How to test internet speed on my Imac

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
This is completely off topic but I bet someone here can be of more help than our Charter cable company. We received a call from some guy saying he was James from Charter and that we were due for a free upgrade from 5mb to 10mb on our internet speed. And all I had to do was disconnect my modem for 30 seconds and it would be up and running. I thought it sounded fishy so I called tech support at Charter who knew nothing about some guy calling people at home with free upgrades. AND he said we were on 5mb but we could upgrade free for a year. I told him I'd think about it. So this morning I got online with a Charter rep and HE says we ARE on 10mb right now! How can I do a speed test on my Imac?? I use Airport Express for my wireless.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
So how did you come out Tx?

Good Link BTW!

I'm already running at 10mb so I figure that phone call was fishy. I don't think there is anyway someone could hack in to my system by my unplugging my modem BUT I wasn't taking any chances!;)

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I also recommend

speakeasy for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. The link to the speed test is at the bottom right of their home page.

It gives you streaming speed results for both upload and download rates without as many graphics that go along with a lot of other speed test sites. You also get a conversion from megabits/sec to megabytes/sec in parenthesis if you scroll down to the bottom (after the test is done).

Last edited:

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
speedtest app

Yeah, I like SpeedTest a lot. They even have an app for the iPhone.

It's not bad for an iPhone speedtest. I had one problem with it thus far. It kept telling me that the closest servers were out in Michigan & Illinois (where I had recently visited) even though I had returned to the New England area where I live. I had 3G and location services on. Closing the application and restarting the iPhone fixed the problem.

nkamk

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Internet speed problem

While i searching on internet it takes time for downloading some webistes in my system i chk the internet speed from ip-details.com noted it. Then i open the same website on different browser that time it work fast is this broswer problem or internet speed differs some what confused need hlep pls....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711