Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

537 Posts
    Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

Default BidHere.com? Real or Fake?

has anyone read, heard, or had experience with the site www.bidhere.com? their site has deals for DLS cameras selling for $117 (retail for $4200!) needless to say, i'm EXTREMELY skeptical. in the words of austin powers "allow myself to introduce...myself":

We auction brand new top-name products at bargain prices, usually at 60% to 90% off the retail price. It doesnít get better than this! We have something for everyone, whether itís that new phone that you have always wanted, the latest digital camera to take with you on your next holiday, or a new Louis Vuitton handbag, you will find it all on Bidhere! Why not take a minute to browse through our current auctions, buy bids to get started and Win

i'm also leery of their bidding process. when they say "buy bids", i can't tell if you they're saying you can bid in $0.60 increments, or if they charge you separately. meaning i bid $5, they charge me $0.60. then i turn around and increase bid to $10, again they charge me another $0.60. their FAQ claims:

"While the first 5 bids are on us, each bid costs just USD 0.60 , AUD 0.75, NZD 0.90 & GBP 0.40 thereafter. Bid price is different for each country depending on the exchange rates. You will only see the price in your currency when you buy bids. Bids can be bought in packs of 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000 bids"

before i get REALLY excited about buying some of these items for pennies on the dollar, i wondered if anyone else knew more about the site. i checked snopes.com and googled-around for answers. couldn't come up with anything that proved it WASN'T legit. any help is appreciated.
    iMore Elite

2,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,950 Global Posts

I would say it's too good to be true. Now, if it were a Nigerian prince or a British dude, I would say go for it.
    iPhone Nanite

0 Posts

the way it works is the site is putting the item up, and even though one guy is walking away with a $4000 item for $150, tons of people are paying the fee to bid (each bid that costs 60c only increases the final sale price by 1c/5c or something marginal). so the guy that wins gets an insane deal, but thousands of other people paid 60c on each bid to increase the price by 1c each time

disclaimer: ive never actually won anything off these sites, and its easy to see why

6,816 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Hmm, does anyone really think you are going to get a $4000 camera for a 100 bucks? Not happening.