Domain name value

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I have a domain name (drmosquito.com) that I purchased a while back (when I got my PhD). I thought it would be sort of fun to have, I could post research and career related stuff.

I have not used it as much as I would have liked. In fact, aside from a placeholder, I haven't used it much at all.

I just got an email today asking if I wanted to sell it, and for how much.

How can you determine the value of a domain name? I don't use it for commerce, there is no page rank stuff since I don't really have anything on it.

Inquiring minds want to know!

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I've never sold one but my first inkling would be to ask the individual if it will be used commercially or private ! Then You set the price. Don't know what you paid for it, but Quote High. You can always compromise.

Is the potential buyer in the Exterminating Business? Are they in the Research area? Are they a private individual searcheng to make a buck?

Since you have no idea how much traffic it has produced, Guess... Well, if it were me, I'd look at my price...How long have I had it...What kind of return could I have gotten over the same amout of time invested somewhere else. I'd want at least 12 to 15 % return... but that's me, being a business owner.

zeagus

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I sold a domain name that I used primarily for the forums where my old online gaming buddies kept in touch. It's now a commercial site. I owned it for nearly ten years and was a bit nostalgic about it, but it was a great opportunity. They made a very fair initial offer, but I wasn't entirely sure about it and I ended up selling for 2.5x the original offer. It was a decent chunk of change. The suggestion to find out whether it will be commercial or not is a good one.

Last edited:

flyawaymike

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
it really wouldn't matter about asking if it's going to be private or commercial..

they can say whatever they want, and then once they own it can do something
entirely different with it, it's not like you can do anything about it then.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
it really wouldn't matter about asking if it's going to be private or commercial..

they can say whatever they want, and then once they own it can do something
entirely different with it, it's not like you can do anything about it then.
That's why when one does anything dealing with busniess and money transfering from hand to hand EVERYTHING is in writing. It's CYA...

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, I asked him what he would offer. I have no idea how much I would "WANT" for the site, so I will see if he makes an offer I find tempting.

Chris

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, from a prospective of return for your money. I would still think 12% to 15% return is fair. RAW Capitalism in motion. You GOT it...SOMEONE WANTS it...AND they CAN ONLY get it from YOU... Therefore the value is worth more.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, he offered $200. I thought about it, and told him that due to the relevance it has to me, I was declining his offer. IMO, I would need at least $700 or so to think about it. He then turned around and offered $500. Thoughts?

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
That's what I'm talking about... If you're satisfied with the $500.00 offer, accept it... If your a Gambler.. Pump it up... Just keep in mind... Apparrently, the potential buyer has an Agenda... He did meet you better than 1/2 way... Are you strapped for cash that much? Will that $500.00 really make a difference in your life? Myself, I'd have to take those questions in consideration...

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Could also be a middle man. Maybe he knows someone that is willing to pay 1k or more for it and that's why he so immediately more than doubled his offer. Someone that so easily changes their offer without thinking about it probably has more room to go higher.

I would say if you need the money take it, if not keep it.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, he offered $200. I thought about it, and told him that due to the relevance it has to me, I was declining his offer. IMO, I would need at least $700 or so to think about it. He then turned around and offered $500. Thoughts?

Hey cjvitek, come on down... Don't keep us in the dark ! What was the final offer ? Did you accept ? I have a domain I may decide to sell, if the "price is Right".

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
COOL... If your into Bloodsuckers... LOL... I wouldn't get overly enthralled about it, the FED's Don't look kindly on COMPETITION... No Seriously, That's a NICE SITE. Go into more detail as to what ya'll do... Check mine out if you like... Dennis & Irene Howard - Home

RAWapps

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I sure have. Thanks for the welcome. It always makes wonder why it is that people think a catchy domain name will do all the work. True you come across some really crappy sites that show up high in the search results b/c of it, but none of it really matters, nor will anyone want to point back or refer to you if your site does not offer any content of value.