Anyone with SquareTrade warranty experience on TV's?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So my wife and I bought a new plasma TV this week to replace the one that recently died in our living room (after only 5 years...damn TV's aren't made like they used to be). At any rate, as we were checking out, i was looking at the warranties available from the store, and realized that the cost of the warranty was pretty substantial in comparison with the total cost of the TV, so i asked the guy at the counter what he thought and surprisingly, he goes "Just go online and get a SquareTrade warranty and save some money, they'll do pretty much what we'll do and they actually offer a quicker turn around time."

Somewhat shocked at his response, i hesitantly put down the in store warranty info and proceeded to buy the TV without extra coverage. Now i'm pretty versed in the common issues with plasma TV's, especially Samsung plasma's (which this is), so i want to make sure i have a safety net, and i went ahead and bought the Squaretrade warranty for 4 years.

Any opinions? Suggestions? Critical thoughts? I've never had a warranty on anything through them so I'm a bit apprehensive at the amazing price vs. the legitimacy of the service we may have to use in the future.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
One major question I'm wondering about is whether or not you can extend coverage at the end of the 4 years? Do they give you the option of paying for another warranty term or is this a one shot deal? Does the warranty cover multiple repairs or a singular incident?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
A tv is one of the only two things I don't have warrantied through SquareTrade. (I opted for instore warranty on my refrigerator.) I've had great luck with them on phones, cameras, camcorders, and even have my air conditioner/window unit warrantied through SquareTrade. If I were to buy a new tv, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a SquareTrade warranty.

I don't know if they do extended warranties, but I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you if you email them.

Reactions: anon(4698833)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much everyone i have asked that has used ST said they used it with their phone's and mobile electronics with better than average service from them. Only one person said they had an issue with them and it was with a surround sound setup that was still under factory warranty (i guess they tried to use ST to warranty it and they were referred to the factory for warranty work).

The price was fantastic, and they were very helpful with their Q&A (and yes, they said they do offer extended warranties past the first coverage, though at an inflated cost, which isn't surprising since they are warrantying (by that time) an older piece of electronic equipment...in many ways like a company that warranties an older car would).