Crackberry refugees?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So many posters there are clueless about things. I corrected someone who didn't know the difference between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. He was talking about separating BES/BIS and asked about Windows 8 folders. I had to tell him Windows 8 is a desktop PC OS.

I guess ignorance is bliss for some people....

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I moved over just a few weeks ago, when I realized I didn't want to have to wait and wait and wait for what I could have right now with my iPhone. So I jumped ship after 7 years on BB and 3+ years on CB where I really did try and help and fix and be an asset to the overall community.

So now as I learn my new device and iOS and the Apple culture, I find myself in with a great group of people here. and I now "get" why this platform is so popular. It just works. How I want it to work.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I moved over just a few weeks ago, when I realized I didn't want to have to wait and wait and wait for what I could have right now with my iPhone. So I jumped ship after 7 years on BB and 3+ years on CB where I really did try and help and fix and be an asset to the overall community.

So now as I learn my new device and iOS and the Apple culture, I find myself in with a great group of people here. and I now "get" why this platform is so popular. It just works. How I want it to work.

And we promise we won't roast you over an open flame if you decide to go back to BB or try Android. :)

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
And we promise we won't roast you over an open flame if you decide to go back to BB or try Android. :)

Wife had an android. That thing frustrated me to no end. I still have a BB Playbook, but i am hoping Santa brings a iPad4 and lays it gently under the tree (with the BT keyboard case as well).

I feel as I belong in the platform I am in. I will still read about BB 10 but unless it blows the world away with what it does (not holding my breath) I am here to stay.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Wife had an android. That thing frustrated me to no end. I still have a BB Playbook, but i am hoping Santa brings a iPad4 and lays it gently under the tree (with the BT keyboard case as well).

I feel as I belong in the platform I am in. I will still read about BB 10 but unless it blows the world away with what it does (not holding my breath) I am here to stay.

I think even if it is as good as Heins said it will be, it won't be a success because the app development is not there. Everyone at CB thinks the reason BB has gone down hill is because of the iBrainwashing done by Apple. They're too blind to see the real reason which is the lack of apps and the lack of doing anything even remotely productive.

BB's answer to the iPhone was the Storm.
BB's answer to the iPad was the PlayBook.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Another big issue for RIM is money. It cannot throw money at developers, since it does not have a lot of money. $2 billion is nothing compared to what Apple, Google and Microsoft have.

Apple and Google will remain successful. Microsoft will keep pumping money into Windows Phone like it did with Xbox.

I predict the 3 platforms will be iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The "rule of three" typically does apply in most markets, and I do not see why it wouldn't apply in the smartphone platform market.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Another big issue for RIM is money. It cannot throw money at developers, since it does not have a lot of money. $2 billion is nothing compared to what Apple, Google and Microsoft have.

Apple and Google will remain successful. Microsoft will keep pumping money into Windows Phone like it did with Xbox.

The "rule of three" typically does apply in most markets, and I do not see why it wouldn't apply in the smartphone platform market.

Very well put. I do agree with the with u in the rule of three.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

But...but...they have 80 million subscribers!

That seems to be the only argument CB users know besides calling us iSheep and poking fun at our iToys while playing Crappy Birds.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

That seems to be the only argument CB users know besides calling us iSheep and poking fun at our iToys while playing Crappy Birds.

That's true. The sad thing is that I have friends who have iPhones and they don't use any games at all. They switched from Blackberry to iPhone for productivity apps they need for their jobs that aren't offered for Blackberry. These people are not using their iPhones as toys at all. The Crackberry posters wouldn't understand, though. Angry Birds and Netflix seems to be the only thing they believe iOS/Android/WP users do.

diegonei

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So this is where you've been hiding!

That's true. The sad thing is that I have friends who have iPhones and they don't use any games at all. They switched from Blackberry to iPhone for productivity apps they need for their jobs that aren't offered for Blackberry. These people are not using their iPhones as toys at all. The Crackberry posters wouldn't understand, though. Angry Birds and Netflix seems to be the only thing they believe iOS/Android/WP users do.

Now now, I liked you better when you were a true believer. Na, just kidding!

Anyone saying that iPhones are toys clearly doesn't understand what smartphones are about. It's just the security thing that has to be sorted. On that, all platforms are behind BlackBerry and Windows.

Not all of us are like that. :)

Fact is you get fanboyism on every single platform. And it will suck on every single platform.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
So this is where you've been hiding!
Actually, I come here, since I like a lot of the Lounge threads and remember people who used to be active on CB when I first joined.

I'm probably most active on wpcentral, since that is the forum for the device I currently use.

Now now, I liked you better when you were a true believer. Na, just kidding!
:) I know.

Anyone saying that iPhones are toys clearly doesn't understand what smartphones are about. It's just the security thing that has to be sorted. On that, all platforms are behind BlackBerry and Windows.

Not all of us are like that. :)

Fact is you get fanboyism on every single platform. And it will suck on every single platform.
I used to think the worst fanboys/fangirls were Linux users, since I run Linux in addition to Windows and am active on Linux forums. However, not even the Linux forum members hate Windows or OS X as much as the rabid fanboys/fangirls on CB hate anything other than RIM products. :(

diegonei

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to think the worst fanboys/fangirls were Linux users, since I run Linux in addition to Windows and am active on Linux forums. However, not even the Linux forum members hate Windows or OS X as much as the rabid fanboys/fangirls on CB hate anything other than RIM products. :(

Same can be said about Android vs iOS, iOS vs BlackBerry... I am just not familiar with WP8 users. But thanks to Passport, I hope I get to know some! :D

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

The first iPhone I got was company issued. The company switched to iPhone because Blackberry couldn't handle email attachments bigger than 3MB IIRC, and we had to be able to handle up to 10MB. I don't know if it's any better now, but it doesn't look like we're going back.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The first iPhone I got was company issued. The company switched to iPhone because Blackberry couldn't handle email attachments bigger than 3MB IIRC, and we had to be able to handle up to 10MB. I don't know if it's any better now, but it doesn't look like we're going back.
The limit is up to 8MB, but that still wouldn't work for your company.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

That's one of the reasons I gave up my Storm. The coding apps I needed were on iOS or Android only and the look it up in a book way of doing it was a PIMA to use.

I do play Angry Birds. I do watch Netflix at the gym and at home occasionally but the main reason I switched was because of the apps.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Damn! I forgot my Crackberry log-in information. Anyone know if there's a way to recover the account if you don't have the email address you signed up with?

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I gave up my Storm. The coding apps I needed were on iOS or Android only and the look it up in a book way of doing it was a PIMA to use.

I do play Angry Birds. I do watch Netflix at the gym and at home occasionally but the main reason I switched was because of the apps.

I tried Angry Birds just to see what it was but just didn't get into it. I do watch Netflix occasionally.

However, the main reasons I switched were: need for other apps, tired of spinning black clock/battery pulls/looking for hybrids to attempt to improve performance, need for better browser, tired of truncated e-mails.

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Same thing for me. I was a member of CB for years and it got so bad that I just lurked and looked for cool wallpapers or themes. I was always afraid to post a question since I usually got yelled at for not searching first. I gave up! Went from a BB to a Droid to now an iPhone 4s. iMore seems to be a more reasonable place so I hope to get over my fear of posting. :)

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Same thing for me. I was a member of CB for years and it got so bad that I just lurked and looked for cool wallpapers or themes. I was always afraid to post a question since I usually got yelled at for not searching first. I gave up! Went from a BB to a Droid to now an iPhone 4s. iMore seems to be a more reasonable place so I hope to get over my fear of posting. :)

I'm sorry that you got yelled at for not searching first. :( Granted, searching is good in many cases, since there might already be threads with similar topics; however, the forum search is not all that intuitive. I've had better luck using Google search than the actual forum search. So I would not yell at someone, since he/she might have even tried searching and had no luck.

People here on iMore have not yelled at me at all! So far, everyone has been nice and friendly.

There are some cool iPhone wallpapers on iMore. Have you checked them out?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen