What is your favorite way to play the Nintendo Switch?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest appeals of the Nintendo Switch is the way you fan modify, er, SWITCH modes to play it in almost any situation. Play it as one unit as a typical handheld... remove the display and use both controllers to play 2 player games with a friend....or, hook the darn thing up to your TV for some big screen action!

What is your favorite way to play? Or if you don't have one yet, which way do you THINK you'll enjoy most???

So excited for this it's not even funny. :p

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought about one, but know the kids would find some way to destroy it and/or fight over it so I skipped it.

This is why we can't have nice things.

If I had gotten one, I would probably just leave it docked to avoid that! ;)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I havent bought one just yet but if I'm just at home, i would definitely link it up to my TV. The big screen is always nice. Plus, it's able to output 1080p which is really awesome :D But what i love most, is that i can take it with me and attach the controllers on the side. Making it feel like a PS Vita except everything is better :)

Wish Nintendo all the best with this. GO BUY :D

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I feel like the ability to play on the tablet similar to the WiiU is one of the best features. I wouldn't take it with me out of my house but I would love to play it while sitting here watching sports on the big screen.

I'm just waiting for games to come out that are worth the money. Zelda isn't enough at the moment especially since I just bought a PS4 Pro and am awaiting Xbox Scorpio.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just waiting for games to come out that are worth the money. Zelda isn't enough at the moment especially since I just bought a PS4 Pro and am awaiting Xbox Scorpio.

That's another thing, there aren't many options to play just yet. Might be one of those things to revisit in a few months when things have settled down a bit and more games are available.

I do like what you said about being able to play it while watching something else on TV though :)

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
That's another thing, there aren't many options to play just yet. Might be one of those things to revisit in a few months when things have settled down a bit and more games are available.

I do like what you said about being able to play it while watching something else on TV though :)

I can watch TV through my phone and laptop with Xfinity X1 and play games on the big TV already but there is something about being able to watch on the 55" instead of a small display. Hockey is so much better on the big screen.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I can watch TV through my phone and laptop with Xfinity X1 and play games on the big TV already but there is something about being able to watch on the 55" instead of a small display. Hockey is so much better on the big screen.

definitely. put the games on the handheld, the sports on a big screen.

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Well. Playing for me will be in my daily commute. But my girlfriend told me that if I win we will have to share so....hehe my commute from time to time and Zelda at home on the big screen!

sittms1985

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I was hoping to find some info on the controllers here. Any suggestions on best controller set up before I pull the trigger on a switch? Is the Pro controller worth it?

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I was hoping to find some info on the controllers here. Any suggestions on best controller set up before I pull the trigger on a switch? Is the Pro controller worth it?

I don't have a switch (yet) but I would say the Pro controller is worth it. I'm not the biggest fan of the JoyCon controllers as I prefer traditional designs. The battery life is incredible so that alone makes it great

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a switch (yet) but I would say the Pro controller is worth it. I'm not the biggest fan of the JoyCon controllers as I prefer traditional designs. The battery life is incredible so that alone makes it great

Yes this definitely seems to be the general consensus everywhere I look. Personally my favorite way is playing in GamePad mode (so is just like a WiiU) but the Pro Controler experience definitely has alot of advantages (like the battery lasting longer, for example), but also because the shoulder buttons are better spaced out and not so close together. (many people mentioning about the analog sticks aswell, but personally I don't find the thumbsticks on the joycons to be a problem, so I'd say both experiences are good for that part).

The Pro Controller is probably best for playing at home, but the one caveat is that it's only really practical to use at home (as it's a bit big to take out with you, and won't fit in most travel cases). (even alot of the bigger ones) and the ones that are big enough to carry one comfortably without forcing them are just really awkward to carry. The JoyCon Grips can fit in some of the cases out there (but only just, and again don't fit at all in most). However, if you're playing with the joy-cons anyway, it's far easier to just have them attached to your tablet, so you don't ever need to bring a joy-con grip with you I tend to find. Your JoyCon batteries last longer by being constantly charged by the tablet, and the experience is like playing a WiiU that you can take with you anywhere. So I actually love doing it this way, and don't feel in any way disadvantaged by not having a pro controller out with me! (I think of it more as an added bonus for home) but I do get why people say a ProController is a slightly more superior gaming experience though, as they are extremely nice to use! (and feels much closer to what you're used to on previous consoles)

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Docked for me with the Pro Controller. Only have Zelda and can't stand using the JoyCon, especially for that game. I even take the controller to work to use, even though it's not with the dock.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I had an opportunity to use my friend's Switch for a little bit over the weekend. I'm not too thrilled with the Joy-Con controllers. I would go so far to say that they are awful and definitely the worst part about the Switch. The analog stick on the right controller is in a weird place, and I don't imagine it being comfortable over long play sessions.

B1ack0pz

May 15, 2017
Visit site
For sure in bed after putting kids down in handheld mode has been my preferred method. For multiplayer on big screen TV is best.

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
My preferred way to play is lying on the couch at my friend's house with the big tv. We take turns playing Breath of the Wild.

That being said I love the idea of spending hours playing the handheld while traveling.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Right now just docked, but we've literally had it for 48 hours. The kids were just talking taking it along for our next road trip .... My husband doesn't love the joycons bc they're so small, but he says the comfort adapter works well to address the issue.

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'd play it on lunch breaks maybe bike into a secluded part of town to play mostly. Or keep it in the car for times I'm waiting around, just jump in the back and kick back with some Zelda!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner