Apple Store vs Verizon Insurance? Help...

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey peeps... So my mom had a pretty bad trip and fall. She was helping my aunt move a table and thought she cleared the edge of the pool and fell into the deep end of the pool. A weird freak accident... falling backwards into the pool, her foot got caught in the corner with all her weight pulling down on her ankle. In the process of doing that she fractured her tibia and fibula by her ankle. She also, scared the crap out of everyone because my mom never learned how to swim.

So, you probably guessed where this is leading to. She fell in with her iPhone. The iPhone wasn't really the first thing on our minds obvisously, but once we fished her out, I gave it to my son to try to dry it as much as possible. We tried to salvage it by using the rice method but still no luck. It's been 3 Days and it looked like it worked but it was only on for 30 seconds and then flashed the temperature warning and stays with that until the battery dies.

This is what I was thinking: 1) take my mom to the apple store, be straight up honest with them, and see if they can just replace it for her since she has only had it two months. OR 2) just report it "lost" to Verizon and have them send her a replacement.

What are people experiences with the Apple store with these type of scenarios? Are they pretty forgiving to cripple old ladies (just kidding mom)? If we go to the Apple store will this jeopardize our chances with Verizon? What would be the best way to handle this?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would just be honest let your mom bring it in and maybe they will have sympathy but they might charge 199 to replace it ..

The verizion method you would have to have a police report to prove it was lost or stolen ..
Was the phone in the sun when u got the temp message ? Or still warm at all ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The verizion method you would have to have a police report to prove it was lost or stolen ..

If the OP has Verizon's Asurion insurance, all they need to do is go to phoneclaim.com/verizon and file the claim, and pay the deductible with credit card and a replacement phone will be overnight shipped. - they'll want the bad phone back, and send a postage-paid envelope for doing that.

Reactions: iamjose

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If the OP has Verizon's Asurion insurance, all they need to do is go to phoneclaim.com/verizon and file the claim, and pay the deductible with credit card and a replacement phone will be overnight shipped. - they'll want the bad phone back, and send a postage-paid envelope for doing that.

How can they send the phone back if it's "lost" lol

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Apple stores haven't been as forgiving as they once were. You can stop by and they will say $150, if you report it damaged with VZW insurance, no need to say 'stolen' as its the same but will be more of a pain, they will say $169 or $199 depending on your model. To be honest, people expecting a one time courtesy for nothing to do with a company is ridiculous to do without charge.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would just be honest let your mom bring it in and maybe they will have sympathy but they might charge 199 to replace it ..

Was the phone in the sun when u got the temp message ? Or still warm at all ?

Yeah... I'd have to drive my mom since she is all gimpy with her cast. The phone was never in the sun, once I dried it I put in the bag of rice. I got the temp warning once I plugged it in and thought it came back to life. It doesn't feel warm at all to the touch.

Apple stores haven't been as forgiving as they once were. You can stop by and they will say $150, if you report it damaged with VZW insurance, no need to say 'stolen' as its the same but will be more of a pain, they will say $169 or $199 depending on your model. To be honest, people expecting a one time courtesy for nothing to do with a company is ridiculous to do without charge.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

I don't know if it is ridiculous to give it a try... I guess the key word there is "expecting". I'm not expecting them to do it. If they do that would be awesome if not then there isn't much we can do, after all it was an accident.

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can she purchase the Applecare+ for $99 and then pay the deductible of $49 at the Apple store or did she have to do that at the time of purchase? I thought I remember reading somewhere you could buy it any time between the time of purchase all the way up to the end of the 1 yr manufactures warranty.... Does anyone know?

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
As a two wk old user I have been told that I have 30 days from date of purchase to add iCare. Then I must make a genius bar appt so that the phone can be inspected prior to Apple approving the addition of the plan.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can she purchase the Applecare+ for $99 and then pay the deductible of $49 at the Apple store or did she have to do that at the time of purchase? I thought I remember reading somewhere you could buy it any time between the time of purchase all the way up to the end of the 1 yr manufactures warranty.... Does anyone know?

That was the old "Apple Care". The new "AppleCare+" must be added within the first 30 days. Now you either have to go through Asurion or go to an Apple store and pay the $199 for an Out Of Warranty replacement.

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That was the old "Apple Care". The new "AppleCare+" must be added within the first 30 days. Now you either have to go through Asurion or go to an Apple store and pay the $199 for an Out Of Warranty replacement.

Well today we went to the Apple store... Just told them exactly what happen and the guy at the Genius Bar was really cool. He said he wanted to just exchange the phone for her but they have been super strict on that lately, he went to talk to his manager and they offered my mom to discount the price of the Out of Warranty to $99. Which is really cool... Thanks guys for your feedback.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well today we went to the Apple store... Just told them exactly what happen and the guy at the Genius Bar was really cool. He said he wanted to just exchange the phone for her but they have been super strict on that lately, he went to talk to his manager and they offered my mom to discount the price of the Out of Warranty to $99. Which is really cool... Thanks guys for your feedback.

I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for your mom, and hope her leg heals quickly. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2