Guide of how to search for info on the forum

fresh1

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
There has been a lot of new peeps asking the same questions over and over without doing a search ... Heres a quick little guide i wrote up on how to use the boards search function ..

OK, so over the years I have been here I have seen many, many people ask questions and then get flamed for not doing a search. Now my view on this is, that as a newbie, doing research isn?t that easy. First of all you have to know how to use the search facility and second of all you have to know how to ask that search facility the right questions. So I thought it was time somebody layed out step by step what needs to be done to do enable somebody to do some research.

So lets use an example. I want to find out everything there is to know about jailbreaking , so what do I do ?

Start searching the forums for information. Now this is easy, if you look at the top of each page in the forums about three quarters of the way across the page from the left is the word ?Search?. So click ?Search? and a drop down menu will appear with a heading that says ?Search Forums? then a blank field and under that Advance Search. If you type in ?Jailbreaking? into the blank field and then press the ?Go? button every post in ever forum will be searched for the letters ?Jailbreaking? and a list of every thread containing the word ?Jailbreaking? will be displayed.

Now this is a good start but you have a lot of reading to do. There is a way of refining the search a little. Most threads which are particularly helpful will have the key word you are looking for in the Title of the thread and not just in the contents. So let?s do a search of the titles.

Click on the Search button again, now when the drop down menu appears click on ?Advanced Search? and leave the field empty. This will take you to a page with a few options you need to choose from. If you look at this page for a while it is pretty self explanatory and it is a very strong search tool as well. So we want to find the word ?Jailbreaking? in the TITLE of every post in every forum. We can narrow it down to individual forums but lets leave that for now.

Go to the left hand side of the screen to the area entitled ?Search By Key Word? below that is a blank field. We want to type in ?Jailbreaking? here, you can put other words in as well if you want to narrow the search even more but lets just stick with ?Jailbreaking? for now. Now under the field that you just filled in there is a small box that says ?Search Entire Post? with a down arrow next to it.

If you do nothing more now and press the ?Search Now? button at the bottom of the page, the same search will be done that we did initially on the previous page. Now what you can do is click on the down arrow and you are then given another choice which says ?Search Titles Only?. If you select this option then press ?Search Now? only the titles of every thread in every forum will be searched and matches displayed.

Play around with this search page as there are many options and alternatives you can use to gather the information you are looking for.

Fresh1

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro