Will Apple Loosen Up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from Blackberry and then Android so I am not too clued in to the politics with Apple. Do you guys think that Apple's infamous Constraint on things and refusal to allow certain things will change now without Steve? Was he even the main reason Apple is this way? This is basically the only reason I dont like Apple. Things like not being able to change the keyboard or install Swype Keyboard, no widgets, far less customization than other phones etc all are a huge dent to what would otherwise be an awesome phone/iPad what have you? Thoughts?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, I doubt very highly that Apple well ever loosen up any time in the near future. Jailbreak will still be needed for customization. Btw, Swype is just one of the many tweaks of a jailbroken iPhone. I am using it now on my 4S to post this reply.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rose, thats a shame, they dont have to go all out but at least give the consumer a little more responsibility to manage their own device that they spent an arm and a leg to get lol.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple's success comes from their tailoring their product the the mean of their customer base. With that said, where is the problem with them allowing the installation of a third party SMS app, increased security with options to lock folders, or even a more intuitive keyboard. The fact that the os is written for everyone and everyone can use it means that when anyone picks up your phone, they can use it. There's the other edge of the sword.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What customizing feature do you want on your iPhone that you can't do with a jailbreak in some way?

To be honest, every time one of these threads pop up, i always get a laugh out of the things people want their iPhone to do that it "doesn't", only to realize that, in fact, it is possible to have many (dare i say MOST) of those things on the iPhone.

People that complain about the inability to customize an iPhone have obviously never really delved deep into jail breaking.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What customizing feature do you want on your iPhone that you can't do with a jailbreak in some way?

To be honest, every time one of these threads pop up, i always get a laugh out of the things people want their iPhone to do that it "doesn't", only to realize that, in fact, it is possible to have many (dare i say MOST) of those things on the iPhone.

People that complain about the inability to customize an iPhone have obviously never really delved deep into jail breaking.

I now have 43 tweaks on my iPhone that were not posable prior to jailbreaking it. From reading your post here I am not sure that you aren't really agreeing me here. I do complain about the inability to customize stock iOS, however, once JB, the possibilities are endless. Everyday I find another tweak that makes my iPhone more likable.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
For those that cannot see past what Apple has dangled in front of them as being the best it can ever get just because they say so, and for those (like me) that may just never be satisfied and are looking to customize further.....

If more permissions were to be allowed in the next iteration of iOS, and that allows more tweaks, themes, security, and broadens the scope of apps' abilities; then those that want to take advantage of having the jail cell widened a little bit can, while the others that have become content to singing in their cages don't have to enable these *new* *revolutionary* *reinventing* features.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.

Sean, are you referring to the poster above, because I have no complaints about a jailbroken iPhone, only one that is stock.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see a theme store one day - if they can regulate it and make a buck off of it - I wouldn't be surprised

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Alli, I thought you're a teacher. No offense, but this sounds like something an Apple employee would say. :D

I'm not sure what my profession has to do with it. How many operating systems have you used in the past? If you've used more than two, then you know that the more you mess with them, the more trouble you can have.

The possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nil. You wouldn't believe how many bricked Treos I saw back in the day, when people did custom ROMs.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what my profession has to do with it. How many operating systems have you used in the past? If you've used more than two, then you know that the more you mess with them, the more trouble you can have.

The possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nil. You wouldn't believe how many bricked Treos I saw back in the day, when people did custom ROMs.

I meant it as a joke with the last part of my post. However, since it was poorly written I deleted that part of the post....Anyhow, I have had a total of 4 OS starting with Windows, Blackberry, iOS, and Android. Android being the most customizable.... You say the possibilities of bricking an iPhone are almost nill, so what instabilities should one be worried about in regards to jailbreaking?

Last edited:

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I did jailbreak, and some of the apps that I use everyday wouldn't work because they detected "a modified version of the operating system." - that, and my battery would drain like there was a hole drilled in it. If you have anything to show me to stop the battery drain, I may just jailbreak again.

I gave 3 examples of features that can be included in stock iOS. The irony of Apple is that they use buzzwords like what I starred off (*revolutionary*, *new*) when they are a little behind in the game.

The amount of permissions that Android allows may be too many, but that OS doesn't allow the user to take a screenshot without rooting, where Apple does. Android has had numerous scams and malicious apps in the Market, which is where I can see Apple being so meager on their permissions list. But when you pick up a quality Android phone and take the time to make it yours.... the next time you pick it up, you know it's yours. Your shortcuts, folders (locked or not), customized screen layout (which is a completely benign thing that Apple does not allow you to do), widgets for quick information (news, memory, battery status) **and yes I know about the Notification Center, SeanHRCC, but what other widgets can you place there without JB?**, are all relatively non invasive ways that Apple can keep their phones secure and allow CREATIVITY (ooh, another Apple buzzword) in their users.

Opening up more permissions to apps for iOS isn't paving the way to an iBrick, per se. The way Apple certifies which apps are available in the Store and the lack of any alternatives to install an iOS app will keep the reigns taught enough that things shouldn't get too far away from control. I'm not asking for it to be Open Source. Christ knows that Apple will never share anything without compensation. I'm asking for some more end-user options to keep the stability of iOS where it is, and allow for some more customization and personalization beyond wallpaper and which Siri voice I select.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711