Will Apple Loosen Up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My "android device" comment was in relation to customizing the home screen, which seems to be the popular "need" from so many people...which is also why i made the battery life comments since that goes hand in hand with all those fancy animated graphics people so desperately want on their iPhones. And honestly, i have no problem with your want to have those things...jailbreak your iPhone and put them on their and enjoy your terrible battery life!

This becomes increasingly frustrating, as it's been asked a thousand times without any REAL answer...but WHAT customizations do you want on the iPhone that you can't do now? And i don't want to hear your sob stories about jail breaking...i want an honest to god answer, what customizations do you want to be able to do that you cannot do right now (native or jailbroken)?

Put some effort into this before you complain about it folks...honestly, all your customization dreams are a jailbreak away.

My previous post was in regard to people fearing that opening the iPhone up to numerous customizations will somehow transform it into an Android device and I stick by my comments. Furthermore for the people who correctly state that Apple outsells the competition, I would argue that brand recognition & image are two of its top selling points and does not necessarily mean that it's users do not want more control of the device's settings.

Just Me, D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What can android do that iOS cannot?

I don't understand.

For starters: widgets, custom home launchers, quick setting toggles that can be changed from any screen with a swipe of the notification center, LTE, Swype, ability to move icons anywhere on the screen, download apps and more from the desktop browser, changeable keyboard, built in navigation app with turn by turn voice directions, removable storage and battery, flash.... There are more, these were just off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

msAdele

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I came from Blackberry and then Android so I am not too clued in to the politics with Apple. Do you guys think that Apple's infamous Constraint on things and refusal to allow certain things will change now without Steve? Was he even the main reason Apple is this way? This is basically the only reason I dont like Apple. Things like not being able to change the keyboard or install Swype Keyboard, no widgets, far less customization than other phones etc all are a huge dent to what would otherwise be an awesome phone/iPad what have you? Thoughts?

I do not think that anything concerning the iPhone's fundamentals will change as a result of Steve Jobs' death. The company has long proven its brand worldwide, and it might cause a stir if they try to create a difference on their new offering. A number of additions will seem helpful, but creating a significant difference might not seem advantageous.

rlicim

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
No I don't think that they are willing to let the consumers in their web of secrecy and just let them takeover with what they want done on their devices. And even though Jobs is out, I don't think that they would be taking that route anytime soon. They are more of the sophisticated brand which is good for a lot of people, as it is evident with their maker acceptance rating.

busyoranges

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple will live a while. One shouldn't underestimate that giant. Giant's don't fall easily. There can be better or worse times but there's no point in panic and running around shouting 'we're sinking, oh no we're sinking'.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For starters: widgets, custom home launchers, quick setting toggles that can be changed from any screen with a swipe of the notification center, LTE, Swype, ability to move icons anywhere on the screen, download apps and more from the desktop browser, changeable keyboard, built in navigation app with turn by turn voice directions, removable storage and battery, flash.... There are more, these were just off the top of my head.

Holy irrelevant points batman!

We were talking customization and you go off about that stuff? This is why it is so pointless to debate this with some of you...CUSTOMIZATIONS! With the exception of the physical additions you listed (and LTE) i can do ALL of those things for free on the iPhone, including turn by turn voice directed navi.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Holy irrelevant points batman!

We were talking customization and you go off about that stuff? This is why it is so pointless to debate this with some of you...CUSTOMIZATIONS! With the exception of the physical additions you listed (and LTE) i can do ALL of those things for free on the iPhone, including turn by turn voice directed navi.

double-facepalm.jpg

Holy non comprehension skills batman! Did you even READ the post that I was replying to here before going off on a tangent? I thought not. OK, let me refresh your memory a little.

What can android do that iOS cannot?

I don't understand.

Where in THIS POST is the word "CUSTOMIZATIONS"? Well guess what, it's NOT there. That poster was talking about stock iOS, and no, you CAN'T do all of those things with stock iOS UNLESS you jailbreak. For starters you can't do turn by turn voice directed navi as you claim to here because the stock maps app isn't capable of that. As a matter of fact you can't do ANY of the non physical things that I mentioned with stock iOS. :rolleyes:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I always ask android users who bash iPhone to explain what there phone can physically do or accomplish that mine can't or that I can't find a way to do ... I never get a response I don't know why lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
OK, since no one else asked. What is the list of things that iOS can do that Android can't? ;)

It's such a long list, no one has had the time to finish it. But at the top, I'd put the fact that whichever iOS device you own can run any app you can buy in iTunes. With over 800 Android devices, your chances are always getting smaller. As a reluctant Android developer, I'm well aware of the problems here.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's such a long list, no one has had the time to finish it. But at the top, I'd put the fact that whichever iOS device you own can run any app you can buy in iTunes. With over 800 Android devices, your chances are always getting smaller. As a reluctant Android developer, I'm well aware of the problems here.

Thanks, Alli. I can appreciate that. I didn't know you were an Android developer. That is cool.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Holy non comprehension skills batman! Did you even READ the post that I was replying to here before going off on a tangent? I thought not. OK, let me refresh your memory a little.

Where in THIS POST is the word "CUSTOMIZATIONS"? Well guess what, it's NOT there. That poster was talking about stock iOS, and no, you CAN'T do all of those things with stock iOS UNLESS you jailbreak. For starters you can't do turn by turn voice directed navi as you claim to here because the stock maps app isn't capable of that. As a matter of fact you can't do ANY of the non physical things that I mentioned with stock iOS. :rolleyes:

Why do i have to keep spelling out that i am ALWAYS referring to a jailbroken iPhone? Understand it please, its quite frustrating to have to keep saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And comprehension? This ENTIRE thread we've been discussing customizing iPhones or how people complain that you CANT do such...someone asks what you can't do on the iPhone and you just magically assume they're talking about all things EXCEPT customizing? lol...come on now!

With your logic slipping this bad, i would suggest a battery pull (lmao)...then voice turn by turn navigation back to reality where the content of this thread isn't forgotten conveniently in a response where you list all the things an iPhone can't do, only to revert back to the "Well, you can't unless you jailbreak" BS.

It's such a familiar thing...like when windows fan boys realized people could partition Windows on their MacBooks, which actually ran the software better than most windows based PC's did, but people just KNEW computers equipped with Windows in stock form were better for some reason, lol.

With that, i say again, yes, i can do all of those things with my iPhone, i don't care that you can't do it natively because when the millions of iPhone users have a jailbreak available to them, guess what...they don't have to worry about native abilities anymore.

It's hilarious how defensive Android product fans get when they are told the iPhone can do the same things. Get over it! They're all over priced, under-featured toys that the companies make billions off of us with. It's all the same crap!

And while we're listing what the iPhone can do that the Android phone can't...have you ever tried to back up your android device to a computer and then use said backup on another android device? Heh... :eek:

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why do i have to keep spelling out that i am ALWAYS referring to a jailbroken iPhone? Understand it please, its quite frustrating to have to keep saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And comprehension? This ENTIRE thread we've been discussing customizing iPhones or how people complain that you CANT do such...someone asks what you can't do on the iPhone and you just magically assume they're talking about all things EXCEPT customizing? lol...come on now!

With your logic slipping this bad, i would suggest a battery pull (lmao)...then voice turn by turn navigation back to reality where the content of this thread isn't forgotten conveniently in a response where you list all the things an iPhone can't do, only to revert back to the "Well, you can't unless you jailbreak" BS.

It's such a familiar thing...like when windows fan boys realized people could partition Windows on their MacBooks, which actually ran the software better than most windows based PC's did, but people just KNEW computers equipped with Windows in stock form were better for some reason, lol.

Yes, you are correct. You did make it clear, at least in my opinion, that you were referencing jailbroken phones. Having said that, we both know that the majority of iPhone users will not jailbreak their devices and there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with people wanting to be able to wholly customize their devices without having to jailbreak it. Will Apple allow such a thing? I doubt it and why would they? They are, after all, very successful without having to. Anyway, that is my take on it. Take care & enjoy your weekend.

Just Me, D

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Let me spell this one out for you since you are sooooo dense here and can't get it through to that think skull of yours.:rolleyes: You CANNOT talk about all those things that were mentioned in the opening post without referring to jailbreak because you CAN'T and PROBABLY NEVER will running stock iOS. Also, all this talk of yours about "customizing" is a joke because there is very little customization allowed to the stock iOS user. Again, WITHOUT jailbreaking, period.

And comprehension? This ENTIRE thread we've been discussing customizing iPhones or how people complain that you CANT do such...
I don't hear complaints, just you rambling on and on and on here. Whether you like it or not, you CAN'T customize STOCK iOS. That is NOT a complaint, it's a FACT!!

someone asks what you can't do on the iPhone and you just magically assume they're talking about all things EXCEPT customizing? lol...come on now!
Are you always this dense or what? The question of "What can Android do that iOS can not" wasn't that difficult to process. I didn't have to read into anything nor was it a difficult one to answer, so stop with the mindless dribble here and come back at me when you're able to fully process a question WITHOUT READING INTO IT! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should stop quoting things from a 3rd graders insult book because it really does show your lack of thought process on your part here. :rolleyes:..... Until Apple steps up their game and allows what was mentioned in post #1 (which I doubt they ever will) it's ALWAYS going to come down to jailbreak. Without it the iPhone itself is quite simply, lackluster. Once again, there is no discussion of customization without mentioning the word "jailbreak" whether you like it or not because Apple offers very little in the way of customizing anything on the iPhone.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. You did make it clear, at least in my opinion, that you were referencing jailbroken phones. Having said that, we both know that the majority of iPhone users will not jailbreak their devices and there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with people wanting to be a able to wholly customize their devices without having to jailbreak it. Will Apple allow such a thing? I doubt it and why would they? They are, after all, very successful without having to. Anyway, that is my take on it. Take care & enjoy your weekend.

Just Me, D

To be honest, the amount of people that jailbreak their iOS device is substantial, and i believe the "majority" of people WOULD jailbreak their device if they understood clearly that there's really no downside to it AT ALL. People have this false sense that a jailbreak is going to damage their phone, primarily because misinformed and uneducated people spread rumors about it that are simply BS.

Hell, my mom, who is a complete tech retard has her iPhone jailbroken and is a pretty seasoned user of Cydia now, showing me a pretty awesome home screen layout she setup the other day that i didn't think her capable of. That tells me this "majority wouldn't blah blah blah" is a load of crap.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Let me spell this one out for you since you are sooooo dense here and can't get it through to that think skull of yours.:rolleyes: You CANNOT talk about all those things that were mentioned in the opening post without referring to jailbreak because you CAN'T and PROBABLY NEVER will running stock iOS. Also, all this talk of yours about "customizing" is a joke because there is very little customization allowed to the stock iOS user. Again, WITHOUT jailbreaking, period.

I don't hear complaints, just you rambling on and on and on here. Whether you like it or not, you CAN'T customize STOCK iOS. That is NOT a complaint, it's a FACT!!

Are you always this dense or what? The question of "What can Android do that iOS can not" wasn't that difficult to process. I didn't have to read into anything nor was it a difficult one to answer, so stop with the mindless dribble here and come back at me when you're able to fully process a question WITHOUT READING INTO IT! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should stop quoting things from a 3rd graders insult book because it really does show your lack of thought process on your part here. :rolleyes:..... Until Apple steps up their game and allows what was mentioned in post #1 (which I doubt they ever will) it's ALWAYS going to come down to jailbreak. Without it the iPhone itself is quite simply, lackluster. Once again, there is no discussion of customization without mentioning the word "jailbreak" whether you like it or not because Apple offers very little in the way of customizing anything on the iPhone.

You don't hear complaints? lol...then what the hell is this thread about? Again, since you seem to be back tracking the "debate" to fit your agenda now, i'll just leave this comment here again...the iPhone is fully capable of an extensive level of customizing. Period.

As far as me being dense...i simply pointed out that the entire thread discusses the ability to customize the iPhone, someone asked what it can't do that the Android can and you spouted off with a bunch of stuff that the iPhone IS in fact capable of, then features of the hardware (if you want to go there, prepare for a very long list on the iPhone side). I think you're upset because you know I'm right about the customization abilities of the iPhone, so instead of focusing on the stuff you knew id come back on, you had to go start listing physical attributes of an android handset...

You people act like a jailbreak is brain surgery...something that is simply out of the realm of capabilities for anyone besides the most seasoned user. That is simply hilarious.

Now go take some midol sweetheart. Calm down. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234