Do you recommend me to buy a Nintendo Switch ?

jojolapin102

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am a PC Gamer, I don't have any console, except the Nintendo Wii, and I read a lot of things about the Nintendo Switch. Then I begin to ask me if it would be interesting to buy it. What are the pros and cons ? And exclusive games are good enough to justify the purchase ?
Sorry if I make english mistakes, I'm French.

Regards. :)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @jojolapin102, your English is good enough for us to understand perfectly! :)

The cons for me would be battery life and the lack of a Web browser. If you play demanding titles like 'Zelda'. The battery will only last 3 hours max.

On the pros side, the screen is pretty clear and it's nice that you can plug it into your TV and have a nice big display for multilayer games. The console is also really portable so you can take it anywhere you go.

I'm a big fan of the console. There a LOT of games coming so don't get despondent if you don't like anything that's currently being offered. 😃

It's definitely not for everyone. If you can play on one in store before you buy, I would recommend that.

B1ack0pz

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I think a Nintendo Switch for the PC gamer is the perfect compliment console. There is enough nuance to the Switch to offer a completely different gaming experience to the PC gamer. PS4 and XB1 have too similar a gaming experience, and quite honestly aren't even up to par with PC gaming. Being able to truly game on the go, in bed, in line waiting for whatever is just awesome!

Commodus

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll echo a bit here and say: if you're a regular PC gamer, the Switch is probably your best choice for a console. It'll give you a unique, portable experience that you can't get with Microsoft or Sony.

There aren't many games right now, but Nintendo already has a couple of must-haves for the Switch (Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) with more on the way, like Splatoon 2. Look at it this way: many people only bought BOTW alongside the Switch and are still happy playing that one game. You won't need a huge library of titles to enjoy it.

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I am primarily a mobile gamer (I've probably logged more hours in Space Miner Wars than anything else ever on my phones in my lifetime), but also have a console (360) and some PC games. I can tell you without a doubt all of those other games are now collecting dust as I've been playing Breath of the Wild on Switch. I don't know if it's the game or the console or a mixture of both. If it's just that game, then you can get it on Wii U if you happen to already have one. Since it's the only full game I've got on Switch right now, it's all the anecdotal evidence I can offer

Pros:
The ability to take it out and play for a few minutes at a time and then put it back to sleep
+
Plug it into the dock and get a more conventional stationary gaming setup
= Take a full AAA gaming experience on the go or sit back on the couch

That is the holy grail of [mobile] gaming in my experience

There are no cons. If you want graphics, you've got a PC with a more powerful GPU than you'll ever get in a console. Battery life is significantly better than Xbox One or PS4 or said PC with bigass GPU. I'm honestly shocked it'll last a few hours as it is. Battery packs will eventually be designed for it anyway, as they were with phones.

Only thing I can think of that'd make my experience significantly better is a micro sized controller sorta deal that'll fit in one pocket while the switch tablet itself sits in another, without analog sticks that stick out and get stuck on my pants pocket. That'd be exactly as mobile as the phone I was playing for hours and hours before switch.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Same thing I tell my customers when they ask me to make a decision for them, I'll tell you.... "It's for you to decide"

I got it because I always wanted to get a Wii U and never wanted to pay the price for an old console. I heard no new titles being released for it after BoTW and made the decision extremely easy.

Justin Loh

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of buying one myself. Other than battery life, isn't there an issue with the dock scratching the screen? Is that overblown?

May 16, 2017
Visit site
The hybrid nature of the Switch is a REALLY compelling feature. I prefer to play with my Switch docked. However, when I go get my tires swapped or end up in the doctor's waiting room, the ability to while away the time playing a game is just wonderful.

The downsides are relatively few games right now (getting better every day!), lack of support for Bluetooth headphones, and relatively weak WiFi reception. All in all, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. I would definitely recommend you get a Switch! I love mine!

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Screen scratching is easily prevented by getting a "Dock Sock" on Etsy.

Battery life is not that big a problem, IMHO. Who plays a portable console for more than 3 hours straight? Not many people. If you are one of them, then just get a high capacity battery pack to take with you.

SarahJFerg

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I never know what gaming console or handheld to purchase any more. It seems like everything becomes obsolete so quickly. Do you think the Nintendo Switch is going to stick around for a while or will kids be asking for the next hot ticket item within a year?

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I never know what gaming console or handheld to purchase any more. It seems like everything becomes obsolete so quickly. Do you think the Nintendo Switch is going to stick around for a while or will kids be asking for the next hot ticket item within a year?

I think Nintendo will stick with the Switch for a good long haul, but if you're asking whether something insanely cool will come out next year and all of a sudden we're all "Switch who?", that's kinda up in the air and depends on who throws down what cards.

I have a good feeling about the Switch. It's got that Wii-like quality to it--a novel gaming experience that sells better than specs. Mashing up the full gaming experience with the mobility of a tablet.

I'm not going to put it past Nintendo to do some insignificant updates to it within the next year or two (The NEW Nintendo Switch 3DSXLi!), but the original Switch hardware will remain relevant for the next few years while game developers push it to the limits.

However, a novel gaming experience can only trump specs to a point. The 360 eventually overtook the Wii. Some developers seem to be stuck in a place where they don't want to bring their games over to Switch because they feel like it's too weak (frankly I'm astonished I hold the power of an Xbox 360 or Wii U in the palm of my hands). If Nintendo doesn't try to bump up the performance at least once within the next couple years to make developers more comfortable with it, I could see someone like Microsoft eating their lunch by putting out a portable Xbox One mini. Something like the Switch but with 2x the battery life, the same weight and size, and oh btw it runs all Xbox One games at full 1080p, so it attracts all those developers back to the green pasture. That could slaughter the Switch's chances for third party games beyond that point, even if they don't get the core experience quite as good as Nintendo seems to have done.

zakbrat2004

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I would recommend the switch. It has a strong graphics card and good games. Another huge aspect is that you can play your games on the TV and then take it out, pop the Joy-con controllers on and then go anywhere with it. It is parting with over 50 other companies to make games, so expect good games. The Switch is totally worth getting!

erichards2

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm considering getting the switch. Question though, any ideas when there might be a price drop or discount? Would love to get the switch, but cash is a bit tight. ;)

jbiz404

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I would highly recommend it. It's such a great console, although there's limited options for games depending on what you enjoy playing.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
If you have a 4K TV, want to use your console to watch Blu Rays (especially 4K UHD) or to stream content from Amazon, Netflix, Vudu (especially 4K streaming) then No. Spend $50 less and get an Xbox One S bundle.

If you have a 720 or 1080 TV, want it purely for gaming, (especially with some portability) and will be content with the selection of games (mostly in-house 1st party titles) then sure. Go for it.

Darktroyd

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Don't worry, your English is great!

I recommend the Switch because the console has a ton of potential. I also recommend it because it allows for any type of lifestyle. I don't personally have a Switch, but I have many friends who do and they thoroughly enjoy using them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner