Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Pro

Default Did owning an iPhone make you want a Mac?

Curious, I read somewhere recently that Mac sales were on a high uptick, with an assumed influx of new iPhone owners adopting to Apple's style.....

So, did anyone here go from PC to Mac because of their iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad???

BTW I bought my first MacBook and My 1st iPhone on the same day......launch day of 3G
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

I actually purchased my iPhone 3G AFTER buying my MacBook so no...lol.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Yes. I purchased a MacBook Pro about 2 weeks after I purchased my iPhone 4.
    iPhone Beginner

If Windows 7 was a flop I'd probably consider it but so far I have no complaints and don't really see the need to spend the money to get into an Apple computer when all I really do on my home PC is play around on the internet.
    iMore Intermediate

i did. i had an iPhone for about 7 months ago and bought me an iMac about a month ago. in all fairness i have wanted a mac for a while now, but the iPhone is what made me go out and buy it
    iPhone Intermediate

About a year after my 3G I purchased a Mac because it was time to upgrade my PC (after only 13 months). I will never go back (although I have to use one at work).
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I already owned a Mac prior to the original iPhone. First Mac was a 1.5 ghz 15" PowerBook G4.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    314 Global Posts

I would upgrade to a Mac if I had the $$$ to do it, and if I hadn't already invested way too much money in software.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

I have had all the different iPhones and want to get a MacBook Pro!!!
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

i have wanted a mac for a while thinking i might finally pull the trigger with best buy offering 24 months financing.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Microcosmos View Post
    I would upgrade to a Mac if I had the $$$ to do it, and if I hadn't already invested way too much money in software.
    +1,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    iPhone Beginner

Well the first Mac I used was those all-in-one PowerMac G3s (pre-iMac days), so no, quite the opposite. Haha.
    32GB iPhone 4 Unlocked
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.66 GHz i7/4GB/500GB 10.6.4

Global Posts
    6,817 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by mpdonlan View Post
    i have wanted a mac for a while thinking i might finally pull the trigger with best buy offering 24 months financing.
    hmmmmm never even thought of that I'll have to see if that's offered here in Canada so I can sell my current MBPro and get the new unibody

I owned my Mac before I got my iPhone but with some of the complaints I've seen and some of the iPhone users I've helped I can see how it might make someone want to get a Mac.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Newbie

Not really.
    As a hardcore gamer and .NET developer i don't see myself buying a mac. Not to mention the exaggerated price. I could buy one heck of a gaming PC with the money i spend on a mac.

So the iPhone doesn't influence my decision in any way.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Nope. On my 3rd generation of iPhone, and no desire at all to invest in a Mac. I have a very nice laptop that does everything I want/need and it never gives me any problems. And I know that in a year if I get the itch, I can replace it for something faster or with whatever new features become available (touch screen?) and still have spent less than I could spend on a Mac (and that wouldn't include buying all my MS apps for Apple...which seems self-defeating IMNSVHO).
    iMore Guru

Always iwned a Mac. Never had a PC. It was the fact
    That I couldn't easily sync b
    my blackberry that made me go outand spend the money on the first gen iPhone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    758 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I did buy my first Mac after purchasing my first iPhone (3Gs) and I'm sure that had a little to do with it. I was thinking about buying a Mac before I got the iPhone though.

The student discount and free iPod touch didn't hurt either.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

YES! in the past year I've bought an iPod touch, and iPad and an iPhone and I'm finding myself wanting a Mac. Now to be fair I've wanted one for a while but could never justify the price for a piece of equipment that I would have to learn to use.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,545 Global Posts

Nope, the iphone doesn't make me want a Mac. Not when a PC is much better. If anything, it discouraged me. While the heavy control i can deal with for now with a phone..not so on a desktop.
    iPhone Intermediate

Eventually, yes. Actually, the iPad may have pushed me over the edge. Since owning an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and an iPad, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Apple store playing with the Macs, and I recently bought a Mac Mini after my 7 year old Dell pooped out. I guess that I just wanted something worse than a PC.

Global Posts
    6,817 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Nope, the iphone doesn't make me want a Mac. Not when a PC is much better. If anything, it discouraged me. While the heavy control i can deal with for now with a phone..not so on a desktop.
    I use both daily and fail to see how any one is better than the other? there are things I love doing on my PC that are so much easier in Windows and there are things my Mac just blows my Windows PC out of the water. I've never understood the age long debate about one being better than the other but maybe that's just me. How is the desktop heavily controlled on the Mac? if anything it's much easier to run cracked software on the Mac since there is no registry and very few Mac software until recently used Serial #s.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iPhone Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    May I ask what heavy control you speak of? Because everything I did on my PC/Laptops, I can do them all on the Mac, not too mention slightly better too....so I am just curious...I understand the "heavy control" of the phone, but not the Mac side to be honest
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
    iPhone Newbie

Recently I bought a higher end Dell Laptop - Studio 15 with Quad core and 1080P display etc. - The problem with it is that the fonts/icons... are just not the right size for the display, the multi-touch pad does not work well, the system gets so hot its no longer a laptop but a desktop and the battery last for < 2hours. For my daughter we bought a Mac Book Pro and of course she has none of these problems!

If you are buying for price I think it is OK to buy a $500-700 PC laptop - but it makes no sense to buy a high end PC laptop as for the price, you expect things to just work and they do not! I think I am done buying PC/Windows Laptops!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Yep. Got my 3GS July 1 '09, WinXP desktop died Jan. '10. I had thoughts about buying a Mac before I got the iPhone, but actually experiencing the integration of the iPhone's OS & HW sealed the deal when my PC was given last rites. Immediately thereafter I came home w/a MacBook & could not be happier w/all things Apple.
    iPhone: there is no substitute. Apples: MacBook '09 | 8GB iPod Nano 4th gen | iPhone 5: black/slate 32GB, AT&T: Sleek, Sexy, Stealth
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

went out sold my dell laptop today bought a macbook pro and everything is easier or the same plan on dual booting it with xp just for kicks now just trying to figure out how to get my music off my ipod to the new mac is the challenge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast