Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    mikeo007's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,765 Global Posts

    Default Crackberry refugees?

    So if you've been to iMore's sister site Crackberry lately, you've probably noticed that the forums have devolved into a flame fest. I've been part of their community for over 3 years, but things lately have gotten out of hand. There seems to be more posts bashing iOS and Android than there are posts talking about Blackberry. Seems that the realistic members have backed off and made way for the eccentric flame-baiters and trolls. It's too bad really, I loved that community.

    Anyone else recently decide to migrate from Crackberry? I'm hoping to make a new home here. Lots of friends have left Crackberry already, and while there are a few people there I will miss, I think it's time for a change.

    Hopefully I can be a contributing member of this community as I was on Crackberry. I'm not incredibly well connected, but I did break a few news stories a while back.
  2. #2  
    anygivensunday's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    So if you've been to iMore's sister site Crackberry lately, you've probably noticed that the forums have devolved into a flame fest. I've been part of their community for over 3 years, but things lately have gotten out of hand. There seems to be more posts bashing iOS and Android than there are posts talking about Blackberry. Seems that the realistic members have backed off and made way for the eccentric flame-baiters and trolls. It's too bad really, I loved that community.

    Anyone else recently decide to migrate from Crackberry? I'm hoping to make a new home here. Lots of friends have left Crackberry already, and while there are a few people there I will miss, I think it's time for a change.

    Hopefully I can be a contributing member of this community as I was on Crackberry. I'm not incredibly well connected, but I did break a few news stories a while back.
    Yes I came from crackberry. Even when I still had a bb I stopped getting on there and found myself on imore the people over there not sure what their issue is. I was a member there for some years. It just kept getting worse and totally out of hand. It isn't a pleasant forum. Coming over to this side is a much better experience. People are much more relaxed over here. Even the android site is pretty hostile. But glad I'm gone from cb I'm happy where I'm at.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    It's unfortunate how out of hand things have gotten over there. I switched to my 4S last Nov., only hung around the apple forum there for about a month, the packed up and came here for good. It was even bad back then....it's ridiculous really.
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  4. #4  
    DaPhoneking's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Crackberry refugees?

    I was also a frequent user over the CB forums but came over here when I was getting my iP4 on Verizon June/2011. Much more relaxed over here but sometimes there are flame wars over here too. I guess blackberry fans are going to fight to the bitter end lol.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    mikeo007's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,765 Global Posts

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    It's unfortunate how out of hand things have gotten over there. I switched to my 4S last Nov., only hung around the apple forum there for about a month, the packed up and came here for good. It was even bad back then....it's ridiculous really.
    Yes, I don't even have an iPhone and don't know if I'll ever get one, but the atmosphere over there is almost toxic. I know there are a lot of fans there of a struggling company, but things are just getting out of hand. Correcting misconceptions or outright lies immediately gets you labeled as a troll. Every couple of hours a new thread pops up about 10 reasons why Blackberry is better than "X", where usually 9/10 of the reasons are wrong or just straight up fabrications. Some of the members seem to have even formed a militia with the sole intent of getting threads locked if they aren't praising Blackberry.

    I have the utmost respect for Kevin and most of his team, but the forum has almost devolved into a state of no return.
    Roo Zilla and Laura Knotek like this.
  6. #6  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    488 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,941 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Been a member since 08 over there. The last year or two it has really gone down hill. I still read the blogs every day and check up on the forums, but I don't post as often any more.

    There are a few over there that are of the opinion that if you're not a blind RIM cheerleader, then you're a hater. God forbid you say anything remotely critical of RIM or their devices. Those guys refuse to listen to any reason, seem to be almost obsessed with knocking iOS and Android devices, and are in a way trolling their own forums. I like my 9900, as i do my PlayBook, iPad 3, and iPod touch 5, but I'm not going to look at them through fanboy glasses nor will I be an apologist for any weaknesses or things I don't like about them.

    That being said, I'm still holding out hope once BB10 is released, people will have a lot more exciting and positive things to talk about.

    [
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  7. #7  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    I find it funny that the CB community considers us iSheep because we all use iPhones or an iProduct and some consider us blindly loyal, yet they don't consider themselves sheep for doing the exact same thing as iPhone users.

    Ah, the hilarity.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  8. #8  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    19,887 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,116 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    I find it funny that the CB community considers us iSheep because we all use iPhones or an iProduct and some consider us blindly loyal, yet they don't consider themselves sheep for doing the exact same thing as iPhone users.

    Ah, the hilarity.
    'nuf said...
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    mikeo007's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,765 Global Posts

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    They should add a banner to the top of the site: ignorance--misinformation--hypocriticism

    I just looked over there, I think there are already more iPad mini threads on Crackberry than there are here. How can people be so insecure about which chunk of glass and metal/plastic that they choose to haul around?

    - - - Updated - - -

    They should add a banner to the top of the site: ignorance--misinformation--hypocriticism

    I just looked over there, I think there are already more iPad mini threads on Crackberry than there are here. How can people be so insecure about which chunk of glass and metal/plastic that they choose to haul around?
  10. #10  
    Crude Berry's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    I came over from Crackberry when I bought my iP4. I still visit every so often but don't visit as often anymore due to the flame wars about which is better etc.
  11. #11  
    Laura Knotek's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,562 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    I don't even have an iPhone and don't know if I'll ever get one. However, I do like it here and also recognize a lot of people here who used to be on Crackberry.

    @Pink, I see you shortened your handle here. I remember your old one on Crackberry.

    @NobodyListensToLaura, I'm sure I know you from Crackberry; however, I do not remember your old handle.

    iMore Lounge is cool. There are usually some fun threads.

    I also like the wallpaper threads here. The wallpapers work great on my device, not just on iPhones.

    Android Central is pretty much the same as Crackberry, unfortunately. I got called an anti-Sprint, anti-Android troll and was accused of promoting VZW secretly when I posted that someone with lousy coverage on Sprint get an S3 on VZW instead of Sprint. I wasn't telling that person to get anything other than Android either. Someone thought I was trolling because I posted from a Nokia Lumia 900 (not Android), but the pro-VZW trolling accusations were ridiculous; I have AT&T, not VZW. I never suggested Windows Phone or AT&T.
    Laura Knotek
  12. #12  
    Laura Knotek's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,562 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    So if you've been to iMore's sister site Crackberry lately, you've probably noticed that the forums have devolved into a flame fest. I've been part of their community for over 3 years, but things lately have gotten out of hand. There seems to be more posts bashing iOS and Android than there are posts talking about Blackberry. Seems that the realistic members have backed off and made way for the eccentric flame-baiters and trolls. It's too bad really, I loved that community.

    Anyone else recently decide to migrate from Crackberry? I'm hoping to make a new home here. Lots of friends have left Crackberry already, and while there are a few people there I will miss, I think it's time for a change.

    Hopefully I can be a contributing member of this community as I was on Crackberry. I'm not incredibly well connected, but I did break a few news stories a while back.
    Hi mikeo007.

    I do know you from Crackberry.

    I agree with you that it's gotten pretty intolerable there, especially in News & Rumors. Most of the time I'm logged in it is to report posts that people post in News & Rumors (which is supposed to be BlackBerry news) when I see new threads about iPad/Windows Phone/iPhone/Microsoft Surface/[insert name of non-BlackBerry device].

    I've been treated here in a friendly way, and I haven't seen any flame wars on this site.
    Laura Knotek
    Thanked by:
    mikeo007 (10-24-2012)
    mikeo007 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Roo Zilla's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    I took a 2 year break from Crackberry, because back then it was just getting too full of denial of reality. I mean some of those guys think the battery pull thing is a "feature." I checked in a month ago just to see what's going on .... and lo and behold.... more of the same. I mostly try to correct people's mistakes or misconceptions, but it's almost like talking to a brick wall with some of militant Crackheads over there. I see plenty of Mike007's posts and he's usually very level-headed and correct, but he gets jumped on like a freshly perfumed french poodle at the dog pound. That's not to say there aren't any militants here, but it's nowhere the level of what you see on Crackberry. All you have to do is look at the PB section... they actually have separate rules for that section.
    There are some people who for some strange reason, that if they're on a diet, they don't want you to eat a cupcake. If you do eat a cupcake, all they want to do is tell you that it tastes bad.
    Laura Knotek and mikeo007 like this.
  14. #14  
    Laura Knotek's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,562 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    I took a 2 year break from Crackberry, because back then it was just getting too full of denial of reality. I mean some of those guys think the battery pull thing is a "feature." I checked in a month ago just to see what's going on .... and lo and behold.... more of the same. I mostly try to correct people's mistakes or misconceptions, but it's almost like talking to a brick wall with some of militant Crackheads over there. I see plenty of Mike007's posts and he's usually very level-headed and correct, but he gets jumped on like a freshly perfumed french poodle at the dog pound. That's not to say there aren't any militants here, but it's nowhere the level of what you see on Crackberry. All you have to do is look at the PB section... they actually have separate rules for that section.
    Hopefully it will settle down there. I remember the Storm forums when I originally joined Crackberry. I made sure I stayed far away from those. Then again, I stayed far away from the Storm anyway, since it was for VZW and I've always had AT&T.
    Laura Knotek
    Roo Zilla likes this.
  15. #15  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    IMHO: Crackberry has degenerated into a loyalty contest. Now picture this scenario...To prove his BB loyalty, a fanboy, wearing his Rimpire Strikes Back tee shirt, and holding his beloved device in one hand, commits seppuku in front of the Rim Headquarters at Waterloo. Farfetched, yes. Impossible, no!!!
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    Roo Zilla likes this.
  16. #16  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    IMHO: Crackberry has degenerated into a loyalty contest. Now picture this scenario...To prove his BB loyalty, a fanboy, wearing his Rimpire Strikes Back tee shirt, and holding his beloved device in one hand, commits seppuku in front of the Rim Headquarters at Waterloo. Farfetched, yes. Impossible, no!!!
    You forgot they do all that while holding one of those black sheep with the BBM star on it.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    mikeo007's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,765 Global Posts

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    I took a 2 year break from Crackberry, because back then it was just getting too full of denial of reality. I mean some of those guys think the battery pull thing is a "feature." I checked in a month ago just to see what's going on .... and lo and behold.... more of the same. I mostly try to correct people's mistakes or misconceptions, but it's almost like talking to a brick wall with some of militant Crackheads over there. I see plenty of Mike007's posts and he's usually very level-headed and correct, but he gets jumped on like a freshly perfumed french poodle at the dog pound. That's not to say there aren't any militants here, but it's nowhere the level of what you see on Crackberry. All you have to do is look at the PB section... they actually have separate rules for that section.
    I'm kind of getting a kick out of staying quiet over there and just watching the flame wars. I'll probably start knocking down the crazy comments again soon, but it's surprising how out of hand some of the militants are getting without much resistance.

    On a happier note, I'm getting back into the iPhone world. Just ordered an iPhone 5; my first iPhone since the old 3G.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
  18. #18  
    Laura Knotek's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,562 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I'm kind of getting a kick out of staying quiet over there and just watching the flame wars. I'll probably start knocking down the crazy comments again soon, but it's surprising how out of hand some of the militants are getting without much resistance.

    On a happier note, I'm getting back into the iPhone world. Just ordered an iPhone 5; my first iPhone since the old 3G.
    Cool! Good luck with your new iPhone.

    I'm installing Windows 8 Professional now.
  19. #19  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    488 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,941 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I'm kind of getting a kick out of staying quiet over there and just watching the flame wars. I'll probably start knocking down the crazy comments again soon, but it's surprising how out of hand some of the militants are getting without much resistance.
    Some days I shake my head reading some of the comments by the more hardcore militant fanboys there, how they justify things, and their mindset when it comes to all things BlackBerry. I've never seen a group troll their own forums so hard.

    That being said, there's still good people and some good posts to be found over there
  20. #20  
    Laura Knotek's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,562 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry Guy from CB View Post
    Some days I shake my head reading some of the comments by the more hardcore militant fanboys there, how they justify things, and their mindset when it comes to all things BlackBerry. I've never seen a group troll their own forums so hard.

    That being said, there's still good people and some good posts to be found over there
    So many posters there are clueless about things. I corrected someone who didn't know the difference between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. He was talking about separating BES/BIS and asked about Windows 8 folders. I had to tell him Windows 8 is a desktop PC OS.
  21. #21  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    488 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,941 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    So many posters there are clueless about things. I corrected someone who didn't know the difference between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. He was talking about separating BES/BIS and asked about Windows 8 folders. I had to tell him Windows 8 is a desktop PC OS.
    I guess ignorance is bliss for some people....
  22. #22  
    RWWackostu's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    I moved over just a few weeks ago, when I realized I didn't want to have to wait and wait and wait for what I could have right now with my iPhone. So I jumped ship after 7 years on BB and 3+ years on CB where I really did try and help and fix and be an asset to the overall community.

    So now as I learn my new device and iOS and the Apple culture, I find myself in with a great group of people here. and I now "get" why this platform is so popular. It just works. How I want it to work.
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

    iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

    @wackostu on Twitter
  23. #23  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by rwwackostu View Post
    I moved over just a few weeks ago, when I realized I didn't want to have to wait and wait and wait for what I could have right now with my iPhone. So I jumped ship after 7 years on BB and 3+ years on CB where I really did try and help and fix and be an asset to the overall community.

    So now as I learn my new device and iOS and the Apple culture, I find myself in with a great group of people here. and I now "get" why this platform is so popular. It just works. How I want it to work.
    And we promise we won't roast you over an open flame if you decide to go back to BB or try Android.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  24. #24  
    RWWackostu's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    And we promise we won't roast you over an open flame if you decide to go back to BB or try Android.
    Wife had an android. That thing frustrated me to no end. I still have a BB Playbook, but i am hoping Santa brings a iPad4 and lays it gently under the tree (with the BT keyboard case as well).

    I feel as I belong in the platform I am in. I will still read about BB 10 but unless it blows the world away with what it does (not holding my breath) I am here to stay.
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

    iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

    @wackostu on Twitter
  25. #25  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Crackberry refugees?

    Quote Originally Posted by RWWackostu View Post
    Wife had an android. That thing frustrated me to no end. I still have a BB Playbook, but i am hoping Santa brings a iPad4 and lays it gently under the tree (with the BT keyboard case as well).

    I feel as I belong in the platform I am in. I will still read about BB 10 but unless it blows the world away with what it does (not holding my breath) I am here to stay.

    I think even if it is as good as Heins said it will be, it won't be a success because the app development is not there. Everyone at CB thinks the reason BB has gone down hill is because of the iBrainwashing done by Apple. They're too blind to see the real reason which is the lack of apps and the lack of doing anything even remotely productive.

    BB's answer to the iPhone was the Storm.
    BB's answer to the iPad was the PlayBook.

    I'm seeing a pattern here...
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Inspired by the Crackberry Forums
    By rknowlt in forum iMore.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
  2. CrackBerry Kevin on the iPhone 3G - Help!
    By Kevin Michaluk in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM
  4. Crackberry has it, why not the iphoneblog
    By rpalumbo in forum iMore.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
  5. Why iPhone Replaced My Crackberry
    By trevor in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions