What do you think about the Nintendo Switch pricing?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am a single mom who pinched pennies to pay my family a WiiU that is only 2 yrs old and now I am stuck with a system that no one wants & no money to buy a Switch!
Personally I think Nintendo should offer a good trade in deal because its really not fair to the people who can't afford a new trend yearly!

is there a GameStop near you? They tend to have good trade in deals.

ceyvn

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Until the number of games for sale grows, the Switch will stay on my wishlist. I'd likely wait until the end of the year and review the situation.

camphoria

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Being in Canada, we're already faced with a ~30% markup on anything coming out of the States based on currency alone. Even with that consideration, I think the Switch is well priced. They've eschewed tablet resolution and a thin form factor to keep costs down, but it's still Nintendo through and through. They've built up the intellectual property, the characters, the stories, and quirky experiences to be able to command a higher price for their platform. They've also given their customers the cheapest option which is to play using their base design, or one can pay to improve their experience with added hardware. I'm sure there would be howls of disdain if Nintendo were to bundle the accessories (that not everyone needs nor wants) and at the current price it is competitive with the Xbox One S and way cheaper than the PS4 Pro (though there's no 4K). The fact that Nintendo has created a serious system that I can take with me when I travel – and keep it in my carry-on – is worth every penny they're charging.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I think they should have had an early adopter discount. Zelda is fun and will be for some time, but I don't see myself playing it past the summer. What will I play? MarioKart will only be fun with other friends. That splatoon beta wasn't bad either.

I paid $500 because I was an ***** and didn't pre-order in time and my mom & pop shop charges an arm & leg extra because they're the only ones with at times.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
The switch actually does not support SD cards at the moment. So you will have to save directly to the internal memory of the system. If that space runs out you have to delete files. Seems pretty weak to me.
Not strictly true. (unless you just mean the large shaped SD cards). The Switch does indeed support SD cards though. (the slot is at the back of the Switch just behind the kickstand). The type of SD card it uses are the "MicroSD XC" size. (Fortunately they don't have to be any specially made by nintendo, they're just standard cards that many cell phones use, not anything special, but the XC part is important, so always make sure it says that on the card you buy for it, and it will be fully compatible, no matter how many GBs of card you opt for). Not much point getting one just yet until more downloadable games are out, but once the gaming library gets bigger I'm thinking of doing it.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Not a Switch owner, but I haven't bought a fully priced game for my PS4 to this date. I always wait for sales. $60 is too steep when both disc and digital copies go on sale almost constantly.

Now hardware is a different story. Those are hard to find on sale I think. So it's best to take care of the ones you have. Yes they are a bit pricey, but they tend to last longer. That is, you'll use them more than you would a game.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Too expensive to me, personally. When you can get a PS4 Slim, with Uncharted 4, for $250 on sale... plus it supports HDR, all the popular streaming services, and built in Blu Ray player. Same can be said compared to the Xbox One S. Supports all the popular streaming apps including 4K streaming, built in 4K UHD Blu Ray player, tied in with Microsoft ecosystem including Groove music (stream music playlists while in-game) and XboxLive Gold giving you access to free games and deeply discounted game, weekly.

I'd sooner buy a second PS4 for a separate room in my home and a new game on sale, than buy the Switch at $299.

PocketSprocket

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I would love to get one but I can't justify the price as I'm not a huge gamer. And then you add on the accessories. Maybe if they bring down the price I'll get one.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the pricing is tight. This system is really not for everyone...but Nintendo has done a great job at bringing something different to the market

SonicMaster

May 13, 2017
Visit site
For me the price for the new Nintendo Switch is decent considering the new features especially the portability. It's a nice upgrade if you are from a Wii U.

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found that it's better to wait 6-12 months before I purchase any gaming system. The prices always come down and for me seem more reasonable. Although Nintendo probably prices their systems the most realistic when compared to the other two manufacturers.

Bobby Toledo

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I would love to live in the US and earn my income in US dollars. Buying consoles there is so cheap. The switch goes for 700$ in my country. Basic Setup

jsox78

Aug 30, 2011
johnbowersox.me
I'm probably still going to pick one up at some point, but I agree that the device is way over priced especially since I'll be buying a number of accessories to complete the system.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've never been a console gamer, although I'm not sure Switch can be called a console. I am a PC gamer and have been for a long time. I don't know what all you get for $300 but if that's your thing, then go for it.

Then again I just bought another Dell Precision laptop (i7, 8 core processor, 32 gig ram, nvidia graphics) for $2k so $300 might be a great deal. :)

B1ack0pz

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I think the price on the gaming console is spot on. Love the hybrid nature that you can't get anywhere else as good! Accessories need to come down in price a bit. Some gaming titles are priced a bit high as well. Things will surely change down the road I am sure, but no arguments on the price of this fantastic console.