Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,463 Global Posts

    Default Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Well... now I know what they sound like... they just gave my locale a Blizzard Warning. Lovely. Simply (bleeping) Lovely...

    For the curious - the sound you get is 3 short bursts of the same EBS two-tone alert you heard on radio or TV and the message on the screen telling you what kind of alert it is, and you get told to check local media for details...
    Last edited by kch50428; 12-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
  2. #2  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    They tested mine today! LOL!
  3. #3  
    isuquinndog's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    169 Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    We have a blizzard warning too. But I didn't get an alert. Just not available in my area?
  4. #4  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,743 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Is that through an app or part of the phone? I have two apps on my phone - iMap Weather Radar and a TV station out of Little Rock - that both send me alerts when there's something coming for my area. My phone would not shut up last night about 4AM when the storms came through.

    We get blizzard alerts when there's a chance of two snowflakes falling. You must go to the nearest store and buy bread, toilet paper and milk whether you need anything or not. You must go. Or else.

    There's a slight chance of snow after Christmas. I can only hope and yes, I'll be making my mandatory trip to Wal-Mart.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,463 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Quote Originally Posted by isuquinndog View Post
    We have a blizzard warning too. But I didn't get an alert. Just not available in my area?
    It's dependent on service provider, and authorities in the locale where you are being accredited to issue WEAs... I'm in Iowa, and the NWS can issue the WEAs... and Verizon supports them here... Just got another one as they extended the Blizzard Warning here... Interstate 35 is closed from Albert Lea, MN all the way to Ames, Iowa...
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,463 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListenstoLaura View Post
    Is that through an app or part of the phone? I have two apps on my phone - iMap Weather Radar and a TV station out of Little Rock - that both send me alerts when there's something coming for my area. My phone would not shut up last night about 4AM when the storms came through.

    We get blizzard alerts when there's a chance of two snowflakes falling. You must go to the nearest store and buy bread, toilet paper and milk whether you need anything or not. You must go. Or else.

    There's a slight chance of snow after Christmas. I can only hope and yes, I'll be making my mandatory trip to Wal-Mart.
    They're an iOS6 thing... Settings>> Notifications>> scroll to the bottom - "Government Alerts"... toggle on/off as desired...

    Good explanation of WEAs is here: Wireless Emergency Alerts
  7. #7  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,743 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    They're an iOS6 thing... Settings>> Notifications>> scroll to the bottom - "Government Alerts"... toggle on/off as desired...

    Good explanation of WEAs is here: Wireless Emergency Alerts
    That's why I haven't heard of it. I haven't updated to 6 yet. Don't want to lose my JB.
  8. #8  
    haxrnick's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Wonder if it's carrier specific. ATT here and no settings for it.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,463 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Quote Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
    Wonder if it's carrier specific. ATT here and no settings for it.
    It's quite possible AT&T does not support it yet in your area... you'd have to ask them to be sure.
  10. #10  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Pity it's not available here yet with all the tornados we've been having. Could have used it last week when the tornado hitting my roof woke me. The Christmas day nightmare was ok, cause we were all glued to the tv watching them roll in from the west.

    Have I mentioned lately that I am OVER 2012?!
  11. #11  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,326 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,433 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Hope 2013 is a much better year for you, Alli. All the best.:o
  12. #12  

    Default Wireless Emergency Alerts

    I received one for a tornado warning a few months ago.
  13. #13  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Hope 2013 is a much better year for you, Alli. All the best.:o
    I hope so, too. 2012 has really sucked!

Similar Threads

  1. Emergency Alert apps
    By necigrad in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 07:28 AM
  2. Changing the text message alert tone???
    By ILBandit in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 08:15 AM
  3. itunes wireless syncing
    By MagicSiebz in forum iTunes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM
  5. Canadian Wireless News
    By Rene Ritchie in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions