Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
so i've never upgraded before...been running xp as long as I can remember.

when i upgrade does it reformat everything like it's a new install on the hdd? or just go over everything with the new windows? am i going to have to reinstall all my programs and settings?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You will have to reinstall everything. 7 can't upgrade from XP, only certain versions of Vista.

It's well worth it though. 7 is amazing.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would think if you really wanted to upgrade you could upgrade to vista and then to 7 but that would depend how badly you wanna upgrade. I love it I've been running it on my MB Pro through fusion forever. I just bought two copies for my work and home machines 

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded it yesterday for $30 and put it on my usb drive and installed from there. Total time until completion was about 3 hours. Windows 7 I am shocked and surprised to say is pretty good so far.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Alli,
I have Vista home premium and wainting on my Windows 7 home addition. Will I have to re-install everything? i.e MSN, winscp, and other random programs

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
No, I didn't have to reinstall anything. I did the upgrade, but if your disc is the full version, you have the ability to do a clean install. Depending on how old your Vista installation is and how borked it might be, doing a clean install to Windows 7 will be a good idea. Then, yes, you will have to reinstall everything. Just backup your stuff first.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have already put all docs, pics, music, etc on my ex HD. I just got the comp in June of this year so not that long ago, so I might just do the upgrade. If it goes crazy could go back and still do a clean install?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Just do the clean install right out the gate. If you have everything backed up why not? I know it's a pain to re-install all your apps but if you have all their info I say do it. Sometimes we use little progs and plugins for one time needs that are just taking up space and littering your registry why not do a clean sweep.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you have Vista home anything, when you try to do an update, it will tell you that you have to do a clean install and cannot upgrade from the home version. (That makes life simple for you.)

As I've mentioned before though, it will still take all your old files and move them nicely to a new folder called WindowsOld unless you actually slick your hard drive first (which is the best idea).

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I upgraded my wife's from Vista Home to 7 Home without a glitch. And, as I stated earlier, I used PCMover Assistant to upgrade my XP machine to 7 Enterprise without having to reinstall my apps. So far, only three days, all is working well on both machines.

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
7 really surprised me how much i like it. never ugraded to vista (i heard to many horror stories) about time MS has done something worthy of how much $$ they have.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded it yesterday for $30 and put it on my usb drive and installed from there. Total time until completion was about 3 hours. Windows 7 I am shocked and surprised to say is pretty good so far.

Where'd you get it for $30? I need to get another copy for my netbook. So I see that Apple has already got ads making fun of Win7 that was fast LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro