Warning about "iBooks Author"

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
As an author (online only) I was intrigued when I saw the video about the new "iBooks Author". Although the program is designed to work primarily with textbooks with lots of graphics and videos, I thought it sounded promising as a writing tool on the iPad. I even broached the topic on a couple of writing Forums. However someone sent me the following link to someone examination of the "liscence agreement" for the program. Essentially, it says that apple not only gets first dips on anything written with it, but it also states that the author cannot publish the work for free or for pay to ANYWHERE once it's enter the "Author" software!

I know that Apple is a bit anal about what gets approved and what doesn't for the Apple store, so I really didn't have high hopes that anything with any sex scenes would be approved, but I didn't expect such Draconian responses in their "Liscensing Agreements". Frankly, anyone who uses this software agrees ahead of time, before they've written a word with it, that Apple owns anything to do with anything created with their tool.

Don't know if we have any authors, but I'd read the attached story carefully:

Article: The Ed Bott Report on ZDNet.

zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-license-agreement/4360?tag=nl.e589]Apple's]Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement | ZDNet[/url] mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement | ZDNet

(Sorry, but I haven't been a member long enough to post a link. I included the address above (copy and paste it with www attached and it should work. It points to zdnet, so you can trust it based on their trustworthiness. I'll update the link once I've posted enough messages to get authorization).

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, wasn't paying attention. This ISN"T a Jailbreak/Unlock item.

I'll repost it in a couple of days (when I get authorization to) in the main forum, although it will probably be reported there already by then. Sorry for the screw up.

anon(4692575)

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If I have understood it correctly, you CAN offer your book written with iBooks Author anywhere for free, but if you're going to sell it you have to sell it in the iBooks Store. You can also sell the same content that you already sell in the iBooks Store (same text and images but published/converted to ePub/PDF/etc in a different application) outside of the Store, but you're not allowed to sell it cheaper.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods