Wireless Emergency Alerts

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well... now I know what they sound like... they just gave my locale a Blizzard Warning. Lovely. Simply (bleeping) Lovely...

For the curious - the sound you get is 3 short bursts of the same EBS two-tone alert you heard on radio or TV and the message on the screen telling you what kind of alert it is, and you get told to check local media for details...

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Is that through an app or part of the phone? I have two apps on my phone - iMap Weather Radar and a TV station out of Little Rock - that both send me alerts when there's something coming for my area. My phone would not shut up last night about 4AM when the storms came through.

We get blizzard alerts when there's a chance of two snowflakes falling. You must go to the nearest store and buy bread, toilet paper and milk whether you need anything or not. You must go. Or else.

There's a slight chance of snow after Christmas. I can only hope and yes, I'll be making my mandatory trip to Wal-Mart. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
We have a blizzard warning too. But I didn't get an alert. Just not available in my area?

It's dependent on service provider, and authorities in the locale where you are being accredited to issue WEAs... I'm in Iowa, and the NWS can issue the WEAs... and Verizon supports them here... Just got another one as they extended the Blizzard Warning here... Interstate 35 is closed from Albert Lea, MN all the way to Ames, Iowa...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is that through an app or part of the phone? I have two apps on my phone - iMap Weather Radar and a TV station out of Little Rock - that both send me alerts when there's something coming for my area. My phone would not shut up last night about 4AM when the storms came through.

We get blizzard alerts when there's a chance of two snowflakes falling. You must go to the nearest store and buy bread, toilet paper and milk whether you need anything or not. You must go. Or else.

There's a slight chance of snow after Christmas. I can only hope and yes, I'll be making my mandatory trip to Wal-Mart. :)

They're an iOS6 thing... Settings>> Notifications>> scroll to the bottom - "Government Alerts"... toggle on/off as desired...

Good explanation of WEAs is here: Wireless Emergency Alerts

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Pity it's not available here yet with all the tornados we've been having. Could have used it last week when the tornado hitting my roof woke me. The Christmas day nightmare was ok, cause we were all glued to the tv watching them roll in from the west.

Have I mentioned lately that I am OVER 2012?!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711