Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions - Yahoo! News

Lauren Rosenberg, a Los Angeles California native, is suing Google because Google Maps issued directions that told her to walk down a rural highway. She started walking down the highway--which had no sidewalk or pedestrian paths--and was struck by a car. She is suing Google for her medical expenses ($100,000), as well as punitive damages. She is also suing the driver who struck her, Patrick Harwood of Park City, Utah.

On January 19, 2010, Rosenberg was apparently trying to get from 96 Daly Street, Park City, Utah, to 1710 Prospector Avenue, Park City, Utah. She looked up the walking directions using Google Maps on her Blackberry. Google Maps suggested a route that included a half-mile walk down "Deer Valley Drive," which is also known as "Utah State Route 224."

There's not much more to say--she started walking down the middle of a highway, and a car hit her. Who wouldn't have seen that one coming?

According to Rosenberg's complaint filing:Rosenberg v. Harwood (& Google) | Scribd

"As a direct and proximate cause of Defendant Google?s careless, reckless and negligent providing of unsafe directions, Plaintiff Lauren Rosenberg was led onto a dangerous highway, and was thereby stricken by a motor vehicle, causing her to suffer sever permanent physical, emotional, and mental injuries, including pain and suffering."

Google actually does offer up a warning about its walking directions--if you view Google Maps on a computer, it gives you the following message: "Walking directions are in beta. Use caution--This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

This warning does not show up in PDA's and cell phones, however. I suppose Google figured that people who are smart enough to use Blackberries are probably also smart enough to not walk directly into the middle of traffic.

UN-****ing-BELIEVABLE !

mo98

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I hope Google does not give in, but we all know that it's cheaper in the long run to just pay her off and move on.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
"There's not much more to say--she started walking down the middle of a highway, and a car hit her. Who wouldn't have seen that one coming"?

That should be enough said...

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
This really is unbelievable. It's lawsuits like this crap that make everyone's life more complicated with all the warnings and laws! One might argue she already had mental defects!!! I taught my kids to stay out of the street as toddlers- maybe she'll file a suit on her mom too. This kind of stuff drives me nuts. ( as if you couldn't tell). :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That's like.. suing a knife company because you cut yourself with it. Or suing a paper shredder company because you shredded an important piece of paper.