Advice About Work Issues

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I work in Burger King in a shopping centre. I get the minimum wage of ?4.98 per hour and non-paid breaks. Sometimes, I only get a 15 minute break for an 11h15m shift which is illegal, but I can't do anything about it really. And now, my manager's expecting all of us to attend work on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. I worked Christmas Eve and Boxing Day last year and it was manic. There would be an incentive to work if I got a bit extra, even ?0.50 extra an hour, but no, we get nothing extra for public holidays or Sundays, but the other shops around do. Even McDonald's get extra. I have planned family get-togethers for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day way before I got told we CANNOT book off Christmas Eve or Boxing Day. Why not? Other shops can ask for those days off, but not us. Any advice on what to do? I'm thinking that I should give notice that I won't attend these days well in advance, then just ring up before my shift to say I'm not attending, or just not bother giving notice and ring up on the days and say I'm not coming in due to family. I have been told by the manager that I shouldn't have bothered to ask her for these days off when I asked her.

End of rant; I just hate working at the Burger King I work at.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
work sucks. unfortunately you will be doing it for A LONG LONG time. It doesnt get better, the best advice anyone will ever give you is to find your passion, get an education that will help you get a job in a field that covers that passion. If you dont do what you love, you will hate what you do!
also go apply at other jobs!!! get hired at a different job and tell your manager to sniff glue

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You work at a fast food place, you are essentially a slave of the king.

The only advice i can give you (and this is not meant to be insulting) but find a new job, get away from the kind of work place that would pay an employee minimum wage...a wise person once said that a company only pays you minimum wage because it's against the law to pay you a dollar an hour for what you're doing. Unfortunately in a situation like that, you're at the mercy of your job, you've really got no power and you're essentially the bottom of the totem pole...there's not much room for heroes in that arena, and even those who make a stance typically get removed for someone else who will go with the flow and not cause friction...the "they don't need you, you need them" mentality.

Strive for something better, get an education if you can, and if you can't, learn a trade that offers you more potential. I know you didn't come here looking for life lessons and advice on your future, but it is what it is...you're essentially a grunt, and companies literally don't care what you think in that position (nor do they worry about what pains you).

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You work at a fast food place, you are essentially a slave of the king.

The only advice i can give you (and this is not meant to be insulting) but find a new job, get away from the kind of work place that would pay an employee minimum wage...a wise person once said that a company only pays you minimum wage because it's against the law to pay you a dollar an hour for what you're doing. Unfortunately in a situation like that, you're at the mercy of your job, you've really got no power and you're essentially the bottom of the totem pole...there's not much room for heroes in that arena, and even those who make a stance typically get removed for someone else who will go with the flow and not cause friction...the "they don't need you, you need them" mentality.

Strive for something better, get an education if you can, and if you can't, learn a trade that offers you more potential. I know you didn't come here looking for life lessons and advice on your future, but it is what it is...you're essentially a grunt, and companies literally don't care what you think in that position (nor do they worry about what pains you).

Hold on there bucko, i always liked being called a "grunt". For me, it is a badge of honor. Just kidding.LOL:p