Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    ruger141's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

    Question Will Apple Loosen Up now?

    I came from Blackberry and then Android so I am not too clued in to the politics with Apple. Do you guys think that Apple's infamous Constraint on things and refusal to allow certain things will change now without Steve? Was he even the main reason Apple is this way? This is basically the only reason I dont like Apple. Things like not being able to change the keyboard or install Swype Keyboard, no widgets, far less customization than other phones etc all are a huge dent to what would otherwise be an awesome phone/iPad what have you? Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    No, I doubt very highly that Apple well ever loosen up any time in the near future. Jailbreak will still be needed for customization. Btw, Swype is just one of the many tweaks of a jailbroken iPhone. I am using it now on my 4S to post this reply.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    ruger141's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks Rose, thats a shame, they dont have to go all out but at least give the consumer a little more responsibility to manage their own device that they spent an arm and a leg to get lol.
  4. #4  
    leharris22's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    411 Posts

    Default

    I hope not. The integration has really worked for the company. I love how my devices sync and are so integrated.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
  5. #5  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    not a chance in hell T. Cook is getting paid a gazillion dollars to loosen up
  6. #6  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,477 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    Some of us don't want our iPhone's to be android phones...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Totalimmortal363 likes this.
  7. #7  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    566 Posts

    Default

    The Apple model is wildly successful. Why would they make dramatic changes?
  8. #8  
    saynt j's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

    Default

    Apple's success comes from their tailoring their product the the mean of their customer base. With that said, where is the problem with them allowing the installation of a third party SMS app, increased security with options to lock folders, or even a more intuitive keyboard. The fact that the os is written for everyone and everyone can use it means that when anyone picks up your phone, they can use it. There's the other edge of the sword.
    No one cares what phones/computers/tablets you are using, or in which order you got them.... so stop listing.
  9. #9  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Some of us don't want our iPhone's to be android phones...
    While I do not want my phone to be Android, I do want the ability to customize it to my liking given that it does have the capability and I paid for it.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Thanked by:
    ruger141 (02-14-2012)
  10. #10  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,477 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    What customizing feature do you want on your iPhone that you can't do with a jailbreak in some way?

    To be honest, every time one of these threads pop up, i always get a laugh out of the things people want their iPhone to do that it "doesn't", only to realize that, in fact, it is possible to have many (dare i say MOST) of those things on the iPhone.

    People that complain about the inability to customize an iPhone have obviously never really delved deep into jail breaking.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  11. #11  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    What customizing feature do you want on your iPhone that you can't do with a jailbreak in some way?

    To be honest, every time one of these threads pop up, i always get a laugh out of the things people want their iPhone to do that it "doesn't", only to realize that, in fact, it is possible to have many (dare i say MOST) of those things on the iPhone.

    People that complain about the inability to customize an iPhone have obviously never really delved deep into jail breaking.
    I now have 43 tweaks on my iPhone that were not posable prior to jailbreaking it. From reading your post here I am not sure that you aren't really agreeing me here. I do complain about the inability to customize stock iOS, however, once JB, the possibilities are endless. Everyday I find another tweak that makes my iPhone more likable.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  12. #12  
    saynt j's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

    Default

    For those that cannot see past what Apple has dangled in front of them as being the best it can ever get just because they say so, and for those (like me) that may just never be satisfied and are looking to customize further.....

    If more permissions were to be allowed in the next iteration of iOS, and that allows more tweaks, themes, security, and broadens the scope of apps' abilities; then those that want to take advantage of having the jail cell widened a little bit can, while the others that have become content to singing in their cages don't have to enable these *new* *revolutionary* *reinventing* features.
  13. #13  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,477 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    ^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  14. #14  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    ^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.
    Sean, are you referring to the poster above, because I have no complaints about a jailbroken iPhone, only one that is stock.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  15. #15  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    The more you open it up, the more chances of introducing instabilities.
  16. #16  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The more you open it up, the more chances of introducing instabilities.
    No offense, but this sounds like something an Apple employee would say.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 02-12-2012 at 06:27 AM.
  17. #17  
    Cleveland's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,353 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,979 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised to see a theme store one day - if they can regulate it and make a buck off of it - I wouldn't be surprised
    Cleveland
    (GO BROWNS )



    Quote from Jellotime91
    And, I'm not trying to push my preference on others, so I've got no reason to go and join an android forum to talk about how awesome iPhone is. That's like going to a KKK meeting and trying to show people the latest queen latifah movie...
  18. #18  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Alli, I thought you're a teacher. No offense, but this sounds like something an Apple employee would say.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    I'm not sure what my profession has to do with it. How many operating systems have you used in the past? If you've used more than two, then you know that the more you mess with them, the more trouble you can have.

    The possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nil. You wouldn't believe how many bricked Treos I saw back in the day, when people did custom ROMs.
  19. #19  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I'm not sure what my profession has to do with it. How many operating systems have you used in the past? If you've used more than two, then you know that the more you mess with them, the more trouble you can have.

    The possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nil. You wouldn't believe how many bricked Treos I saw back in the day, when people did custom ROMs.
    I meant it as a joke with the last part of my post. However, since it was poorly written I deleted that part of the post....Anyhow, I have had a total of 4 OS starting with Windows, Blackberry, iOS, and Android. Android being the most customizable.... You say the possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nill, so what instabilities should one be worried about in regards to jailbreaking?

    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 02-12-2012 at 07:05 AM.
  20. #20  
    saynt j's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    ^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.
    I did jailbreak, and some of the apps that I use everyday wouldn't work because they detected "a modified version of the operating system." - that, and my battery would drain like there was a hole drilled in it. If you have anything to show me to stop the battery drain, I may just jailbreak again.

    I gave 3 examples of features that can be included in stock iOS. The irony of Apple is that they use buzzwords like what I starred off (*revolutionary*, *new*) when they are a little behind in the game.

    The amount of permissions that Android allows may be too many, but that OS doesn't allow the user to take a screenshot without rooting, where Apple does. Android has had numerous scams and malicious apps in the Market, which is where I can see Apple being so meager on their permissions list. But when you pick up a quality Android phone and take the time to make it yours.... the next time you pick it up, you know it's yours. Your shortcuts, folders (locked or not), customized screen layout (which is a completely benign thing that Apple does not allow you to do), widgets for quick information (news, memory, battery status) **and yes I know about the Notification Center, SeanHRCC, but what other widgets can you place there without JB?**, are all relatively non invasive ways that Apple can keep their phones secure and allow CREATIVITY (ooh, another Apple buzzword) in their users.

    Opening up more permissions to apps for iOS isn't paving the way to an iBrick, per se. The way Apple certifies which apps are available in the Store and the lack of any alternatives to install an iOS app will keep the reigns taught enough that things shouldn't get too far away from control. I'm not asking for it to be Open Source. Christ knows that Apple will never share anything without compensation. I'm asking for some more end-user options to keep the stability of iOS where it is, and allow for some more customization and personalization beyond wallpaper and which Siri voice I select.
  21. #21  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    ^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.
    Here's the deal, Sean. Look at the part of your sentence that says "after it has been jailbroken". That's where the problem lies. All jail breaking, rooting, etc., comes with inherent risks. Download an app from some repo, and it may not work properly. So now you delete it, and guess what, some residue of that bad or corrupted app still remains in the phone. If customizing is important to someone, as it is to me, then a stock (high end) Android phone, beats a jailbroken iPhone any day. The bottom line is this...YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO JAILBREAK, ROOT YOUR PHONE, TO GET IT TO LOOK LIKE YOU WANT IT TO. End of story!
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  22. #22  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,477 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    I understand your point...but that wasn't my point. My point was that people pretend like the iPhone just plain and simply isn't capable of higher end customizing, period. This is simply not true. With a jailbreak you can make your iPhone look and perform however you want it to, at an almost unlimited frequency.

    Do i agree that the iPhone needs some native customizing options? Absolutely! It would be pretty awesome to do so with the ease people have come to expect from an Apple product...but that wasn't what i was debating, i was debating the ability to do so period, which is fully there for whoever wants it.

    SayntJ...again, you're referring back to a non-jailbroken state, and I'm not here to argue that because that is a HUGE can of worms that really is kind of moot because of how easy it is to jailbreak an iPhone and how there are essentially no draw backs to doing so since the phone itself can be reverted back to a non-jailbroken state and no one would be the wiser.

    Also, the battery life issue...imagine having no control over said terrible battery life. That is the life of most Android phone users, since so many of those features are native, the battery life at its best is simply atrocious. Then the android users root their phones...(the mirror of jail breaking on the other side of the fence), and their battery life becomes almost laughable. The iPhone, even jailbroken and customized to the heavens turns in a pretty respectable power consumption rate when compared to a like phone from the other brands (with the exception of the Windows phones, which i have read have pretty amazing battery lives).
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 02-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  23. #23  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I understand your point...but that wasn't my point. My point was that people pretend like the iPhone just plain and simply isn't capable of higher end customizing, period. This is simply not true. With a jailbreak you can make your iPhone look and perform however you want it to, at an almost unlimited frequency.

    Do i agree that the iPhone needs some native customizing options? Absolutely! It would be pretty awesome to do so with the ease people have come to expect from an Apple product...but that wasn't what i was debating, i was debating the ability to do so period, which is fully there for whoever wants it.

    SayntJ...again, you're referring back to a non-jailbroken state, and I'm not here to argue that because that is a HUGE can of worms that really is kind of moot because of how easy it is to jailbreak an iPhone and how there are essentially no draw backs to doing so since the phone itself can be reverted back to a non-jailbroken state and no one would be the wiser.

    Also, the battery life issue...imagine having no control over said terrible battery life. That is the life of most Android phone users, since so many of those features are native, the battery life at its best is simply atrocious. Then the android users root their phones...(the mirror of jail breaking on the other side of the fence), and their battery life becomes almost laughable. The iPhone, even jailbroken and customized to the heavens turns in a pretty respectable power consumption rate when compared to a like phone from the other brands (with the exception of the Windows phones, which i have read have pretty amazing battery lives).
    You're right that the iPhone is highly customizable (with a jailbreak), but at what price? O.K., if it gets screwed up, you can restore it and try again, but who wants to have to go through that BS. I've been there, and done that, but never again. Now, i can't speak for anybody else's battery life. Androids have a bad reputation in that department, and it's probably justified. I've had my Vivid for only three days, and at the end of each day my battery is at about 40%. An overnight charge, and i'm good to go. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just speaking my personal opinion.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  24. #24  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post

    You're right that the iPhone is highly customizable (with a jailbreak), but at what price? O.K., if it gets screwed up, you can restore it and try again, but who wants to have to go through that BS. I've been there, and done that, but never again. Now, i can't speak for anybody else's battery life. Androids have a bad reputation in that department, and it's probably justified. I've had my Vivid for only three days, and at the end of each day my battery is at about 40%. An overnight charge, and i'm good to go. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just speaking my personal opinion.
    Meh, I have never had a messed up JB that had to be restored due to problems, ymmv.... Is your Vivid running Androids latest ICS, or are you still waiting for it like so many other Android devices? See, that is one of the nice things about Apple that some peeps forget about. At the end of our day, us iPhone users know that we have the most current iOS version that our devices will support.... Just my cents.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  25. #25  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Meh, I have never had a messed up JB that had to be restored due to problems, ymmv.... Is your Vivid running Androids latest ICS, or are you still waiting for it like so many other Android devices? See, that is one of the nice things about Apple that some peeps forget about. At the end of our day, us iPhone users know that we have the most current iOS version that our devices will support.... Just my cents.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Waiting on my Ice Cream Sandwich, but having fun with my Vivid. Very fast and smooth, and the customizing is outrageous. Don't have to root, to get what i need. Thanks for asking, Rosie.Slainte!
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions