Votes: 8 57.1%
  • PlayStation 3

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to buy my kids (7 & 10 years old) a Playstation 3 or a XBOX for Christmas. We have a Wii, but would like to add another gaming console. Which do you prefer?

Thanks,

Rob

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
PS3: gotta have the Blu-ray player. this always been the deal breaker for me

although the XBOX may be more "kid" friendly when it comes to games

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought PS3 in 2008 mainly because it had a Bluray player. Was a great decision for me. Now for kids, I dont know if a bluray player is needed.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My answer is both.
If I had to choose: Xbox 360.

More exclusives (that I play)
More family oriented games, especially with kinect.
More of my friends have a 360.
More online media (at least it seems to me)
The controller is much better for fps games (which is what I mostly play, that and rpg.)
Developers usually like developing for Xbox over the ps3. (example Bethesda stated that while in development with skyrim)

The only thing the ps3 really has going for it is blu ray, it's better tech specs, and Perhaps the controller depending on the kind of games you play.
The exclusives on the ps3 usually do score higher than the 360, but they are all high 80s and above. Doesn't make a big difference to me.

I guess you don't need to know all of that for kids, but hey, extra information doesn't hurt. Especially if you plan on playing it sometimes too ;)

Last edited:

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Xbox 360 for sure. It sucks you have to pay for Xbox Live but it's totally worth because the servers are rarely down as opposed to PS3 where they go down for a month at a time. Xbox usually gets more exclusives and they will be released to Xbox before PS3. Personally I hate the PS3 controllers, I think they're too small and lightweight. Blu-ray is a plus though on the PS3

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally I prefer the PS3. There are many reasons, many of which were listed above. The Blu-Ray player and larger disc capacity is what initially sold me on it (that and the fact that HD-DVD is dead) but I also like the PS3 exclusive games more than the XBOX exclusives. The PS3 supports 3D movies and games (if you have a 3D TV or are planning to get one soon) and in general has better hardware specs.

The PlayStation Move is Sony's answer to motion controls and from what I hear it works pretty well. It's very accurate, but you have to actually hold a controller like the Wii as opposed to the Kinect which analyzes your body's movements. If motion control gaming is a big deal then I would compare the Move and Kinect-compatible games and see which selection your kids would enjoy more.

Then again, I'm an adult, have no interest in motion gaming, and am the only user of the console. For kids 8-11 years old an XBOX may be a better option. Parental controls are somewhat lacking on the PS3; from what I have read they are better on the XBOX.

As to the comment above stating that the "PSN is down for a month at a time", I'll just say that other than the security breach, which did force Sony to shut down service for a month, I have had zero problems with the PSN. And just because the XBOX servers haven't been breached in the same fashion doesn't mean it can't happen. Personally, I don't mind saving $5 a month.

In the end, decide what features are more important to you and make your decision.

Last edited:

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally I recommend the ps3. It's a little more complicated to use for a kid but it's more reliable. I've been through 4 xboxes and I'm on my first ps3. I haven't heard any reliability issues with the newer Xbox design though.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
For kids, Xbox. If you add the Kinect, you and the kids can have a blast. My son and I love playing Kinect Sports for the bowling.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The PS3 supports 3D movies and games (if you have a 3D TV or are planning to get one soon) and in general has better hardware specs.

As to the comment above stating that the "PSN is down for a month at a time", I'll just say that other than the security breach, which did force Sony to shut down service for a month, I have had zero problems with the PSN. And just because the XBOX servers haven't been breached in the same fashion doesn't mean it can't happen. Personally, I don't mind saving $5 a month.
Shhhh let 3D die haha.
I would like to note that XBL has been down before and has been hacked. I recently had a friend spend like 10 bucks on Fifa. Obviously this isnt as serious as the PSN incident, but it has happened.
The reliability is so much better on XBL, i use to game alot on MAG and a few other shooters. Much more lag spikes on PSN than XBL. That does kind of depend on if the game has servers and its just a personal experience, but still.

Personally I recommend the ps3. It's a little more complicated to use for a kid but it's more reliable. I've been through 4 xboxes and I'm on my first ps3. I haven't heard any reliability issues with the newer Xbox design though.
Yeah the new xbox designs are sooo much better. Much quieter (though it does heat up a little more), much lower failure rate, and i really like the sensor buttons instead of the push buttons.
Not sure why the PS3 got rid of them.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you guys plan to play online a good bit, the Xbox...

If you simply play in your home with no plans to play any games online...PS3.

...i have both, and because i primarily play online, the Xbox is the better fit for me. The PS3 does offer more technology for the price, and while some will argue this until they are blue in the face, the PS3 does offer slightly better graphics. The Xbox is the online play king...the PS3 is the better all around system (without considering online play)...you just have to choose which means more.

Iammedina

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have both and whenever my nephews(10 & 12) come to my house they want to play with the Xbox because of the Kinect. There are a lot more games for kids on Xbox.

PS3 is for me and Xbox is for my wife and kids in family that come over. We don't have kids yet. Wife lives Dance Central 2, we highly recommend it.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I have both an XBox 360 and a PS3, and I honestly haven't played my XBox in almost two years. I haven't even turned it on.

The PS3 is a Blu Ray player, so it gets used ALL the time. On top of that, I also use the PS3 for NetFlix, though I think NetFlix is also available for XBox. PS3 has more powerful graphics than the XBox 360 too, plus you don't have to pay for Microsoft's lame XBox Live service just to be able to connect with others. For the PS3, multiplayer games are free.

For the most part, games on PS3 are generally better graphically, due to the PS3's faster and more powerful graphics processor. I've not personally seen any XBox 360 games that looked better than the PS3 counterpart.

I can't really say which system is better for young kids though. For that, you'd probably need to research kids software, though the 10 year old is probably already playing Call of Duty, lol.

I guess the best suggestion would be for you to ask your kids what they want, and get them that. If all of their friends are playing XBox 360, then you should probably get that. If they don't have a preference, I would personally recommend the PS3, because it's a game console, Blu Ray player, and media device all in one, where the XBox is just two out of the three. PS3 is a better value IMO.

Good luck on your choice and Happy Holidays!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
....I guess the best suggestion would be for you to ask your kids what they want, and get them that. If all of their friends are playing XBox 360, then you should probably get that.

VERY wise advice! This is what my boys did. All of their friends already had Xboxes and were on Xbox Live so that is what they went with.

I do not have or have ever used a PS3 so I won't comment, but I will say that they xbox Kinex is one of the COOLEST game systems that I have ever seen. Truly impressive!

..and I am not a M$ fan at all!

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
For the most part, games on PS3 are generally better graphically, due to the PS3's faster and more powerful graphics processor. I've not personally seen any XBox 360 games that looked better than the PS3 counterpart.

Most games developed for the chosen system usually always runs better on that system when the game is merely ported to the other system.
This is just due to developers being lazy, but it usually saves them money and the games run acceptable either way.

And the GPU actually isn't more powerful, it only allows up to 24 shader pipelines at a time while the 360's allows up to 48 Unified lines.
The reason why the PS3 has better graphics is because the CPU takes a lot of the load off of the GPU.

Last edited:

Realistiic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ps3 all the way, the only plus for the xbox for kids is the controller is easier for small hands.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have both an XBox 360 and a PS3, and I honestly haven't played my XBox in almost two years. I haven't even turned it on.

The PS3 is a Blu Ray player, so it gets used ALL the time. On top of that, I also use the PS3 for NetFlix, though I think NetFlix is also available for XBox. PS3 has more powerful graphics than the XBox 360 too, plus you don't have to pay for Microsoft's lame XBox Live service just to be able to connect with others. For the PS3, multiplayer games are free.

I can't really say which system is better for young kids though. For that, you'd probably need to research kids software, though the 10 year old is probably already playing Call of Duty, lol.

I guess the best suggestion would be for you to ask your kids what they want, and get them that. If all of their friends are playing XBox 360, then you should probably get that. If they don't have a preference, I would personally recommend the PS3, because it's a game console, Blu Ray player, and media device all in one, where the XBox is just two out of the three. PS3 is a better value IMO.

Good luck on your choice and Happy Holidays!

Responding to the bolded part...i'd much rather spend a few bucks a month on Xbox Live then play multiplayer on PS3 (which i have done to compare between the two systems on the same game)...PS3 just doesn't cut it when it comes to online play, the servers are generally worse...communicating between players on PS3 is a joke...DLC's are typically late or nonexistent in many cases, and that's just a start of the complaints for the online experience on Playstation.

When you buy a years subscription to Xbox Live up front, you end up spending less than $5/month...the Playstation can't even begin to compare to the online experience given even OUTSIDE of the games themselves...which is why it remains free.

But if what they offer is good enough for you, enjoy it...i personally can't stand it, which is why the system collects dust in between exclusive games released only for Playstation (which are few and far between).

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
When PS3 first came out and blu-rays were new, that was an easy choice. You knew this would receive updates for it's blu-ray player.

These days? I'd pick an xbox. You could always get a cheap blu-ray player if you need one though truthfully i just stream or download.

But an xbox offers more in video choices, has better online play, and can be used as an extender. Plus there's the whole Kinect thing.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
XBOX
the kinect is superb for kids (and adults!) - and the LIVE network is more secure and more stable.

FYI though... but companies have stated that new systems will be announced in 2012 (not sure when they will be launched)

if you go with XBOX be SURE to get the 250GB system - the 4gb system will fill up in no time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77