Baseball fans...we NEED instant replay reviews in baseball...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I rarely see sports threads on this forum, so i dont know how many people we have here that actually watch baseball (or any sport for that matter)...but as an avid baseball fan, this season has brought one concern to my attention and that is the absolutely dire need for instant replay reviews.

I dont know if its the caliber of umpires we have, or the fact that players are some competitive that they are keeping the plays so close that its simply impossible to see in real time, but this season it has just become almost unbearable how many BLOWN plays have been made by the umpires...how many games have been lost or won by a blind call and no recourse for the team who suffers for it.

Now this will seem biased, but im a Braves fan, last night there was a play at second base where McCann threw out the base stealer by a MILE...but it was ruled a stolen base...i wouldnt make such a big deal out of this but the very next play SCORED this player, and they went on to win 1-0...yes, the game was decided on a severely blown out call by an umpire with a poor POV.

MLB needs replays, period. We have these umps who either cant see or are too lazy to get into the play to get a good point of view and its becoming overwhelming how many games are decided by these plays. Football has it for the same exact reasons, and if it works there, it will work here. It wont add too much to the length of the game given the HD cameras used and the angles that can give almost unquestionable proof of the outcome of the play...it just NEEDS to happen so these teams can win games they deserve to win.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
eh... i remember when there wasn't any instant replay in the NFL and how irate people would get, including myself, when you would clearly see afterwards that it was the wrong call or no call

not sure why the MLB is taking their time on this but hopefully it will happen eventually, it's only fair

and you're right, there aren't many sports orientated members here. you and i are in the minority, but it's nice to see

xxjokerxx

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely. I'm a white sox fan but due to my work schedule I can rarely watch the game but I have heard from friends all the controversy that goes on in all the MLB. I think controversy is a suitable word for this, yes?

I hope they do something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Baseball is already long enough... so the reason it's taking so long
is because the MLB knows the teams that would probably use it
the most are the ones that already take forever to play, like the
Yankees and Red Sox.

I do agree that there have been a lot of blown calls, but that has
always been part of baseball... the human eye.

What I don't like are calls that certain umps make that they should
not be making. For example, the home plate umpire "seeing" a
player not able to hold up. It's not your duty, so stop trying to
make it that way. Or a runner tagging up and the umpire that was
watching an outfielder catch the ball and can somehow call the
runner that was tagging up, out for leaving early. Even if you can
see his body move, you can't see his feet. They did that to Nick
Swisher last year in the PLAYOFFS, not regular season, but the
playoffs.

Maybe one challenge a game? Not for balls and strikes. That will
never be a part of replay.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I rarely see sports threads on this forum, so i dont know how many people we have here that actually watch baseball (or any sport for that matter)...but as an avid baseball fan, this season has brought one concern to my attention and that is the absolutely dire need for instant replay reviews.

I dont know if its the caliber of umpires we have, or the fact that players are some competitive that they are keeping the plays so close that its simply impossible to see in real time, but this season it has just become almost unbearable how many BLOWN plays have been made by the umpires...how many games have been lost or won by a blind call and no recourse for the team who suffers for it.

Now this will seem biased, but im a Braves fan, last night there was a play at second base where McCann threw out the base stealer by a MILE...but it was ruled a stolen base...i wouldnt make such a big deal out of this but the very next play SCORED this player, and they went on to win 1-0...yes, the game was decided on a severely blown out call by an umpire with a poor POV.

MLB needs replays, period. We have these umps who either cant see or are too lazy to get into the play to get a good point of view and its becoming overwhelming how many games are decided by these plays. Football has it for the same exact reasons, and if it works there, it will work here. It wont add too much to the length of the game given the HD cameras used and the angles that can give almost unquestionable proof of the outcome of the play...it just NEEDS to happen so these teams can win games they deserve to win.

Yeah, being a Braves fan, and a baseball fan in general, there needs to be instant replay. I saw that call and it was bad. That was a scoring run, too. I'm not saying this because the Braves lost, but blown calls, especially in the post season, mean so much more than during the regular season.

And last night there was another blown call at first. :rolleyes:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No instant replay needed for tonights catastrophe...brooks conrad needs to be shot.

Baseball is already long enough...

I disagree...its a slow game yes, but if they make the replay regulated to a specific amount of time and leave it to the chief ump, that's a matter of a minute or 2. You give each coach 2 challenges and you've added at most 10-15min. to the game...

I mean that's nothing when you have college football teams playing near 4 hour games like the U vs. FSU game last night...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2