metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For the last few years, I've been switching between BlackBerry and Android, but the last 6 months, I've been using iPhone. There are so many things I love about each platform and things I don't like either. I'm now to the point that I really need to decide which platform to keep using and sell the other two. And I'm also going to write a paper (for lack of a better term I guess) on my own little platform tour. So I just want to know, in as much detail as you can give, why choose iPhone, what makes iPhone the best choice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the last few years, I've been switching between BlackBerry and Android, but the last 6 months, I've been using iPhone. There are so many things I love about each platform and things I don't like either. I'm now to the point that I really need to decide which platform to keep using and sell the other two. And I'm also going to write a paper (for lack of a better term I guess) on my own little platform tour. So I just want to know, in as much detail as you can give, why choose iPhone, what makes iPhone the best choice?

We can't answer that question for you. You've already become acquainted with iOS, Blackberry and Android so you use YOUR knowledge of them and come up with an argument which platform YOU think is best. I will ask you one question, however. Which platform have you invested the most money in terms of hardware and apps? Answering that question may help with your decision.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Great argument, how about both BlackBerry and Android offer more customization, BlackBerry has better security, iPhone app list is every home screen......etc. I need legitimate arguments.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone with Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
We can't answer that question for you. You've already become acquainted with iOS, Blackberry and Android so you use YOUR knowledge of them and come up with an argument which platform YOU think is best. I will ask you one question, however. Which platform have you invested the most money in terms of hardware and apps? Answering that question may help with your decision.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

In hardware and apps.....well, most of the apps I want are free on Android and paid on iPhone and not available on BlackBerry, I think BlackBerry wins the app cost. Cases for a device, iPhone wins. Total invested time, equal between all 3. My want for all 3, equal as well. That's why I'm looking more for why others have chosen it and why they chose it over the competition.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great argument, how about both BlackBerry and Android offer more customization, BlackBerry has better security, iPhone app list is every home screen......etc. I need legitimate arguments.

To summarize, arguably:

Blackberry - Great security, speed of delivery in regard to messaging & email and good for business use.

Android - More settings for a better customer control out of the box, variety of devices as well as customized operating systems, usually with bigger screens and the feel of a laptop in the form of a smartphone as well as 4G/LTE.

IPhone - simple, fast, elegant, massively popular, unmatched App Store, great support and updates are retroactive to older devices, for the most part.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In hardware and apps.....well, most of the apps I want are free on Android and paid on iPhone and not available on BlackBerry, I think BlackBerry wins the app cost. Cases for a device, iPhone wins. Total invested time, equal between all 3. My want for all 3, equal as well. That's why I'm looking more for why others have chosen it and why they chose it over the competition.

Questions to ponder:

1. Can RIM survive its downward spiral and make Blackberry a dominant force in the smartphone industry again?

2. Will Android continue to risk losing customers to Apple because of its fragmentation and will Google finally step in and not allow HTC, Motorola, Samsung and others to layer it OS with customizations for uniformity purposes? If so, how might it affect The iPhone?

3. Will Apple allow for more customizations out of the box? Will the carriers rebel against Apple at some point due to the agreements they have with Apple?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Questions to ponder:

1. Can RIM survive its downward spiral and make Blackberry a dominant force in the smartphone industry again?

2. Will Android continue to risk losing customers to Apple because of its fragmentation and will Google finally step in and not allow HTC, Motorola, Samsung and others to layer it OS with customizations for uniformity purposes? If so, how might it affect The iPhone?

3. Will Apple allow for more customizations out of the box? Will the carriers rebel against Apple at some point due to the agreements they have with Apple?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

True, but with #1, that depends on the phone salesmen a lot too, but BB10 is looking amazing and has the capability to run both Android and iOS apps.

#2, most people care more about flashiness these days rather than a good solid device. I am no different, that's why I initially left BlackBerry. But the Android devices get more attention in stores, more commercials, they are cheaper.....they made and priced to sell plain and simple. And if Apple would lose its ego, there would be more iPhone sales. I'm sorry but I don't think it costs more than $100 to make an iPhone so are we paying $6-800 for them (depending on memory of course).

#3, see argument #2. Apple won't allow that much freedom because they lose money that way. Don't believe me? Why is iPhone the only smartphone without expandable memory?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True, but with #1, that depends on the phone salesmen a lot too, but BB10 is looking amazing and has the capability to run both Android and iOS apps.

#2, most people care more about flashiness these days rather than a good solid device. I am no different, that's why I initially left BlackBerry. But the Android devices get more attention in stores, more commercials, they are cheaper.....they made and priced to sell plain and simple. And if Apple would lose its ego, there would be more iPhone sales. I'm sorry but I don't think it costs more than $100 to make an iPhone so are we paying $6-800 for them (depending on memory of course).

#3, see argument #2. Apple won't allow that much freedom because they lose money that way. Don't believe me? Why is iPhone the only smartphone without expandable memory?

Sorry for the delayed reply i just got back from exercising and need to take a shower before dinner. Anyway, believe me when I say that I'm not challenging your rationale because I'm not. You bring up excellent points and a lot of people will agree wholeheartedly. My points to ponder were to help you answer the question you posed at the beginning of this thread...Why iPhone? Or why Blackberry or Android? ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why is iPhone the only smartphone without expandable memory?

The iPhone is NOT the only device without expandable memory. Off the top of my head I can name 3 and both are on different OS. The Nokia Lumia 900 running WM and the HTC One X as will as the Galaxy Nexus both running Android OS. There are others as well I believe, so your argument here over expandable memory is not valid. ;)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed reply i just got back from exercising and need to take a shower before dinner. Anyway, believe me when I say that I'm not challenging your rationale because I'm not. You bring up excellent points andante people will agree wholeheartedly. My points to ponder were to help you answer the question you posed at the beginning of this thread...Why iPhone? Or why Blackberry or Android? ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I agree as well, it's very tough decision for me.

The iPhone is NOT the only device without expandable memory. Off the top of my head I can name 3 and both are on different OS. The Nokia Lumia 900 running WM and the HTC One X as will as the Galaxy Nexus both running Android OS. There are others as well I believe, so your argument here over expandable memory is not valid. ;)

I was unaware of the newer Androids not having expandable memory. And I don't know WP, I'm on verizon the Android I have is an HTC Resound.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

That's because there aren't any apps on BBOS to buy. Everything these days is iOS or Android.

I read another post of yours about BB10 being able to compete. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see if it's the death knell or not for RIM. BB has a lot of negative press to overcome. Part of my job at work is to go through orientation with new RN students who come through my department for rotations. One guy had a BB and the rest of us had iPhones and one student had an Android. I heard more than once about why do people still use BB with their outdated OS and their lack of apps. Even the guy that had the BB was riding it out until his contract was over and would "probably" be getting the iPhone5 or whatever it'll be called. It's that attitude that RIM has got to overcome before they can make BB10 profitable. Most people see a BB and they think of the old Pearl and Curve models. I was burned by a string of bad Curves as well as being swept up in the Storm. A fifteen second commercial showing some woman in a skirt talking about getting 3000 emails a day won't help your image.

But to answer your question, I chose iOS because it suited my needs. The app library on iOS is amazing and no, I do not have "fart" apps on my phone. I have a few games, but I also have several apps I use at work every day. At first, I didn't want to jailbreak my iPhone. I was happy with stock, but now I jailbroke it and I can make my iPhone mine, just as I could by installing themes on my BBs.

I also live in tornado country. When I'm hiding in my closet to keep from reenacting that scene in the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch flies past Dorothy's window, I need something to keep me informed. I have both NOAA radio, RadarScope and LiveStream installed on my phone. One of the local TV stations uses LiveStream to stream weather information on their channel there. If I'm in the closet with my dog and cats, I can still keep track of the storm one of two ways if the power goes out or if I lose my DirecTV service. That's important to me. Very important to me. An LED light and a keyboard don't come close to matching what I need out of a phone.

In other words with my long and rambling post, you should stick with what device suits your needs, whether it be a BB, an Android or an iPhone. I chose iPhone. You pick what you want to pick. You have to live with your phone choice. We don't.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That's because there aren't any apps on BBOS to buy.

:what: uhh.....there are plenty of paid apps on BBOS. Haven't you seen the video of the $500 clock widget CrackBerry Kevin bought? But as far as what I bought on BBOS, I bought MeterBerry, BerryWeather (most accurate weather app I've ever used), QuickLaunch, Tapatalk, and I think that's it but it totals around $20-30, I forgot how much MeterBerry costs.

And the only reason iPhone wins in case cost over the BlackBerry is because of the Book Book, Otterbox Defender, BoxWave Keyboard Buddy and LifeProof cases. Otherwise I think BlackBerry would win that one too. I even changed the housing on the 9700 I had.

I think the only things keeping from outright choosing BB right now are the screen size, media capabilities/wifi hotspot (I have a Kindle Fire but it's not always the best option), and the fact that this one I have gets crape signal in my house. But I attribute that to Verizon not putting a 4G SIM in it. Verizon is the only carrier I know of that says the 9900/30 isn't 4G, maybe not full 4G, but it will still get a speed boost and signal boost from pulling off the 4G towers as well.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the only things keeping from outright choosing BB right now are the screen size, media capabilities/wifi hotspot (I have a Kindle Fire but it's not always the best option), and the fact that this one I have gets crape signal in my house. But I attribute that to Verizon not putting a 4G SIM in it. Verizon is the only carrier I know of that says the 9900/30 isn't 4G, maybe not full 4G, but it will still get a speed boost and signal boost from pulling off the 4G towers as well.

If VZW is your carrier, the SIM means nothing. You could take it out completely and still use VZW's network (which is CDMA, not LTE). The 9930 and the iPhone are both CDMA devices on VZW. Only some of the Android devices are LTE at this time.

The SIM in any VZW "world phone" (dual CDMA/GSM) is for international roaming, not for use on VZW's network. The reason for that is most overseas carriers do not have CDMA networks, so a VZW phone without a GSM SIM would be a paperweight in Europe.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If VZW is your carrier, the SIM means nothing. You could take it out completely and still use VZW's network (which is CDMA, not LTE). The 9930 and the iPhone are both CDMA devices on VZW. Only some of the Android devices are LTE at this time.

The SIM in any VZW "world phone" (dual CDMA/GSM) is for international roaming, not for use on VZW's network. The reason for that is most overseas carriers do not have CDMA networks, so a VZW phone without a GSM SIM would be a paperweight in Europe.

Yeah I noticed that, only the 9900 gets HSPA/LTE boost.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't go with an iPhone. Apple copied EVERYTHING from Android. Android was the first cell phone ever and Apple copied everything that Android has, even the phone keypad, which Android created. Also, Android was the first to have a map. Nobody ever had a map before Android, nobody. People were constantly lost until Android gave them the ability to find their way. And because Android was the first to have a weather widget, nobody knew what the weather was like outside before Android.

skipbarker

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I've used all three platforms myself. Eventually, I went with iPhone because it just works better with my iPad and Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go with an iPhone. Apple copied EVERYTHING from Android. Android was the first cell phone ever and Apple copied everything that Android has, even the phone keypad, which Android created. Also, Android was the first to have a map. Nobody ever had a map before Android, nobody. People were constantly lost until Android gave them the ability to find their way. And because Android was the first to have a weather widget, nobody knew what the weather was like outside before Android.

Oh, please! They all copy each other. This is nothing new....Where do you think Androids S-Voice came from? **cough** Siri **cough**

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I go with an iPhone. Android copied EVERYTHING from Apple. Apple was the first cell phone ever and Android copied everything that Apple has, even the phone keypad, which Apple created. Also, Apple was the first to have a map. Nobody ever had a map before Apple, nobody. People were constantly lost until Apple gave them the ability to find their way. And because Apple was the first to have a weather widget, nobody knew what the weather was like outside before Apple.

.....there - i fixed the post for ya:p

(all in good fun!)

Oh, please! They all copy each other. This is nothing new....Where do you think Androids S-Voice came from? **cough** Siri **cough**

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

if i had to guess, i'd say ctt's post was a spoof :p LOL

but i agree Rose, each platform 'borrows' ideas from another and refines it a bit so its not identical for the most part.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73