different on that computer now? Thank you again.
    Yes...

And it is entirely possible to have two live, active connections to different networks at the same time - that type of use is not something an average consumer user would need...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Thank you for the response. so what you're saying is if I visit a certain website...even on the same computer but using different internet providers...that site will see two different IP addresses?

Global Posts
    11,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes... your computer's IP address is unique to each provider as you're using it.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Yes... your computer's IP address is unique to each provider as you're using it.

Thank you again.