Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Default Re: Tragic shooting at an elementary school in CT...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The person responsible is the shooter...period. Nobody has enough information to start making pie in the sky assumptions so we'll go with what we know, guy gets gun, shoots mom and a bunch of other people, kills self...blame goes to shooter.
    Thank you. That's what I've been saying all along. It's tragic what happened, but even if mom didn't have guns, he still would have heard voices or whatever motivated him to kill those kids and the teachers with something else. Anything can be used as a weapon - even a dead dog.

One thing I want to ask is if this guy had driven a Nissan Maxima through the wall of the school and killed kids, would we blame Nissan? Call for stricter laws on the issuance of drivers licenses?

Why is it when someone massacres people with a gun, it's ban guns! Ban guns! but when someone does it with a car or a baseball bat, no one jumps to ban cars or baseball bats?
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Thanked by:
    kch50428 (12-20-2012)
    kch50428 likes this.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    O.K. Sean, let's agree to disagree.
    What do you disagree with though? That's what I'm curious about...where to place blame?

Why not at the guilty?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #53  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListenstoLaura View Post
    Thank you. That's what I've been saying all along. It's tragic what happened, but even if mom didn't have guns, he still would have heard voices or whatever motivated him to kill those kids and the teachers with something else. Anything can be used as a weapon - even a dead dog.

One thing I want to ask is if this guy had driven a Nissan Maxima through the wall of the school and killed kids, would we blame Nissan? Call for stricter laws on the issuance of drivers licenses?

Why is it when someone massacres people with a gun, it's ban guns! Ban guns! but when someone does it with a car or a baseball bat, no one jumps to ban cars or baseball bats?
    It's easy for people to focus on firearms given their nature...a gun is a tool used primarily for one purpose, where as a car is used for a more innocent purpose, thus drawing less focus when used as a weapon. I think the real test for some of the anti-gun crowd would be to remove their ability to buy something more familiar to them...let's say something like a folding knife...they may only ever use it to open boxes or when they are working on something around the house, but let's say someone in their house hold decides one day to just go insane and stab everyone they know to death and kills the neighbors baby too...with a folding knife you see at any Home Depot around the world with no regulation on who buys it or for what purpose.

What then? No more folding knives? Regulations on the sales of them? What about kitchen knives? Razor blades or Box cutters? This guy could have just as easily grabbed a knife and ran into a kindergarden classroom, killed the teacher and the students and then slit his own throat...but because he used a gun, the world is on fire about gun laws and regulations.

Come on people, wake up and smell the coffee...some people are dark, terrible individuals...and when they want to cause harm, they will find a way to do it, whether it be guns or IED's or knives or a length of rope and a tree, they will find a way. Changing laws and regulations because a sicko killed a bunch of people is like punishing a house hold of 5 kids because one of them got bad grades and the rest got straight A's.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    kch50428 (12-20-2012), GingerSnapsBack (12-20-2012)
    kch50428 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,433 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    What do you disagree with though? That's what I'm curious about...where to place blame?

Why not at the guilty?
    O.K., last time around with this. The shooter takes most of the blame for doing what he did, BUT, the Mom has some blame for putting him in the position of being able to do what he did. I'd say it's 75% shooter, and 25% Mom. If she only taught him to use a can opener, would he have tried to kill a whole bunch of kids with it? He knew what he wanted to do, and thanks to Mom, he had the means, the knowledge, and the opportunity to do it. I'm not going on with this Sean. I saw plenty of dead children in Vietnam, and i don't want to dwell on it any more.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

One thing I will say for everyone here - we've all remained adults during this topic.

I belong to a child free group on Facebook. The same topic came up and JFC...I have no words for what some of the other members were saying about my opinions - the same as I've voiced here - and opinions similar to mine.

I know there are several that disagree with me and I disagree with several of you, but it speaks volumes about the members here that we're able to voice our differences without calling each other selfish gun wielding terrorists or Bible thumping b*tchy nutjobs.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    kch50428 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #56  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    O.K., last time around with this. The shooter takes most of the blame for doing what he did, BUT, the Mom has some blame for putting him in the position of being able to do what he did. I'd say it's 75% shooter, and 25% Mom. If she only taught him to use a can opener, would he have tried to kill a whole bunch of kids with it? He knew what he wanted to do, and thanks to Mom, he had the means, the knowledge, and the opportunity to do it. I'm not going on with this Sean. I saw plenty of dead children in Vietnam, and i don't want to dwell on it any more.
    I respect your bowing out of the debate...all i can do is shrug my shoulders at your stance because as you with me, i whole heartedly disagree with you.

There is nothing so far that shows she was negligent in the storage of the firearms, and trying to assign blame because she taught her child a skill (a skill that is taught to teens quite commonly around the world, not just the U.S.A.) is quite a stretch...and certainly not a fair assessment to a corpse that cannot defend herself or explain the environment in which he was taught or for what purpose.

Assumptions...you know the saying. But you're done with it so there's no sense in me wasting anymore time debating your stance.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #57  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListenstoLaura View Post
    One thing I will say for everyone here - we've all remained adults during this topic.

I belong to a child free group on Facebook. The same topic came up and JFC...I have no words for what some of the other members were saying about my opinions - the same as I've voiced here - and opinions similar to mine.

I know there are several that disagree with me and I disagree with several of you, but it speaks volumes about the members here that we're able to voice our differences without calling each other selfish gun wielding terrorists or Bible thumping b*tchy nutjobs.
    Anyone that doesn't agree with me is a cantaloupe sucking terrorist...Bam.
    iMore Beginner

Default Tragic shooting at an elementary school in CT...

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    Insane... no words to describe the pain of this tragedy
    Certifiably insane is the operative word or words.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    11,066 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What's this? No "assault rifles" used?? Just handguns?? Many in media lying to perpetuate a false narrative to achieve their political ends??
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #60  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,947 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Sensationalist reporting...go figure. And the funny thing is, right from the very start there was a small report of only handguns being used...and that was buried by the media's thirst for that "wow" factor. Nothing starts a panic like the idea that a 20 year old had a bazooka and 25 military grade M-16's, who cares if its accurate, it gets attention...they worry about facts later after their ratings sky rocket.

And all because they want more money...push the poor little kids that never saw 1st grade aside, or the heroes that tried to protect them and lost their lives...pay them no mind, just focus on the shock value, even if we lie and bullsh*t for weeks, we got our ratings.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,433 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post

What's this? No "assault rifles" used?? Just handguns?? Many in media lying to perpetuate a false narrative to achieve their political ends??
    Sounds like the Obama campaign.LOL
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123