Best Nintendo Switch Accessories

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Well maybe it will be necessary for those with a family with some gamers:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/71iHG8vzEYL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, I have changed my opinion about these over time. When I first saw them on Amazon I wasn't all that impressed (as from what I could tell from just the pictures they just looked like a bit of plastic with a joycon shaped hole in them) but after seeing someone test them out on a YouTube video, they actually looked quite good.

That black rim you see around the edges is actually a proper hinged mechanism that clips it properly into place. After having used the JoyCon straps and hated them, these would actually make for a nice cheap alternative to the pro controller. (well, not quite, as the pro controller would still be a far superior experience, and these half grip thingies would only work for games that use the split joycon mode, so wouldn't work for all games, as you wouldn't have all four shoulder buttons in that mode)

but I have still really warmed to the idea of these grip things. Not many games out yet besides snipperclips that I would actually use them for though that use the separate joycon arrangement. But later on when more controller based split joycon playable games come out, I'd definitely consider getting some of these.

In the meantime, I think my favorite mode to play in is GamePad mode still. (with the exception of Splatoon 2, which after the global testfire last saturday, I found actually preferred using the JoyCon grip, but you need both JoyCons in it in order to play it in grip mode, so these split grip versions wouldn't work for that game).
Mariokart 8 Deluxe on the other hand when it comes out though, I think probably would! (I noticed it's just one side of a joycon which goes in the steering wheel attachments, so that one's a pretty safe bet that these split grips would work (admittedly, most people will just be using the wheel attachments anyway instead, but me personally I actually prefer playing mariokart with a controller. instead of a wheel). So it's good to know that there's a method for each type of payer. (though truth be told, I'll probably still play it in GamePad mode, so we'll see!)

Last edited:

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
You actually brought a lot of info, a full review I can say.
Thanks! Glad you found it useful! (though I perhaps wouldn't go that far)
I basically just ramble on too much! lol. (I'm awful for it at the best of times, but with anything to do with the Nintendo Switch it's really not hard to do!) -Has pretty much taken over my life at this stage!
hopefully more multiplayer games and more content
Cool! What sort of multiplayer stuff would you most like ti see?

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Actually any game in multilplayer should be good, more to keep the Nintendo Ecosystem alive, I like racing, FPS, combat and strategy.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually any game in multilplayer should be good, more to keep the Nintendo Ecosystem alive, I like racing, FPS, combat and strategy.

Definitely Mariokart 8 Deluxe will have online multiplayer modes for racing. For combat, Splatoon 2 definitely has aswell, and that can be alot of fun! (though I actually prefer playing that one offline though, as more experienced people just wind up totally whopping my a**, way more than I'd like to admit, but that's a different story!) lol. What sort of strategy games did you have in mind that you think would make a good multiplayer if any ever come out?

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Definitely Mariokart 8 Deluxe will have online multiplayer modes for racing. For combat, Splatoon 2 definitely has aswell, and that can be alot of fun! (though I actually prefer playing that one offline though, as more experienced people just wind up totally whopping my a**, way more than I'd like to admit, but that's a different story!) lol. What sort of strategy games did you have in mind that you think would make a good multiplayer if any ever come out?

I think something like Command and Conquer, StarCraft and even Master of Orion 3 could work pretty well.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I think something like Command and Conquer, StarCraft and even Master of Orion 3 could work pretty well.

Yeah, I'm sure alot of those ones would get a huge following that would work for multiplayer. (While I'm not much into those styles of combat games myself, everyone I know who are into most of the games you mentioned here were literally addicted to them!!) Let's put it this way... I know quite a few people who have lost their job after playing Command and Conquer all night and not shown up the next day! (so I dare say there'd never be any trouble waiting for enough people to come online for those ones, as alot of people will never have even left their room for days on end in the first place! lol.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I finally was able to get my hands on a Switch. The Pro Controller is a must if you're going to be using the console docked. The Joy Con controllers are barely passable, especially for extended gaming sessions.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I finally was able to get my hands on a Switch. The Pro Controller is a must if you're going to be using the console docked. The Joy Con controllers are barely passable, especially for extended gaming sessions.
Yeah, the pro-controllers definitely feel the nicest way to play for most things. I don't actually mind the joycons so much, but I know what you mean, the thumbsticks and shoulder buttons definitely feel alot more robust on a proper controller compared to how flyweight they feel on a joycon. (if you know what I mean).
It's a pity in some ways that the pro-controllers are not so easy to bring with you when you go out portable. (but then again, you can't with the wheels either for mariokart, so will probably playing that mostly at home) Personally, I like the controllers more than the wheels, but I'll be getting some anyway, because my daughter and her friends absolutely love them. I've ordered a couple of sets from different people, as after I bought the official nintendo ones, I noticed that the place I got my glass screen protectors from had recently brought out a better design which even has the lights on the front that shows you which player is connected to each wheel. (it's kinda weird how the Nintendo ones don't do that without you having to take out the joycon first). Not so sure they really thought that one through! lol.
Anyways, this is the one that has the lights on...
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCZO2LK
(I swear they must have changed the design aswell, as I'm pretty sure I didn't see these lights when I looked a while ago) but then again, they did used to say on the amazon images that they were "undergoing product enhancement", but they just didn't mention before what it was. (so I wish I knew that before). I do like what they did with it though. Definitely seems alot better in my opinion.

UPDATE: I've just noticed that the guy who's YouTube video channel I follow for all my switch accessories has actually got his and tested them out already. So here's what they look like in the flesh...
(He actually shows off another brand on this video aswell which also has lights, so looks like this idea is catching on!) I do prefer the round wheel style personally though, but that's just personal preference.

Last edited:

SonicMaster

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I think the essentials that you will need are the following:
-Screen Protector (to avoid unwanted scratches)
-SD Card (for more memory)
-Nintendo Switch Pro Controller/s (to enhance gaming experience)
-Carrying Case (to store your switch)
-more joy-con controllers (for multiplayer fun)

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
So far I think the Pro Controller is a nice addition to Switch.
Yeah, pro controllers are awesome. You still need something bigger if you want to bring them around with you though, like a laptop bag or something, as pro-controllers don't fit into most switch cases (except for the ridiculously gigantic ones that are too impractical to carry), but I do like the pro controllers for home use, and I often have a laptop bag with me anyway. (I never bother with the specially designed laptop bags though, as they're only really any good for the switch stuff, but not for anything else) so I actually find it's way more space efficient to use an ordinary laptop bag and just put the smaller more convenient Orzly travel case that I have into one of its pockets, and you've then got room for everything in the laptop bag for many other things (including wheels if you want to), plus an actual laptop, and tonnes of room for other stuff too. I find it's just easier that way in practice, than going the custom made route.

Last edited:

B1ack0pz

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Definitely an SD card and a glass screen protector would be my 1a and 1b choice for most important accessories. From there I would say a nice case (the Sheika Slate case included in the Zelda BotW special edition box set is AWESOME). From there it really is about accommodating other members of the family controller use.

ScottPC99

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I do not own a switch, but I echo what many people have said. I think the most important would be a screen protector and a large SD card. Beyond that I think it all depends on your budget. Lots of fun accessories that would be cool, but probably not as important as to protect your investment.

Jitse W

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if this counts as an accessory, but boy I would definitely buy this if I had a Switch. (and if it existed haha)switch-gamecube-controller.jpg

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people saying they want screen protectors, but I'm curious if people have been having problems with scratched screens? I generally prefer not to use protectors on my phones and tablets, but if the Switch is unusually prone to scratches that would be good to know!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods