What I want in the 2012 iPhone design

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Apple, if you're listening, I just want two external changes to the 2012 iPhone:

1) Curved glass edges. I think the overall shape is fine, but rounding off the edges of the glass panels would give the iPhone a better look and feel. I don't like the slightly plasticky feel of the glass edges as they are now.

2) MagSafe docking connector. Yes, this would require iPhone / iPad / iPod dock connectors to all be changed in one fell swoop. But it would add slickness to all those products (and it might free up a tiny bit of internal space for a slightly bigger battery.)

There are other items on my wish list, but they're only minor:

- Shiny Liquidmetal back instead of glass.

- Narrower bezel so screen is flush with the edges of the device. Sorry Georgia.

- 2-year lifespan oleophobic coating on the touchscreen. (May have already been done.)

And, of course, it would be cool to have an illuminated Apple logo on the back too.
But not at the expense of battery size and life...

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Good suggestions. I'm pretty happy with the design of the iPhone 4 and now 4s, but I think there is still some room for improvement in their OS and hardware. For instance, more RAM.

Reactions: SockRolid

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
3.5" is fine.

Good suggestions. I'm pretty happy with the design of the iPhone 4 and now 4s, but I think there is still some room for improvement in their OS and hardware. For instance, more RAM.

Yeah, technical improvements are always welcome, of course. But I'm fine with the 3.5" screen. If Apple thought that 3.7" or 4" was better, the 2G would have had it in 2007. 3.5" is just about the right size for average people to one-hand the iPhone.

To use the thumb to tap anywhere on the screen. Not everybody can do that with a bigger screen.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the no glass back. My iPhone 4 is ok because I use a bumper, but my wife keeps dropping hers which has no case/no bumper!

Even Gorilla glass needs to be a certain thickness to resist shattering. I think a metal back could achieve the same strength with less thickness. That could either reduce the iPhone's overall thickness and/or allow for a bigger battery.

I think the real reason why iPhone 4 and 4S have glass backs is that the glass is extremely hard to scratch. It will keep on looking perfectly smooth (unless you drop it.) The polished stainless steel back of the iPod touch really gets scratched and scuffed, and I suspect Apple doesn't like that. The case makers must love it though. :)

When I first saw the spy shots of the iPhone 4 I thought that Apple could stick with that basic design for several years. I figured Apple could just make the metal band narrower as battery technology improved and the electronics became more power-efficient. We won't know for sure until at least 2012...

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with the general design, just stick a 4" screen and LTE and I'll be perfectly happy. If they can squeeze a higher quality front camera I wouldn't complain.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SockRolid