Is Sonos worth it?

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the chance to play with a single Sonos speaker last year, and though it was kind of fun, it's a little gimmicky, and not particularly useful unless you have a bigger house and multiple speakers set up. Seeing as the basic model runs $399, you're looking at $800 just to cover two rooms, plus another $10/month if you want to have a decent music service. That sounds a little steep for me, but maybe some of you guys have had a go with the system and have found it worth the investment. Oh, and do the speakers support regular ol' stereo Bluetooth?

jpena53

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the point in it. I just use an airport extreme ($100) and my Polk Audio ($$$) and Airplay to wirelessly play music. If you want music in another room then buy airport express (>$80) and airplay it for free as long as your second music source or speaker has an aux in (which mostly everything today does. More control, better quality speaker too. Plus if you have a large this will make your wifi network bigger

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the point in it. I just use an airport extreme ($100) and my Polk Audio ($$$) and Airplay to wirelessly play music. If you want music in another room then buy airport express (>$80) and airplay it for free as long as your second music source or speaker has an aux in (which mostly everything today does. More control, better quality speaker too. Plus if you have a large this will make your wifi network bigger

I agree wholeheartedly. I have an airport express and a set of Logitech amplified computer speakers that I set up on the patio and stream music to...at Christmas time, I move everything to the front of the house and stream Christmas music... portable and a whole lot cheaper than the Sonos system - for basically the same thing... (Who said Apple overcharges for everything?) :)

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to have the ability to have multi zones that operate independently, then Sonos is relatively cheap (compared to other multi room control systems ie Crestron, Nuvo or Elan) If you just want to stream music from your computer than yes Sonos is overkill.
We use Sonos steered with iPhones and iPads. We have a large house and want the ability to do different things in each room at the same time.

Just wanted to chime in a bit. In case you are wondering, we own a Home Theater, Audio Video Company ;).

Just my 2 cents :).

http://www.iHouse.se

Scarlet

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

lfeuln

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I love my Sonos system. You're not using up your phone battery and the flexibility is great - I can control it whether I'm on the iPhone, Nexus 7, Mac or PC. And don't underestimate how great it is to walk from the living room to the bedroom and have the music keep playing. It's true though that you do need at least two zones for it to really shine.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Best investment I've ever made. I listen to my Sonos more than anything else. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73