Nintendo Switch - Is the cost justified?

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I got my hands on a Nintendo Switch the other day in Melbourne and kind of enjoyed it. Nintendo has always been good at bringing fun to entertainment and the Switch is no exception. But I did end up questioning the pricing model a bit.

For those out there that have purchased the Switch, does the cost justify the overall appeal/functionality of the Switch? Especially when compared with the price of the PS4 or the XBox One...?

Thoughts?

Regards.

miajustine

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't bought the switch yet because its a bit over my price range at the moment. Considering its a console/hand held device that alone I feel justifies the price. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Friends that have purchased it and say its well worth it.

I own an xbox one. I didn't purchase it right away I waited a while and was able to get it at a very good price which included games. I'm hoping that in a couple of months I can get the switch for a decent price with games.

I'm also hoping Nintendo does a new Animal Crossing game for the Switch. That would definitely encourage me to get it a lot quicker since I'm a huge fan. I bought a 3ds xl just to play ACNL

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I already saw Mr. Mobile's take on it. And he kind of articulated the same concerns that I have. Nintendo Switch's major appeal for me is the flair for fun any Nintendo console brings with it, but the major concern lies with availability of different titles and play-ability of said titles.

I was sad to learn that no Mario title made its way with the Switch. Mario Kart is a personal fave and it's good to know that it's going to hit the stores soon, but I'd prefer a more expansive Mario experience sooner than later! (With Mario Odyssey set to hit stores later this year)

The appeal of the Switch to be able to play on the go and easily switch modes, etc. is a great benefit. I probably will end up holding off for now and see where the market leads to in the next month or so.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't bought the switch yet because its a bit over my price range at the moment. Considering its a console/hand held device that alone I feel justifies the price. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Friends that have purchased it and say its well worth it.

I own an xbox one. I didn't purchase it right away I waited a while and was able to get it at a very good price which included games. I'm hoping that in a couple of months I can get the switch for a decent price with games.

I'm also hoping Nintendo does a new Animal Crossing game for the Switch. That would definitely encourage me to get it a lot quicker since I'm a huge fan. I bought a 3ds xl just to play ACNL

True that! I've heard a lot of wonderful things from my friends about the Switch as well. But considering the price tag of $469 AUD + cost of any titles to be purchased separately, its definitely a bit out of price range.

Here's to hoping for some great deals on the Switch and available titles sooner than later! :)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The titles will come. As popular as this thing as been, they can't keep them on the shelves, bodes well for it's success. Titles will come!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
At the moment I don't think the $300 price tag in the U.S. is justifiable. But that's right now in this moment of time. If it's a success then more demand will come for major titles to come to the Switch. Things like the 'Call Of Duty' series, Madden NFL, etc. Then the price will be justified.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
As everything maybe the release is a bit pricey because it's just the hype but maybe in just a couple of months the price will be about right, but I don't expect not much lower, I think it right now offers more than a PS4 or XBOX because of the portability, but it's comparing apples and oranges, Nintendo Switch is so new that it only has a few things to play and so on, maybe if this is the real path of Nintendo we will se how it does in just a few weeks.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The titles will come. As popular as this thing as been, they can't keep them on the shelves, bodes well for it's success. Titles will come!

Definitely agree with pkcable. :) The Nintendo switch has huge potential and i think the Devs know that which is why iMore listed about 20 games that are on their way out of the 80 coming. :) So game selection won't be a problem in about a years time. For now, patience is key.

With regards to price. I think that comes down to personal preference and how much you love it. For me, if you use something on a daily basis then its worth the money because it bring happiness t your life often. I cant take my PS4 Pro on the road with me but with the Switch i can, which i love. So I'm happy to pay the $299 for that ability. I do wish the games were a little cheaper though.

ar00tu

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
For those out there that have purchased the Switch, does the cost justify the overall appeal/functionality of the Switch? Especially when compared with the price of the PS4 or the XBox One...?

I'd personally only compare the Switch to a 3DS or an iPad. For the type of games that are likely to be available, I think the Switch will have more everyone rated ones than not and I'd expect few games like Doom or even Destiny to ever get a Switch release.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of getting Nintendo Switch over the PS4. I like the portability aspect.

The PS4 can be played via remote play on a Windows, Mac, Xperia, or a PS Vita. Good to keep that in mind as well. Now if you're thinking of portability outside the house, the Switch might just be what your need. The titles on the PS4 are grand however. The Switch, to me, would just be an additional purchase over the what Sony offers.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The PS4 can be played via remote play on a Windows, Mac, Xperia, or a PS Vita. Good to keep that in mind as well. Now if you're thinking of portability outside the house, the Switch might just be what your need. The titles on the PS4 are grand however. The Switch, to me, would just be an additional purchase over the what Sony offers.

This is exactly how I think of the Switch. More as an extra little thing aside from a PS4 or Xbox One.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to give them 299, just can't find the damn thing! Lol

If i had the spare cash. I would send you one. As a small thank you for my lovely sticker :) We have tons of stock available in South Africa. I went down to one shop today and there are boxes and boxes of them on the shelf haha.

Hopefully you can find some stock soon. Its awesome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox