Social media - Facebook, Twitter, etc...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
About six months ago or so, I closed my Facebook account. I couldn't stand the ads, and all those annoying changes to Facebook; especially security changes...

Three weeks ago or so, I paused posting to Twitter. Just because, taking a sabbatical ;)

But, during these two experiments I've noticed that socially we as humans have really changed. We don't check-in with each other like we did BEFORE Facebook & Twitter.

Is this what life on the social front has turned into, Facebook & Twitter? Whatever happened to sending a text message to a friend to see how they are going etc?

Just curious...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see or feel much of a difference between texting/facebook/twitter?but people definitely don't call each other like they did twenty years ago.

But technology is different for each generation...I grew up without cell phones or the Internet, so when I was young you had to actually call a person to check in with them?AND they had to be at home when you called. My wife came of age in the cell era, and texts far more than she calls. Kids now might use twitter/tumblr/fb/etc. to keep up with each other but they still keep up.

The really interesting thing to me is how all that can actually BE the social interaction now. In other words, people aren't always together when they're hanging out these days.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Or Heaven forbid an actual phone call or even a face to face at lunch!! Oh the Horror!! :))

(I know what yo mean Navi! Right there with ya!)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But that does not apply to me. I still 'call' and visit my friends and some of my relatives. We actually take the time to have breakfast or lunch or check out a movie and stuff like that. Generally speaking, however, you're on point with your assessment, Navi. By the way, I , too, took a break from tweeting and although I still tweet, I don't do so as frequently as I used to.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Depends on the friends. I have a lot of friends I met online some way or another (BBS, IRC, Twitter, etc.) and we don't talk that often. We email a lot. We email, text, or even tweet to get together. My best friend texts me to get together - he doesn't like talking on the phone - but we can then spend an hour talking about nothing as long as we have coffee in our hands.

I talk to my mother on the phone every day. Old habit. My father will Skype me if he wants to talk.

Did I mention I met my 2nd husband online? We text and email, too.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...all very good points. I guess for people like me that have moved from one country to another, social media is a rather cheap way to keep in touch with family and friends.

I guess my real fear is, in years to come, social media will more than take over our lives. Think about it, our smartphones almost already do that, no? :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...all very good points. I guess for people like me that have moved from one country to another, social media is a rather cheap way to keep in touch with family and friends.

I guess my real fear is, in years to come, social media will more than take over our lives. Think about it, our smartphones almost already do that, no? :)

It's like everything else that is alleged to make our lives easier, it takes away the human element. ... Also, it's a generational thing. As a teenager, my family had one phone with a cord that could straight across town. I spent hours talking to my girlfriends and friends. Today's teenagers have their own phones and hate to talk on it, but will spend hours on end texting. Go figure.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

MunchkinD13

Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ah ha! I knew someone was missing on Twitter and for some reason I could not figure it out for the life of me. I was thinking about it the other day and drawing a blank. Now I know it was you.

Related to your post though, I have friends that live far away and sometimes it's nice to feel like a part of their lives even though you are so far away. Social media is great for this. I used to use email but then spam and ads started to blog that down so much emails started getting lost. Some of my friends and family text, not all, but they all use social media. Yeah it seems to be taking over our lives but if you don't have a life outside of tv anyways then does it really matter?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
LOL - a familiar face\userID ;)

I hope all is well with you...

I will say this, the iPhone has good battery life already, but you'd be surprised at the battery life when not using social media. I've gone almost four days on one charge :)

Ah ha! I knew someone was missing on Twitter and for some reason I could not figure it out for the life of me. I was thinking about it the other day and drawing a blank. Now I know it was you.

Related to your post though, I have friends that live far away and sometimes it's nice to feel like a part of their lives even though you are so far away. Social media is great for this. I used to use email but then spam and ads started to blog that down so much emails started getting lost. Some of my friends and family text, not all, but they all use social media. Yeah it seems to be taking over our lives but if you don't have a life outside of tv anyways then does it really matter?

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Like anything new, there are positives and negatives.
I think at this point in time, in 2012, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

With a few keystrokes and a click of a button I can share a photo or a thought with my Aunt in California, Uncle in Michigan, and cousin in Colorado.

I am at school away from my hometown 9 months out of the year and if I want to check in with my brothers back home I can send them a tweet just to say hey or tell them something I did today.

As far as in person interactions go...my friends and I are pretty good with planning in person activities where our phones are in our pockets and we are interacting with one another.
I have seen, in social situations, phones "suck people in" to the point of it not even mattering if they were physically in the room with us or not, their brain and personality is not there!

This, to your point, is an example of a negative.
We will see where things go from here but with the money companies like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. make....social media is here to stay.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)... if I want to check in with my brothers back home I can send them a tweet just to say hey or tell them something I did today....(snipped)...
Nice, but for me, I'd send an SMS/iMessage for that if I didn't feel like calling because I would consider that somewhat a private matter. Then again, I guess a DM would suffice.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I do think it is funny how we as humans have changed in the past 20-30 years. I remember when I started being aware of, and using email, back in 95'...

Oh those were the days :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do think it is funny how we as humans have changed in the past 20-30 years. I remember when I started being aware of, and using email, back in 95'...

Oh those were the days :)
Heck, I can go back to 1989 or '90 to the days of CompuServe, Prodigy, Genie and AOL. My first email service was via CompuServe.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
OMGoodness, I remember my first CompuServe account. I use to be online with that thing chatting to people, total flipping strangers all hours of the night...

Okay stop now, we're showing our age; these youngsters don't even know what CompuServe was\is, they only know AOL! - LMAO

Heck, I can go back to 1989 or '90 to the days of CompuServe, Prodigy, Genie and AOL. My first email service was via CompuServe.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OMGoodness, I remember my first CompuServe account. I use to be online with that thing chatting to people, total flipping strangers all hours of the night...

Okay stop now, we're showing our age; these youngsters don't even know what CompuServe was\is, they only know AOL! - LMAO

(laughing)...no doubt about it!

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

AOL Instant Messenger was the first for me.

At first, when our family had AOL dial-up, I remember "AOL" was a full-screen program of sorts, and Messenger was built into that with your Buddy List appearing on the side.
After that came the stand-alone AIM client with separate Buddy List, Away Messages, Profiles, oh man that brings back memories.

I remember going on oldversion.com to download some of the older AIM versions when I didn't like the updates...that must be why I'm programmed to not like any Facebook update for at least two weeks :)

Stvy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It has made more people socially awkward and seems more and more people are insecure. People can rattle on and on via text nowadays. See them in person they have their head tucked down between their shoulders and can't even put a sentence together. So many more people are lacking real social skills and it's pretty damn sad. I'm the type of person that if there is an issue or problem I like to resolve it in person. Not get in a text war.

Even in business type situations too. Make a phone call to find something out/ask a question etc. that would take no longer than 30 seconds. They don't answer but you send them an email they respond right away and would rather go back and forth that way for 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It has made more people socially awkward and seems more and more people are insecure. People can rattle on and on via text nowadays. See them in person they have their head tucked down between their shoulders and can't even put a sentence together. So many more people are lacking real social skills and it's pretty damn sad. I'm the type of person that if there is an issue or problem I like to resolve it in person. Not get in a text war.

Even in business type situations too. Make a phone call to find something out/ask a question etc. that would take no longer than 30 seconds. They don't answer but you send them an email they respond right away and would rather go back and forth that way for 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point, but on the flip side, social networking is a Blessing for the people who lack person-to-person social skills. In regard to work, especially in government, people use texting & email to CYA, just in case. At least that's how it was when I worked in government.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

I remember CompuServe and Netscape Navigator, Prodigy, and the dreaded AOL. I'm 36 tho, so I grew up as a teen around those things/services. Back before Google was, um, Google. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I remember CompuServe and Netscape Navigator, Prodigy, and the dreaded AOL. I'm 36 tho, so I grew up as a teen around those things/services. Back before Google was, um, Google. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

I hear ya. Heck, by today's standards, you're old...lol...and being that I will be 49 in June, I'm ancient;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2