Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default Is Sonos worth it?

I got the chance to play with a single Sonos speaker last year, and though it was kind of fun, it's a little gimmicky, and not particularly useful unless you have a bigger house and multiple speakers set up. Seeing as the basic model runs $399, you're looking at $800 just to cover two rooms, plus another $10/month if you want to have a decent music service. That sounds a little steep for me, but maybe some of you guys have had a go with the system and have found it worth the investment. Oh, and do the speakers support regular ol' stereo Bluetooth?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't see the point in it. I just use an airport extreme ($100) and my Polk Audio ($$$) and Airplay to wirelessly play music. If you want music in another room then buy airport express (>$80) and airplay it for free as long as your second music source or speaker has an aux in (which mostly everything today does. More control, better quality speaker too. Plus if you have a large this will make your wifi network bigger
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by jpena53 View Post
    I don't see the point in it. I just use an airport extreme ($100) and my Polk Audio ($$$) and Airplay to wirelessly play music. If you want music in another room then buy airport express (>$80) and airplay it for free as long as your second music source or speaker has an aux in (which mostly everything today does. More control, better quality speaker too. Plus if you have a large this will make your wifi network bigger
    I agree wholeheartedly. I have an airport express and a set of Logitech amplified computer speakers that I set up on the patio and stream music to...at Christmas time, I move everything to the front of the house and stream Christmas music... portable and a whole lot cheaper than the Sonos system - for basically the same thing... (Who said Apple overcharges for everything?)
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think it depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to have the ability to have multi zones that operate independently, then Sonos is relatively cheap (compared to other multi room control systems ie Crestron, Nuvo or Elan) If you just want to stream music from your computer than yes Sonos is overkill.
    We use Sonos steered with iPhones and iPads. We have a large house and want the ability to do different things in each room at the same time.

Just wanted to chime in a bit. In case you are wondering, we own a Home Theater, Audio Video Company .

Just my 2 cents .

http://www.iHouse.se

Scarlet

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Is Sonos worth it?

I love my Sonos system. You're not using up your phone battery and the flexibility is great - I can control it whether I'm on the iPhone, Nexus 7, Mac or PC. And don't underestimate how great it is to walk from the living room to the bedroom and have the music keep playing. It's true though that you do need at least two zones for it to really shine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

Default Re: Is Sonos worth it?

i dont believe sonos are worth it.. because why spend so much
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Is Sonos worth it?

Best investment I've ever made. I listen to my Sonos more than anything else. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2