kindergarten

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
So my 5 yr old made it past Kindergarten and graduated last night. I was so proud. And i'm telling you there's nothing like it. The goosebumps I had when she came out with her robe on, accepted awards, and then finally her diploma. Wow..

But i was curious for those with kids, did your kindergarten give out grades (A-F) each quarter? I was surprised during the year to see that when some i talked to didn't have that all with their kids. And the awards part of the graduation took us (and i think my daughter as well) by surprise. Heck, i didn't know they had awards. They called her name like 8 times as she won overall academic, about every category (numbers, spelling, phonics, reading) but writing (they called about 2-3 students per subject), only one with perfect attendance, honor roll, and so on.

All i can say again is wow. My daughter had this look on her face like "this is crazy." But as proud as i was, i saw some of the other kids not having the best time, like "this isn't fair..i didn't win anything." As well as murmurs from parents. And yeah, this is Kindergarten. I'm not sure it was fair for them either. (All did get reading certificates though so every student was called at least once).

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't have kids but I know that didn't happen to me in Kindergarten. There were no grades and it was pretty much a decision between the teachers and the kids parents if the kid was prepared to go to the next grade.

The awards sound cute for the ones who got them but they really wanted to go in that direction with such a young age group there should have been some sort of award for everyone.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My daughter graduates in June so I'll have to see but I know there is no letter grades but not sure about other awards I know she has already been told she has met everything to go to 1st grade so we will see ..

I see your point how some kids could become upset or left out thou.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't have kids but I know that didn't happen to me in Kindergarten. There were no grades and it was pretty much a decision between the teachers and the kids parents if the kid was prepared to go to the next grade.

The awards sound cute for the ones who got them but they really wanted to go in that direction with such a young age group there should have been some sort of award for everyone.

I love your bio lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get grades some 27 years ago when I was in kindergarten. We got U for unsatisfactory, N for needs work, S for satisfactory and E for excellent. That was about as far as grades went. We also got smiley faces and stickers. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I have no recollection of the time I spent in Kindergarten and I don't think my two oldest kids were given letter grades during their time in kindergarten either. Yet, my youngest will be graduating in a couple of weeks and he has received letter grades for his kindergarten work. I thought it was all coloring, playing and getting along with other kids, but he has been given word tests, math and reading. By the way, my kids are ages 22, 16 & 6. My 6 started school late due to his September birthday and I'm still ticked about that, but that's for another discussion. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get grades some 27 years ago when I was in kindergarten. We got U for unsatisfactory, N for needs work, S for satisfactory and E for excellent. That was about as far as grades went. We also got smiley faces and stickers. :)

Same here, Laura. Only I got more U's and hardly any smiley faces or stickers. I never liked school, even back then, lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro